BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

iDrive Office Messages Function

Does anyone here have any experience with SMS/email notifications on iDrive Office? For some reason, I can only see Contacts when I go into the Office menu. I believe the latest BMW bluetooth firmware offers Current Office which shows SMS and Emails. I have tried pairing with both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 running IOS6 to no avail. Any advice or photos of working iDrive Office functions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Hey Andreo, I was looking on www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth just doing some research before my 6GC is delivered and unfortunately none of the office features work with Iphone. I'm not sure about the latest BMW bluetooth firmware but I just looked at the website about a hour ago and unfortunately iPhone 4s or 5 don't work with office.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeses83
Hey Andreo, I was looking on www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth just doing some research before my 6GC is delivered and unfortunately none of the office features work with Iphone. I'm not sure about the latest BMW bluetooth firmware but I just looked at the website about a hour ago and unfortunately iPhone 4s or 5 don't work with office.
That's unfortunate. I did see some success amongst other owners posted on some forums when IOS6 was amidst beta testing. Perhaps a later BMW firmware or IOS version may fix it. We can only hope.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Make sure you've turned the email/sms function on under the bluetooth settings on the iPhones so iDrive can access them. Also the iDrive will only display new unread emails or SMS messages, not ones already read.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcgavock
Make sure you've turned the email/sms function on under the bluetooth settings on the iPhones so iDrive can access them. Also the iDrive will only display new unread emails or SMS messages, not ones already read.
Thanks. Do you have a screenshot of your iPhone settings? I can't seem to find anything specific to email/SMS under Bluetooth settings on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No I don't sorry (Haven't got it paired up), but I know you go in Settings, Bluetooth, Select the BMW *****, then 'Show Notifications' needs to be on

Hope that can be of help.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Only works for SMS, not for e-mails.

It's a firmware problem. Hopefully BMWNA will come out with a software update/patch.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I know SMS definitely works over here in the UK, never really noticed emails, i'll have to keep a look out to see if they come through.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. For my case, I can't even get the proper configuration done for SMS. There were numerous posts mentioning that "Show Notifications" on my iPhone needs to be switched on under Bluetooth but it is not available when paired to my car. If you folks got it working for SMS, any screenshots of your phone and car would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
vegadonovan
Rep
Drives: F12 Black

I can see the message option too but can't get any messages. on SMS or Imessage or emails from outlook or hotmail.

IPhone IOS6 with notifications turned on. Also unpair and paired again.

There's this "Other telephone option in the IDRIVE setting" does anyone know what it does? Does it need to be enabled?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadonovan
I can see the message option too but can't get any messages. on SMS or Imessage or emails from outlook or hotmail.

IPhone IOS6 with notifications turned on. Also unpair and paired again.

There's this "Other telephone option in the IDRIVE setting" does anyone know what it does? Does it need to be enabled?
Did the "Show Notifications" slider appear under Bluetooth settings on your phone when paired with iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadonovan View Post
This allows you to have two phones paired to the car, so if you've got another phone you can set it as the second phone I believe. I've never tried it, but it shouldn't be selected.

Regarding screenshots, I managed to get one today. I would have done one sooner for you but only just got round to it, sorry. (This is paired with BMW X5 2012 model, i'd presume they are nearly the same iDrive)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I was able to receive e-mails this morning when I toggled the notifications switch off then back on. Oddly, the e-mails showed up as text messages. Hopefully a software fix incoming soon. I'm certainly not messing with the notifications switch every time I get in the car. I might bother before a long trip, but it's hardly an operator friendly system at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I was able to receive e-mails this morning when I toggled the notifications switch off then back on. Oddly, the e-mails showed up as text messages. Hopefully a software fix incoming soon. I'm certainly not messing with the notifications switch every time I get in the car. I might bother before a long trip, but it's hardly an operator friendly system at the moment.
Which is frustrating because the iDrive was designed with the iPhone in mind.

BB's get e-mail, and iPhones don't?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
vegadonovan
Rep

Good news. Somehow the messages came up and also text to speech is working. It worked after i did this.

1)Driving and using bluetooth as usual. ( ensure that pairing is done)
2) toggle iphone 5, show notifications and ensure that it is done by going back to the main screen systematically by clicking back, back, back.
3) Disable bluetooth on phone.
4) enable bluetooth on phone again.
5) click show notification.
6) back up all the way systematically back to main screen on phone to ensure option entered.
7) Car at this time ( while still active) would not see the bluetooth working, manually paired/discover the iphone back using idrive.
8) ask someone beside you to send you an sms. it should appear.

It did it for me.

Have not tried the emails functions yet. =)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
vegadonovan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Thanks for the useful message. I will see if it still works later. Or i need to do it every time I start the car.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
vegadonovan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
This allows you to have two phones paired to the car, so if you've got another phone you can set it as the second phone I believe. I've never tried it, but it shouldn't be selected.

Regarding screenshots, I managed to get one today. I would have done one sooner for you but only just got round to it, sorry. (This is paired with BMW X5 2012 model, i'd presume they are nearly the same iDrive)
Thanks! I guess i don't have to worry about it now that the message option is working =)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
vegadonovan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Did the "Show Notifications" slider appear under Bluetooth settings on your phone when paired with iDrive?
Thanks it's done and working =)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
vegadonovan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadonovan View Post
Thanks for the useful message. I will see if it still works later. Or i need to do it every time I start the car.

So it's working fine and there's no need to reset it everytime.

=)
Appreciate 0