BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

Coilover springs squeak?

Picked up my M6 coupe 2 days ago and noticing a couple of noises.

I hear a high pitched squeaking when I go over bumps. Seems to happen most of the time. Not crazy loud but noticeable to me and my OCD!

I remember hearing about this on the F10 M5, seeing as the chassis shares identical components. With them I think it was the rear coilover springs.

Anyone else noticed this? What was the soltuion for F10 M5 owners? Is it fixable or tough luck?

Last edited by V8; 11-15-2012 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post

I hear a high pitched squeaking when I go over bumps. Seems to happen most of the time. Not crazy loud but noticeable to me and my OCD!

I remember hearing about this on the F10 M5, seeing as the chassis shares identical components. With them I think it was the rear coilover springs.

Anyone else noticed this? What was the soltuion for F10 M5 owners? Is it fixable or tough luck?
They have more of a clunk sound or like a wrench is loose in the trunk. The rear springs are too short from what I read and the clunk is them reseating themselves back in the groove under weight. I don't rememebr hearing a squealing issue. I would have someone drive your car ovr a few speed bumps and see if you can hear it outside of the car or only inside and also if it's bi/unilateral in nature.
      11-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
DASF13
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Just picked mine up last week and have not noticed any squeaking from the coilovers or springs. But I have noticed a slight rattle coming from the back seats at very low speeds between 5-20 mph.

As far as a possible solution, I remember reading a thread that was discussing a squeaking or clunking noise in the F10 M5 and also on the M6's that they were working to sort out and fix. I will try and find the thread and post for you.

Sorry to hear and good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
SOMAR8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 - Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I seem to also have it and can't quite figure out what needs to be done to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8

My 2013 M6 coupe also chirps/squeaks over certain types of bumps. Not speed bumps but quick and sharp smaller bumps. If it were to happen all the time it would sound like those taxis with 200k miles on their suspension. I don't know if it's the bushings or springs, etc. I have not yet given up my car for the time needed to diagnose. Hopefully somebody will have an answer soon.
      03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
SOMAR8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 - Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
My 2013 M6 coupe also chirps/squeaks over certain types of bumps. Not speed bumps but quick and sharp smaller bumps. If it were to happen all the time it would sound like those taxis with 200k miles on their suspension. I don't know if it's the bushings or springs, etc. I have not yet given up my car for the time needed to diagnose. Hopefully somebody will have an answer soon.
Literally have the exact same problem, but I live in a city where roads are not so kind and I end up hearing it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

I have the same chirp/squeak issue as well. Going to the dealer next thurs to see what they can do. Its def not a clunk or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179
I have the same chirp/squeak issue as well. Going to the dealer next thurs to see what they can do. Its def not a clunk or anything like that.
Sorry Hunter. Keep us posted as to what they say.
      10-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
I'm having issues with my 14m5 with the comp pack. It's a chirping. One forum member said they changed his rotors and bushings. It's not the same issue as the 13's. This is a chirping, which also may be caused by the floating rotors which would bring us all back to the break squeaks. I noticed the chirp doesn't happen until the breaks have been warmed up after a few stops. I think it's mostly likely the rotors but apparently that's normal and it may go away with a quick bedding of the breaks.
Appreciate 0