BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
niksha87
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw X6

2017 BMW 640i GC Car play/Android auto

Hi everyone, I just bought my first BMW
I have a question:
Is there any way that you can unlock/install Car play or android auto
I saw on internet someone replace the whole display and someone installed the retrofit
Any advice would help
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 03:34 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Search is your friend.

I installed the NBT EVO head unit and absolutely love it. It’s an OEM solution only requiring a voltage adapter for the screen and a wifi adapter, and it functions perfectly. There are other options, but I prefer to spend my money once on an upgrade like this and know it will function flawlessly and is fine with all original parts.

I have a touchscreen waiting for me to install. Haven’t gotten around to it because it required some modification. As far as I could find there is no true plug and play touchscreen solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:36 AM   #3
640dGCDude
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksha87 View Post
Hi everyone, I just bought my first BMW
I have a question:
Is there any way that you can unlock/install Car play or android auto
I saw on internet someone replace the whole display and someone installed the retrofit
Any advice would help
Thank you
Hi. I have a 640d GC (2016). Currently trying to install the Road Top Airplay/Android Auto box (basically the same as the Bimmertech MMI). I'm having a complete nightmare with space. The wiring is all connected fine and the unit fires up and works perfectly. The issue is, the box simply doesn't fit underneath or behind the head unit.

I followed some instructions on the bimmertech YouTube channel where they're installing to a 2015 M6 GC. It seems that there are some minor differences between the year models. On the 2015 there is a larger space underneath the head unit whereas on mine the space is smaller meaning that the box won't slide under. I've heard some say about installing in the glove box but that seems a much greater job.

Any advice from other installs on post 2016 GCs appreciate
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 04:40 AM   #4
W3bbo
Rep
Drives: F06 Bmw

Had similar issues installing the unit in my 2012 GC (CIC). I did (just) manage to fit the unit underneath the HU. The problem is the bulky harness. There is space down the right hand side to squeeze most of it in if you have tied the wiring up neatly. The HU slots back in with about 1/2" standing out. You really have to push the unit back and then hold it in place and screw it in. I was very nervous doing this for fear of damaging the harness/HU but took the chance. Thankfully it all works fine and trim fits back perfectly.

If you can't do this then your only other option is to install it behind the glove box which means removing the glove box assembly. I didn't fancy that so went with the brute force method.
Appreciate 0