BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Detailing, Ceramic Coats, PPF

So I've had the 640d a few weeks and so far have had it remapped, but that's it. Its such a complete all-round car I really don't want to do much to it. I may add a different set of 19" alloys, as I want more of a deep dish rear to the current OEM wheel, but will probably go with M355 Reps and PSS tyres, but not yet.

My next move will be getting the car corrected and protected.

I've been looking at detailers in the region, and two have stood out. One offers mainly Gyeon (MOHS+) the other Gtechniq CS. Both accredited by those companies.

Paint / Roof

As the car is silver, swirls and blemishes aren't always easily visible, but there are a few scratches and stone chips I want to have repaired and corrected. As I have the sunroof I also want to have the roof wrapped gloss black to have a nice contrast. I don't have dark tinted rear windows (side or back) so I'm a little concerned the look won't be quite complete. Thoughts? Non-factory tints over the dot matrix can be poor.

Glass / Windscreen
Polished to clean up any very minor chips. Fully sealed, water repellent etc.

Calipers
I currently have black calipers, but have included in the quote to have them resprayed. Both detailers have said they'll only do them on the car, but will remove clips etc. and they are airbrushed for a smooth finish. Colour choice?
I'm thinking either the M performance blue, or a mid-silver grey like titanium colour, so not boring silver or black that is invisible. The front calipers are massive, so don't think they'll look like "low spec brakes" painted up.

LED Headlights
As the car has 50k miles on it, there are a couple minor chips on the headlights so they will be corrected / sanded and PPF applied for a permanent protection.

Interior

The interior will be protected with Gyeon / Gtechniq interior products to protect the leather dash, door cards, seats etc. and prevent UV fade.

Door sills, boot sill

Both will be protected with PPF to avoid the unavoidable scratches in these high traffic areas.

I need one alloy refurbing as it has some minor curb rash. One can do this, the other can't.

The quotes are similar, but will be around £1000.

I'm leaning towards the Gyeon MOHS+ which recently has been updated to 5yrs protection, as the detailer gets good reviews and provided a very detailed response. Only issue is he can't do the roof wrap due to personnel issues until end of August, so I'd have to wait.

Any thoughts? Anyone had similar work carried out?

Still the stock picture from when I bought it, but you get the idea:

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe
So I've had the 640d a few weeks and so far have had it remapped, but that's it. Its such a complete all-round car I really don't want to do much to it. I may add a different set of 19" alloys, as I want more of a deep dish rear to the current OEM wheel, but will probably go with M355 Reps and PSS tyres, but not yet.

My next move will be getting the car corrected and protected.

I've been looking at detailers in the region, and two have stood out. One offers mainly Gyeon (MOHS+) the other Gtechniq CS. Both accredited by those companies.

Paint / Roof

As the car is silver, swirls and blemishes aren't always easily visible, but there are a few scratches and stone chips I want to have repaired and corrected. As I have the sunroof I also want to have the roof wrapped gloss black to have a nice contrast. I don't have dark tinted rear windows (side or back) so I'm a little concerned the look won't be quite complete. Thoughts? Non-factory tints over the dot matrix can be poor.

Glass / Windscreen
Polished to clean up any very minor chips. Fully sealed, water repellent etc.

Calipers
I currently have black calipers, but have included in the quote to have them resprayed. Both detailers have said they'll only do them on the car, but will remove clips etc. and they are airbrushed for a smooth finish. Colour choice?
I'm thinking either the M performance blue, or a mid-silver grey like titanium colour, so not boring silver or black that is invisible. The front calipers are massive, so don't think they'll look like "low spec brakes" painted up.

LED Headlights
As the car has 50k miles on it, there are a couple minor chips on the headlights so they will be corrected / sanded and PPF applied for a permanent protection.

Interior

The interior will be protected with Gyeon / Gtechniq interior products to protect the leather dash, door cards, seats etc. and prevent UV fade.

Door sills, boot sill

Both will be protected with PPF to avoid the unavoidable scratches in these high traffic areas.

I need one alloy refurbing as it has some minor curb rash. One can do this, the other can't.

The quotes are similar, but will be around £1000.

I'm leaning towards the Gyeon MOHS+ which recently has been updated to 5yrs protection, as the detailer gets good reviews and provided a very detailed response. Only issue is he can't do the roof wrap due to personnel issues until end of August, so I'd have to wait.

Any thoughts? Anyone had similar work carried out?

Still the stock picture from when I bought it, but you get the idea:

Thanks
How are you finding it now the remap has settled down?
It will look lovely once it's all done I'm sure
Are you not a fan of 20's? I have 20's on mine and they do look the part imo.
      07-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

I've not had much opportunity to push the car since having it done and the motorway drive back. Mostly in town commuting and frequent rain since, but when I have had chance it certainly pulls smoothly.

I'd like to get it on a rolling road at some point to confirm the numbers.

I had someone in the car the other day and did a spirited acceleration from standstill. I did it in Sport rather than Sport+ and it felt slower from standstill, getting off the line than I expected. Maybe the Sport+ makes the difference.

With the gearbox being so smooth, and the power and acceleration being linear, it can be deceiving how quickly it's shifting. I had an old TT remapped and when the turbo spooled up it sat you back with a kick. The 640d sits you back to begin with, and doesn't have any turbo lag or kicks in the torque curve, so while it is quick, it's refined quick.

Any thoughts anyone on the detailing questions or caliper colour choices?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
Are you not a fan of 20's? I have 20's on mine and they do look the part imo.
I'm keen to keep it very comfortable, don't want it crashy or noisy. That was one of the main prompters to get away from the E85 Z4. Comfort

I like the look of the 20's, would have to be an OEM (or rep) wheel, nothing aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
I'm keen to keep it very comfortable, don't want it crashy or noisy. That was one of the main prompters to get away from the E85 Z4. Comfort

I like the look of the 20's, would have to be an OEM (or rep) wheel, nothing aftermarket.
My 1 year old AUC 640i came with 20" rims and I never liked the crashy ride, plus it's difficult to avoid kerb damage.
Best thing I did was to fit 18" rims with non-RF Conti Sport Contact 5 tyres. It transformed the ride, vastly improved steering feel and gave extra MPG.
I'm taking delivery of a brand new 640i in a few weeks and I had no hesitation in specifying 18" wheels. I'll be refitting the original 20s to trade in and depending on how it feels on the run-flats, I'll probably fit my Contis.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:16 AM   #6
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Detailing sounds like a good plan to me - I've had Crystal Serum applied to mine and the appearance and protection is fantastic - also says its a 7 year warranty with it?

In terms of brake calipers, I've always like red but perhaps blue would be more in keeping with BMW's native colour scheme?