BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Knocking sound from steering wheel

I've been feeling a very slight knock on my steering wheel while driving at low speeds in parking lots. Today my girlfriend told me she felt a slight knock underneath her feet while I was parking my car and reversing.
Anyone ever feel this?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When I recently took my car in for service, one of the managers went on a road test and confirmed that this knocking noise existed. He said it was most likely the design of the floating brake rotors and that these parts can touch the base and cause this issue. Does anyone else ever experience this at all or could something be wrong with my rotors?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
JC640ixM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 14 640ix Grand Coupe

Hello,
Yes, same noise on my 640ix M.
Would like to say it happens when it is cold more than not, but happens all the time now.
OF COURSE the tech couldn't "make it happen" during his test drive. About to go to a different shop about 80 miles from me just to get it fixed. Gladly I am still well under my warranty.

You are not imagining or crazy my friend.
Good luck!
JC
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for confirming this JC. please let me know if you find out what the cause is.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
BBLF13
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 650i Coupe

Unhappy +1

Hi,
I'm experiencing sort of the same thing with my 14' 650i coupe. Sort of a knock in the front passenger suspension/brakes area. But it only happens when the car is cold, only first 5-10 driving and on a very slight bumpy road. I tried bringing it into service and my service manager couldn't confirm. So no luck till now. Let me know if you have an update with this issue. Thanks!
Dinan Stage 1
H&R Lowering Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was reading some stuff about the wheel bearings being broken from the M5 guys. I am taking my car in for service next week to get this looked at. The clunking and knocking sounds are getting worse. I now hear them while going straight over slight bumps.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

That's definitely not normal. Go to another dealership in your area.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
BBLF13
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 650i Coupe

So it's not in the steering wheel right? More towards the wheel/suspension area?
Dinan Stage 1
H&R Lowering Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
mrainv23
mrainv23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe F06

Problem solved...dealer isolated this issue/ cause. My front H&R springs were binding as I turned the wheel and or slowly went over bumps. The binding caused the knock. h&r sent my dealer a sleeve to put in between the problem area and it resolved the issue. BMW grease also works.

Sold-BMW 550i F10/Dinan S3/ Eisenmann Race Exhaust/ Vossen CV3s
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
kemiller
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 650i

Suspension knocking

I have a 2009 650i that has just starting this knocking problem while turning at low speed in the last 6 months. Sounds to me like it's in the front. My wife thinks it's in the rear. I've also noticed a recent problem with camber in the rear wheels. Related? I'd be interested in knowing more about your spring binding problem.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think I finally got this issue resolved after months of going in and out for service.
Beverly Hills BMW (where I got my car from) has been quite incompetent in taking care of my car. They replaced my steering rack for no reason, saying it was the cause of the issue, but it only made it worse. They first said they performed an alignment, but I noticed it was off so I took in back in over a month later and they informed me the alignment was never performed. Even after doing it, the car was slightly pulling to the right.

I took my car to Charlie from McKenna BMW and they found that 2 of the 6 front subframe bolts were not torqued down correctly. These two loose bolts (giant ones) caused the front subframe to have some very slight play when going over uneven surfaces or turning the car. Charlie also mentioned that when Beverly Hills BMW replaced my steering rack, they should have dropped the subframe and re-torqued them, but it looked like it was done poorly. Luckily they did not find any damages done from this, but it could have been dangerous. Not only did they fix this clunking issue, but they also fixed my squeaky brakes and replaced them with a new design. The squeaking is not 100% gone, but it's a night and day difference now.

Thanks Charlie!
Appreciate 1