BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

Why BMW boosting it's V8's are Killing Batteries

Not sure if you guys are aware of this new CCP that includes 5, 6, 7, X5, X6
V8 engines. I have this problem and my dealer said it was my iPod Nano that was draining the batteries. Ha!! This is HUGE!!

Here is one article.......
The N63 engine is used in various 5 Series, 6 Series, and 7 Series cars, as well as X5 and X6 SUVs. A related version called the S63 is used in M performance models.
To help save fuel, BMW equipped the N63 with a "smart-charging" system that only charges the battery while a vehicle is coasting.
This proved problematic in the U.S., because drivers here tend to coast comparatively less than their European counterparts.
In response, BMW switched to Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, which can deal with deeper and more frequent charging cycles.
However, because of very hot turbochargers nestled in between the cylinder banks, the N63's cooling system must run long after the engine is shut down.
That draw was more than the original AGM batteries could handle, so BMW is now swapping out those 90-Ah units for 105-Ah batteries.
The company issued a service bulletin saying this should be done at each oil change--an interval of 10,000 miles.
So the batteries in these twin-turbo V-8 cars and SUVs are now only expected to last as long as the engine oil.
2015 BMW 5 Series2015 BMW 5 Series
Incidentally, that oil-change interval is actually lower than the original 15,000 miles BMW specified when this engine first went into production.
It made that change after finding out that N63 engines were consuming an alarming amount of oil.
And that's because these powerful engines are so under-stressed in everyday driving that many are never properly broken in, BMW claims. Seriously.
In addition to recommending more frequent oil and battery changes, BMW is also replacing parts known to prematurely break as part of a cleverly-named Customer Care Package.
The goal is to compensate for the issues identified by real-world users without socking owners with additional cost, as long as the warranty is in force.
Compromise is a necessary part of life, but in this case it seems reliability was affected by the pursuit of performance and efficiency.

From R&T Magazine.......
BMW is quietly rolling out a Customer Care Package, or CCP, for its N63 twin-turbocharged V8 to fix a handful of glitches that have plagued the 4.4L since it was launched in 2008. The CCP is not a recall since it does not address safety-related concerns.
According to Road & Track, the CCP covers a wide range of items, from timing chains prone to failure to leaky fuel lines to faulty vacuum pumps. The CCP even reduces the N63's oil service interval from 15,000 miles to 10,000 miles. Interestingly, that reduction in mileage is the result of customers taking it too easy on the V8 rather than the other way around -- without a proper flogging during the break-in period, the N63 has a tendency to consume more oil.

But the most interesting bit of the CCP has to do with batteries. Simply put, the turbocharged N63 was eating through them at an alarming rate.

The battery issue stems from BMW's smart charging system. Designed to increase fuel economy by reducing drag, the system only tops off the batteries when the vehicle is coasting. However, most Americans don't coast while they drive, resulting in depleted batteries that were difficult to keep charged.

BMW tried to fix that issue by switching to Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries that are more adept at handling deeper and more frequent discharges. That served as a band-aid until BMW fitted hot-running turbochargers to its V8, which required the cooling system to keep running after the vehicle was turned off. Even after bumping the batteries from 90-Ah AGMs to 105-Ah AGMs, the batteries still have to be replaced every 10,000 miles, or at every oil change.

A real solution to the problem would require BMW to remap its charging system. However, because that would involve more frequent charging, BMW would have to recertify with the EPA and would inevitably end up with lower fuel economy ratings. Needless to say, that would result in more than a handful of unhappy owners whose cars suddenly get worse mileage than advertised.

BMW looks to be out of viable options at this point, but it's a safe bet that the company will have the problem sorted with its next-generation of turbocharged engines.

Last edited by fitmaster; 05-14-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

New battery every 10,000 miles

Frequent oil changes now 10,000. miles and a new battery. Unbelievable!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Huh! Safe to assume this will also be rolled out to us S63 owners as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

"Without a proper flogging in the break in period' what does that mean? They want us to drive the car hard durring break in?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

I always coast when I slow from 160-80
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
"Without a proper flogging in the break in period' what does that mean? They want us to drive the car hard durring break in?
This has always been a area of contention. Most (all?) car/motorcycle manufacturers STRONGLY recommend a gentle break-in period. Most tuners/racers/etc... I've spoken with advocate a VERY hard break-in period. Common wisdom in that crowd seems to be that this will better seat the piston rings and lead to better compression in the engine, with less blow-by. I assumed the BMW M group would recommend the correct behavior for break-in, but this write-up makes it sound like in fact the gentle break-in IS responsible for excess oil consumption (which lines up with the hard break-in advocates)....
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
figgie
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
This has always been a area of contention. Most (all?) car/motorcycle manufacturers STRONGLY recommend a gentle break-in period. Most tuners/racers/etc... I've spoken with advocate a VERY hard break-in period. Common wisdom in that crowd seems to be that this will better seat the piston rings and lead to better compression in the engine, with less blow-by. I assumed the BMW M group would recommend the correct behavior for break-in, but this write-up makes it sound like in fact the gentle break-in IS responsible for excess oil consumption (which lines up with the hard break-in advocates)....
yes.

the hard break-in is especially needed in forced induction cars as the added pressure puts even more force on the ring expansion to allow for a proper seat in. I never understood the 1 quart consumption every 3k from the BMW "recommendation". That is insanity. I have seen and built quad digit motor with a lot less consumtion than that.

and by intial, Once the engine is running and warmed up. you have roughly about 15 minutes before that opportunity is lost.

(my experience pertains to Turbo supra's so yes, we do break the 2JZ-GTE and the older 7m-GTE hard).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
potassium3000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

*Break in - agree with hard break-in statement and don’t think theres contention especially on this forum - thats what all the info I could find said, and what was subtly suggested in the manual - but it is weird to read such a bold statement in this article. Time will if I was right to do it!

*Battery - fair enough, BMW have a chink to work out with the balance\settings for the battery - BUT are they going to pay for new ones when I take the M in for service ? I will be using the statement above to tell them NO!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
AllCarbonEverything
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Black Sapphire X6M

With BMW service so good, if they have to replace the battery at service, im sure they would wouldnt they? Especially if this bulletin is posted to the dealers?

Have many people have even been noticeably affected by this??
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

The article you are referencing is for a N63 engine which is vastly different in technology to the s63tu engine. Do you have anything else showing this is applicable to the s63tu engine?

EDIT: JUST NOTICED YOU DO REFERENCE S63 ENGINE.

I just sent an email over to my service guy. I am in really good with him so he will do some digging on his end to get the nitty gritty on this from whatever systems they have in place that reference the bulletins.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast

Last edited by bigbrian; 05-14-2015 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
This is really true. I brought in my M6 GC for the 20k mile service and they swapped out the battery today.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Seems to be true, my 2013 M6 has done 10k miles and the battery has just been replaced under warranty by BMW as it never made it's required charge overnight
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
This is really true. I brought in my M6 GC for the 20k mile service and they swapped out the battery today.
You may want to make sure they replaced it with the 105 APH battery, not the smaller 90 APH as mentioned. I had my battery replaced also and am checking on the amps.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's my understanding that BMW will replace the battery with every 10,000 mile oil change as long as your car is covered under warranty with the just released (Customer Care Package) CCP. After that, you are on your own. Just a bad engine design placing the turbo in the heart of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Another reason not to use the stop/start feature, as this is known to put more strain on the battery. I never use it. BTW -- I have 24k miles on my car, owned it for almost 3 years, and have never had a battery issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

18k on the clock and never had any issue with battery. no battery replacement so far...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

I'm at 24k now, just had a service after the battery went totally flat dead. After a jump all was good till 3 weeks later the blind spot detection and other systems simultaneously failed.

Dealer says that the car is running too long off battery power when it's off. They say the charge is good though now after the service. No battery replacement.

Now I'm thinking it's the extended cooling times when the car is off that's causing this problem.
      05-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #18
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 535i

Lots of blame being thrown at BMW here, that's silly.

They're doing this because they are desperately trying to drag every last MPG they can out of their cars, thanks to the absolutely insane CAFE standards imposed by our useless government. I'm quite sure they don't want this to actually be the case.

I feel like moving to an aftermarket battery would be a better solution. There's no reason a battery should be needing to be swapped every 10k miles. Optima, or if you have the money - a lithium battery by Voltphreaks would seem to eliminate this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:39 AM   #19
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I always connect a 1.25A battery tender when the car is in my garage. I've noticed that even after a long run (5 hours) it can take the tender more than 24 hours to indicate that the battery is fully charged.

I've not had any battery problems though, now on 23k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #20
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCypher View Post
I'm at 24k now, just had a service after the battery went totally flat dead. After a jump all was good till 3 weeks later the blind spot detection and other systems simultaneously failed.

Dealer says that the car is running too long off battery power when it's off. They say the charge is good though now after the service. No battery replacement.

Now I'm thinking it's the extended cooling times when the car is off that's causing this problem.
This is one of the problem I am having. Extended aux fan ran 32 minutes after shut down last week. The start up screen occasionally will not remember last setting and occasionally I have two screens overlapping each other. BMW tech is trying to identify and repair but they are telling me that it all leads to the battery. So, battery may be good but you may want to check other electronics and software issues. BMW did a software update recently and it made it worst with new issues. Very frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #21
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarbonEverything View Post
With BMW service so good, if they have to replace the battery at service, im sure they would wouldnt they? Especially if this bulletin is posted to the dealers?

Have many people have even been noticeably affected by this??
It's issued quietly by BMW as a (Customer Care Package) CCP, not a safety recall and you will not be notified. So as you get your car serviced, they will replace the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
Another reason not to use the stop/start feature, as this is known to put more strain on the battery.
Exactly. I'm glad they made this feature optional vs. the first cars that came out with this hard coded.
Appreciate 0