BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan eventually

Got my drive, now what... (computer guys)

I got the new drive and enclosure, plugged it into my computer and nothing happened. Checked under my computer and everything, nothing. I mean the drive is on and running, i just cant get to it... HELP
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
ok you need a little more details there. It sounds like you got an external hard drive and an enclosure.

Did you hook the hard drive up right in the enclosure - Power and data.
How does it conenct to the comptuer - USB, Firewire
do you hear the drive spin up when you power it on.
Go into the device manager and search for new hardware. PM me if you need help
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Is there any software required?
      11-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
leeJ
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd13
Is there any software required?
yep, some of the HD's requires to install their software first.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
usually if you have a new computer and a new hard drive (as in both items are current) you should be able to plug&play. the cd's that come with a hard drive are normally programs that make the hard drive easier to use... but of course many people wont bother cause its PLUG&PLAY yada. anyways... external hard drives arent the most reliable... so if ur computer does not indicate that there is an external HD, i'd return to the store and ask them to check if the HD is functional.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
usually if you have a new computer and a new hard drive (as in both items are current) you should be able to plug&play. the cd's that come with a hard drive are normally programs that make the hard drive easier to use... but of course many people wont bother cause its PLUG&PLAY yada. anyways... external hard drives arent the most reliable... so if ur computer does not indicate that there is an external HD, i'd return to the store and ask them to check if the HD is functional.

what he said...it should b plug-n-play. if not, check to see if the HDD works...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep

I bought an internal 3.5inch hard drive and an enclosure. I hooked everything up, I hear something whirring, but it may just be the fan that came with the enclosure. I think im just gonna call the place that I bought it from.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep

I went in and unplugged the fan just to check and see if the hard drive itself was working, it is operating. Also, I went into my device manager and it indicates a "USB 2.0 storage device" so im assuming the computer knows its there, it just wont show up under my computer. I bought the damn thing to put my music on because the hard drive on my laptop is out of space. My computer is a toshiba with windows xp. Hope this helps

Thanks guys i am am not technically inclined at all...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygarcia
I bought an internal 3.5inch hard drive and an enclosure. I hooked everything up, I hear something whirring, but it may just be the fan that came with the enclosure. I think im just gonna call the place that I bought it from.
SO ITS AN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE?

Assuming you hooked up the power source and the cable thing (i forget what theyr called), the last step is to switch the neutral setting of the hard drive to secondary or primary (depends on whether its linked to thethe secondary or primary position of that cable). Then you need to format the hard drive.... thats about it.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
SO ITS AN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE?

Assuming you hooked up the power source and the cable thing (i forget what theyr called), the last step is to switch the neutral setting of the hard drive to secondary or primary (depends on whether its linked to thethe secondary or primary position of that cable). Then you need to format the hard drive.... thats about it.
It is an internal hard drive. How do i switch it from neutral to secondary or primary? Also, how do i format it?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
If it's an internal drive why did you get an enclosure? Just open the main case and install it there. No need for external power bricks, two cables funning every which way. Now if you don't haver space inside the case, now that's a different story.

With the external enclosures you need to ensure the jumper switches on the hard drive are set as the instructions say (you did read the instructions, didn't you? ).
Have you loaded the drivers? Some enclosure models require their own driver, others are just plug and play.
Does your operating system support USB? I know that sounds silly but how old is the computer?
Does the BIOS recognize the size of the hard drive? I tried to install a 200GB internal drive but my BIOS didn't recognize it because the BIOS was too old.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
do you know what I mean by primary or secondary drive?

the IDE jumper (the thing long thing that connects to the motherboard) has two inserts... one at the end (PRIMARY) and one in the middle (SECONDARY)

if you have a primary drive (cd drive, hard drive, something else), then you connect the middle input to your drive

LOOK ON THE PICTURE BELOW. there should be a sticker on your hard drive which tells you where to place the little black object in the middle of the jumper to make the hard drive a SECONDARY OR PRIMARY drive.

*YOU DO NOT NEED DRIVERS FOR INTERNAL HARDDRIVES

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep

Its primary, and i hooked it up right, it was pretty easy. Just put the big one in the big slot, the smaller one in the smaller slot, etc. I mean the drive is working, my computer dings when i plug the usb cable in and dings when i take it out, acknowleging that the drive is there, I just cant access the damn thing...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
internal hard drives use usb? are you sure its not an external hard drive. external hard drives use usb.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
can you take a picture of your drive... it would make things so much easier.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #16
CraigG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo

He bought an internal HD and bought an external case for it to avoid paying the premium for external HD's.

Mine came with a driver, when you plug it into the computer and hear the USB 'dun-dun' it doesn't pop up with anything?
      11-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #17
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

what is the name of the drive you bought and can we see photo pls...Also, if it is used as an external drive, I don't think you should set it as primary. In addition, if this is an internal hard drive that is enclosed in an external case, I think some sort of formatting is needed. When formating, be very carefull. Do not format drive C or D if the operating system is on it. To format, you click on start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, computer management, storage, disk management. under disk management, you should already see System(C and possibly DATA(D if you have a second partition. Now, you need to look for the new unformatted drive and go from there. You can go to google and do a search on formatting in XP and you should have more reading sources to reference. GL.

Be careful and never format C or D...
      11-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #18
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

jerrygarcia,

The reason you can't see your drive is because you need to format it...as for what to pin setting to set the hard drive...put it on cable select or primary. Follow the steps below to format your hard drive (assumes that you are using win xp)

Start Menu
Right Click on My Computer
Choose Manage
In the Computer Mangement Window go to Disk Management
Here you ought to see your C drive (disk 0) then you ought to see your new usb drive (disk 1)
Right click on the drive properites (the long side on the right side) and choose format.
NFTS file system, choose to give it a letter or a name and tell it to quick format.

There might be a few other options I can't remember off the top of my head but if you have any questions just post here or PM me. Sorry it took me so long to post...I usually don't check back here after 5 pm est
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #19
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcwv
jerrygarcia,

The reason you can't see your drive is because you need to format it...as for what to pin setting to set the hard drive...put it on cable select or primary. Follow the steps below to format your hard drive (assumes that you are using win xp)

Start Menu
Right Click on My Computer
Choose Manage
In the Computer Mangement Window go to Disk Management
Here you ought to see your C drive (disk 0) then you ought to see your new usb drive (disk 1)
Right click on the drive properites (the long side on the right side) and choose format.
NFTS file system, choose to give it a letter or a name and tell it to quick format.

There might be a few other options I can't remember off the top of my head but if you have any questions just post here or PM me. Sorry it took me so long to post...I usually don't check back here after 5 pm est
The thing is it wont let me format, its a option when i right click, i just cant click it. You know how its black when you can click it and grey when you cant, well it is grey. I hope this help, this is just confusing me...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeJ
yep, some of the HD's requires to install their software first.
Right, I knew that. I was basically asking him if he has installed any required drivers.
      11-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygarcia
The thing is it wont let me format, its a option when i right click, i just cant click it. You know how its black when you can click it and grey when you cant, well it is grey. I hope this help, this is just confusing me...
do you have administrative rights on your laptop? Go to User Account in Control Panel and click on your user name and see if you are the computer administrator.
      11-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #22
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

You should be able to format an external drive as a regular user double check to make sure your not trying to format you disk 0 (your local disk, C: drive). Send a screen shot if you can. You may want to double check and see if you have admin rights and if not try it as an admin user (wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong). Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0