BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #23
Solstice1
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Birds B3

I did mention this on another thread, but I've got a set in the back of the workshop with 6mm if they are useful to anybody after changing to non rfts
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #24
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

I know you are not looking at new but I did a back to back with a A7 3l tdi (non bi turbo) and a 640D.

I had always been an Audi man for many years until I had a change to a F30, but after the F30 I thought I should keep my eyes open to everything in the market place such as a CLS, 640, new Xf etc.

The A7 was certainly nice on the inside (current debate on F30 about finishes v Audi at the mo) , fell in love with the extra cost blue paint not keen on the shape but for me it would have to be a bi turbo as the standard 3.0 tdi was not up to the 640 and the road handling of the 640 in comparison was superior for such a large car. Also the infotainment and technology was more advanced in the 6...

In the end I went for a 640 GC in tanzanite and I actually think it looks nicer than the coupe (wanted a coupe to start with).

I have now done 3k in the car and typical on my mixed journeys I am getting between 39-44 mpg and I don't hang around !

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #25
rich_e92_335d
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e92_335d View Post
I can second that about the dunlops! It's just taken me two weeks to track one down for mine after a bulge appeared!
I know how that feels mine was one of the last in the country and still took 4 days to arrive!

Although BMW make me laugh if you order one direct through BMW it is £420! So how can other places be doing them for £230-240.
Strangely enough one dealer quoted me 420 direct from BMW just like you.

Another dealer dos it me it for 250 + vat
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #26
rich_e92_335d
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Just wondering, if I bought a car with 60k miles on the clock, am I still entitled to buy the AUC warranty as long as it has been serviced by BMW ?

Also, out of interest, how many MPGs are you guys getting on the 640d? The specs say 50mpg but surely not!
Fuel wise...I managed northern Luxembourg to Leeds on one tank so they are pretty impressive on a steady run
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Was looking at the warranty - there seems to be 4 options but only the main 2 offer proper warranty for the car.

Just wondering if the Named Component warranty would be suitable for most of the major components such as the engine and gearbox etc.? I was quoted £98 per month or the comprehensive option which is £118 a month.

Would anyone here recommend warranty direct? I was reading somewhere and they seem to cover wear and tear components too ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #28
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Was looking at the warranty - there seems to be 4 options but only the main 2 offer proper warranty for the car.

Just wondering if the Named Component warranty would be suitable for most of the major components such as the engine and gearbox etc.? I was quoted £98 per month or the comprehensive option which is £118 a month.

Would anyone here recommend warranty direct? I was reading somewhere and they seem to cover wear and tear components too ?
I used warranty direct with my 335i and I think it was £500 a year and did cover wear & tare. Didn't use it as the car was fine but it was good having the peace of mind if anything did fail.
      04-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #29
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Having a look through WD's policy T & C's the top cover luxury care is only available up to 60K or 4 years old at the start of the policy.

Also like many others no modifications or alterations have been made to the manufacturer's original spec - be an interesting one if you put in additional OEM+ options....

Excess is cheaper than BM (if the £0 is not available)

The exclusions are fairly lengthy, as for wear and tear components most of the obvious stuff is excluded, and the difference between wear and tear and failure on a covered component could be questionable, to at least the point for me of being pointless. Hoses, pipes and mountings seem a common exclusion throughout, also watch as the amount of battery (and related battery components) exclusions seems very high and on a car like the 6 with so much reliance on it it would make think twice.

All ICE, Telephone and navigation systems excluded - idrive has problems you are screwed - I doubt you will find that excluded from the mondial one.

90 day exclusion (means for the first 3 months it is completely useless!)

Hire cars - at least 24 hours without your car no fuel or insurance covered (fuel I can understand the insurance side can be a pain for some if your policy does not cover you to drive other cars)

If you sell or dispose of the car you still have to pay it...to the full premium...

WD won't cover the full parts price from 70K onwards...which means the excess being low could easily melt away any real savings v BMW

The only other one I cannot find is about the maximum labour rate WD will accept I have a feeling it won't reach BMW main franchise prices though!

Overall yes the BM one is expensive and has a higher excess, but the costs of having to use it are more controlled from the start I have a feeling the WD one could quite easily get out of control. i.e. yes the premium is higher the excess is more than likely going to be higher, I know for the BM one if it is £100 excess then all the fee I will pay is £100....WD under 60K probably only £50, above the threshold above though WD could be pricey.

WD also seem difficult with diagnosis costs from reviews.

Last edited by NINJA59; 04-08-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Thx mate for going over the t&c. Very useful summary...... I recon I'll go for the BM one when I'm ready ?
      04-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I will read the mondial one tonight as it will be the only fair thing to do.

I am not 100% certain of the contents of it, I have skim read it once, but it was a while back (prior to buying the GC - but it was part of my original assessment and once out of manufacturer's I would get the BM one despite the cost on fully comp and emergency cover - I personally despite the cost find "comfort" in being able to lob the keys at any BMW dealership to sort it should something go wrong out of MW).

Worth doing it for myself, glad my years doing law were not wasted (as I go off to read more company related ones....)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The mondial comprehensive warranty

Available up to 100,000 miles (40,000 miles more than WD)

No where did I see a maximum claim limit for WD, the BMW one has this which is the invoice price of the car including VAT (note that driveline is up to £5K including VAT as the only exception).

Exceptions list is much smaller than WD - Battery, all exhaust components (except
catalytic converter), brake and clutch
facings, discs and drums, bulbs and
fuses, channels and guides, weather
strips and seals, handles, hinges and
check straps, trim, upholstery and
cosmetics finishes, bodywork,
paintwork, wheels and tyres, wiper
blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive
belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the
cleaning or adjustment of any
component, and all service items which
will require periodic replacement. Please
also refer to ‘Our policy on wear and
tear’ on page 20.

Regarding Wear and Tear Items I think this is fair overall -

"Our policy on wear and tear
During the service life of your
insured vehicle, normal degradation
will naturally occur to some
components, we term this ‘wear and
tear’. For instance, components which
are subjected to constant or sustained
periods of movement, such as
suspension bushes/ball joints and
steering joints, would be subject to
wear and tear. Dependant on the age
and mileage of your insured vehicle,
we may not be able to cover this type
of failure and the cost of replacement
will be your responsibility.
If you have the comprehensive level
of cover however, we have included all
insured components even if the failure
is due to normal degradation (wear
and tear) up to 100,000 miles from
the date of registration. In addition, if a
component has previously been
replaced with a BMW genuine part,
the same rule will apply, in this case
evidence of mileage at fitment will be
required."

Modifications are not covered a way from BMW's specification - I would check for those thinking of or have change to non RFT's - I have heard that many have had no problem with this, but worth a check as it may have changed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #33
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
The mondial comprehensive warranty

Available up to 100,000 miles (40,000 miles more than WD)

No where did I see a maximum claim limit for WD, the BMW one has this which is the invoice price of the car including VAT (note that driveline is up to £5K including VAT as the only exception).

Exceptions list is much smaller than WD - Battery, all exhaust components (except
catalytic converter), brake and clutch
facings, discs and drums, bulbs and
fuses, channels and guides, weather
strips and seals, handles, hinges and
check straps, trim, upholstery and
cosmetics finishes, bodywork,
paintwork, wheels and tyres, wiper
blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive
belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the
cleaning or adjustment of any
component, and all service items which
will require periodic replacement. Please
also refer to ‘Our policy on wear and
tear’ on page 20.

Regarding Wear and Tear Items I think this is fair overall -

"Our policy on wear and tear
During the service life of your
insured vehicle, normal degradation
will naturally occur to some
components, we term this ‘wear and
tear’. For instance, components which
are subjected to constant or sustained
periods of movement, such as
suspension bushes/ball joints and
steering joints, would be subject to
wear and tear. Dependant on the age
and mileage of your insured vehicle,
we may not be able to cover this type
of failure and the cost of replacement
will be your responsibility.
If you have the comprehensive level
of cover however, we have included all
insured components even if the failure
is due to normal degradation (wear
and tear) up to 100,000 miles from
the date of registration. In addition, if a
component has previously been
replaced with a BMW genuine part,
the same rule will apply, in this case
evidence of mileage at fitment will be
required."

Modifications are not covered a way from BMW's specification - I would check for those thinking of or have change to non RFT's - I have heard that many have had no problem with this, but worth a check as it may have changed.

One thing I've found with BMW AUC is if you have a decent relationship with your dealer the wear and tear policy can be very flexible, since a repair is a sale to the dealer

Last year my tension struts were knackered on my 5 yr old 7 series, should have been wear and tear, dealership said they failed and it was done under warranty

Sunroof motor was the same, a seal had given way and let in water, so shouldn't have been covered, dealership got it done under mechanical failure

It pays dividends to get a car locally and keep with the same dealer and get some kind of rappor going with the service lads
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #34
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
One thing I've found with BMW AUC is if you have a decent relationship with your dealer the wear and tear policy can be very flexible, since a repair is a sale to the dealer

Last year my tension struts were knackered on my 5 yr old 7 series, should have been wear and tear, dealership said they failed and it was done under warranty

Sunroof motor was the same, a seal had given way and let in water, so shouldn't have been covered, dealership got it done under mechanical failure

It pays dividends to get a car locally and keep with the same dealer and get some kind of rappor going with the service lads
Thats good to know - so normally the the warranty only covers cars upto 3 years old but because your dealership liked you, they did you a favour and put these things as "under warranty" even though it has already expired ?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #35
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Thats good to know - so normally the the warranty only covers cars upto 3 years old but because your dealership liked you, they did you a favour and put these things as "under warranty" even though it has already expired ?
No it was still under Mondial extended warranty but should not be covered as they were wear and tear however they still covered it making the extended warranty bulletproof for me

Usually if they can, They try to put everything they can down to wear and tear as its a sale for them and a happy customer.

When they put a warranty claim in to Mondial, Mondial is effectively a customer so it's in their best interests to get a sale

So dealers are pretty easy to deal with when processing warranty claims, where warranty direct etc are more difficult in my opinion mate
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #36
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
They try to put everything they can down to wear and tear as its a sale for them and a happy customer.

When they put a warranty claim in to Mondial, Mondial is effectively a customer so it's in their best interests to get a sale

So dealers are pretty easy to deal with when processing warranty claims, where warranty direct etc are more difficult in my opinion mate
Is Mondial independent of the BMW Warranty? I can't seem to find their prices...

I can only see this on thier website:

http://www.mondial-assistance.com/co...at-we-do/auto/
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #37
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Is Mondial independent of the BMW Warranty? I can't seem to find their prices...

I can only see this on thier website:

http://www.mondial-assistance.com/co...at-we-do/auto/
It's the one that you get offered by BMW once you're goes over 3 years, the one we've been discussing thru the entire thread

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Start

Last edited by Rufus123; 04-08-2016 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Start
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #38
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Just wondering, was looking at this advert:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...13/5461811?v=b

Is that speedometer an optional extra? It looks like a LCD screen? I thought the 6 series have a physical dial on the speedometer ?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #39
rich_e92_335d
Private
England
Rep

I believe the 'multi function instrument panel' was an option on earlier cars but is standard on the LCI
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #40
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It was an option on pre LCI cars, LCI get it standard alongside the LED headlights (not adaptive ones but cheap to upgrade unlike pre LCI cars).

In regards to the warranty you need the registration number, once you run that through the extended warranty you have the VIN and can use one of the decoders to get the full build spec of the car quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #41
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Just wondering, if I bought a car with an alloy I don't like, is there anywhere I can do a part exchange for those unwanted alloys ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #42
BMWLad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 640d

No that I'm aware of Ace however why not throw winter tyres on them and use them as winter wheels?
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #43
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

What are your thoughts on this car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ault&logcode=p

Seems pretty damn cheap for a GC @ 40k miles... Can prob knock it down to 25k I recon. Only thing putting me off is the lack of the M Sport kit but the interior looks well lush. What is so special with the "dealer launch" model?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:34 AM   #44
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The dealer launch model means it was the first one used at a dealership - item code 999.

My only thing is it is a 2012 model and they lack some of the benefits of the later years, that really started in 2013.

I would also be interested to know whether any of the apps, internet and remote services still work as the car is over 3 years old and from memory they were only "free" until 3 years after build, from then on it is about £120 a year.

Note for those like me this means my car lost 6 months, as it was built March 2015, but did not get registered in the UK until September!

Over the service pack it is the old 5 year or 60K, now I would check in idrive when it's next service is due mileage and year and whether you will get any benefit at all as chances are you may not (taking a punt and saying from the DVLA it was registered in May 2012, I doubt you will).

It's mot history is clear, although bizarrely it got an MOT in October 2014 (only 2 years from the registration date instead of the legally allowed 3). At that MOT in 2014 it only had 19K on, by October last year it had 35K.

I took the liberty of running it through the VIN decoder for the full spec:

Vehicle information

VIN long WBA6A62080DG65065

Type code 6A62

Type 640D (EUR)

Dev. series F06 ()

Line 6

Body type COUPE

Steering RL

Door count 4

Engine N57Z

Cubical capacity 3.00

Power 230

Transmision HECK

Gearbox AUT

Colour MINERALWEISS METALLIC (A96)

Upholstery EXCL.LEDER NAPPA ERW./SCHWARZ (NASW)

Prod. date 2012-04-05

Order options
No. Description
1CB CO2 CONTENT

2H9 20"LT/ALY WHEELS V-SPOKE 356/MB/NL

2PA LOCKING WHEEL BOLTS

223 DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL

230 EU SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT

3AG BACKUP CAMERA

302 ALARM SYSTEM

322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM

323 SOFT CLOSE AUTOMATIC SYSTEM FOR DOORS

4AS FINE-WOOD TRIM OPLAR GRAIN GREY

4KS QUILT LOCK STITCH.IN CONTRATING COL

4ND INSTRUMENT PANEL WITH LEATHER FINI

4UR AMBIENT LIGHT

403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC

423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR

428 WARNING TRIANGLE

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

441 SMOKERS PACKAGE

456 COMFORT SEATS, ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE

488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

5A1 LED-FOG LIGHTS

5DL SURROUND VIEW

508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)

6AA BMW TELESERVICES

6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES

6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE

6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH

6NR APPS

6VA CIC CONTROL

6VC CONTROL COMBOX

609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL

612 BMW ASSIST

614 INTERNET PREPARATION

615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION

616 BMW ONLINE

620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM

633 PREP.MOB. PH. BUSINESS BLUET.INTERF.

654 DAB TUNER

698 AREA-CODE 2

761 INDIVIDUAL SUN PROTECTION GLAZING

8KA OELSERVICE INT. 30.000 KM/24 MONTHS

8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE

8SM VIN, VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE

8S2 CODING OF ALARM SIGNAL

8S3 AUTOMATIC LOCK WHEN DRIVING AWAY

8TF ACTIVE PROTECTION FOR PEDESTRIANS

8TG ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM

8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B

812 ENGLAND VERSION