BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

BimmerTech BMW (6NR) Retrofit

Has anyone performed a BMW Apps (6NR) retrofit with BimmerTech remotely? Particularly for vehicles in Hong Kong or Macau. If yes, what does it involve and how was the experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Folks,

I am pleased to report that the 6NR BMW Apps retrofit by the guys at BimmerTech was performed flawlessly on my HK/Macau region F13 650i last night. After a couple of hours of coding (done entirely remotely by MEN@BimmerTech), my car has the following functions activated:

- BMW Apps (ConnectedDrive)
- Office
- Cover Art
- HUD Turn Indicators
- HUD Telephone List
- HUD Entertainment List
- Engine A.S.S. (persistent last setting)

All videos in my docked iPhone (Media Snap-in Adapter) can be played on iDrive. Cover art is finally showing on-screen (previously disabled in HK/Macau cars).

Overall, the retrofit exercise was very impressive. These guys are professionals and really know what they are doing.

Thanks again MEN and Patryk.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I ordered an enet cable the other day, going to try some coding myself when the car comes in. Good to know I have backup though if I need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
I ordered an enet cable the other day, going to try some coding myself when the car comes in. Good to know I have backup though if I need it.
Hi DJ,

Yes, forgot to mention the E-Net cable. It was included in the retrofit package. FYI, I also didn't have the time nor the courage to dismantle the armrest and CIC console to install the snap-in adapter/CIC video cable. Had that done at my local BMW workshop before the remote coding.

I bought the retrofit service thinking BMW Apps would be the useful upgrade but as it turned out, the HUD enhancements were the true upgrades that I can actually use. I will post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

All the best with your coding adventure. Please do share your experiences. BTW, when is your car arriving? Any day now?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
wasabi
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F93 M8C

I had Patryk@BimmerTech coded my E71 last year and it was such an awesome experience. Great communication and great support all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Folks,

I am pleased to report that the 6NR BMW Apps retrofit by the guys at BimmerTech was performed flawlessly on my HK/Macau region F13 650i last night. After a couple of hours of coding (done entirely remotely by MEN@BimmerTech), my car has the following functions activated:

- BMW Apps (ConnectedDrive)
- Office
- Cover Art
- HUD Turn Indicators
- HUD Telephone List
- HUD Entertainment List
- Engine A.S.S. (persistent last setting)

All videos in my docked iPhone (Media Snap-in Adapter) can be played on iDrive. Cover art is finally showing on-screen (previously disabled in HK/Macau cars).

Overall, the retrofit exercise was very impressive. These guys are professionals and really know what they are doing.

Thanks again MEN and Patryk.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
I had Patryk@BimmerTech coded my E71 last year and it was such an awesome experience. Great communication and great support all the time.
+1. It is almost magical seeing all these enhancements appearing right before your eyes in anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Hi DJ,

Yes, forgot to mention the E-Net cable. It was included in the retrofit package. FYI, I also didn't have the time nor the courage to dismantle the armrest and CIC console to install the snap-in adapter/CIC video cable. Had that done at my local BMW workshop before the remote coding.

I bought the retrofit service thinking BMW Apps would be the useful upgrade but as it turned out, the HUD enhancements were the true upgrades that I can actually use. I will post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

All the best with your coding adventure. Please do share your experiences. BTW, when is your car arriving? Any day now?
I ordered the car with bmw apps and the snap in adapter so all I am going to be coding is the HUD enhancements , dvd in motion, and some other small things that seem pretty basic to do.

My car just finished production and is at the port. Hopefully it will be here by Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

How does one do this?

It's a remote operation? I can have this done without taking my car in?

I don't have BMW apps in my 650iGC and had it in my F10. Wouldn't mind doing it!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1

I ordered the car with bmw apps and the snap in adapter so all I am going to be coding is the HUD enhancements , dvd in motion, and some other small things that seem pretty basic to do.

My car just finished production and is at the port. Hopefully it will be here by Christmas.
That makes sense. As mentioned, the HUD enhancements really do make it more useful in daily driving. I hardly ever need to look at the instrument cluster after the upgrade.

For DVD in Motion, I got that done by www.DVDInMotion.com. Very simple process of emailing them your VIN and they send you a link to burn a custom CD for your car. Pop the CD in and your iDrive will reboot. A few seconds later, you have DVD in motion coded. The process is reversible by popping in the same CD.

Good to learn that your car is on its way. Hope it makes it to your doorstep before Christmas.

Last edited by andreo; 11-26-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
How does one do this?

It's a remote operation? I can have this done without taking my car in?

I don't have BMW apps in my 650iGC and had it in my F10. Wouldn't mind doing it!
I went through the following process for my retrofit:

1. Go to www.Bimmer-Tech.com, email them your VIN to validate applicability, get a quote and place your order.

2. The necessary parts and an OBD E-Net cable will be sent to you by DHL.

3. Install the parts according to the instructions provided. (I didn't have the time nor the courage to do it myself. Had it done by qualified BMW engineers at my local workshop.)

4. Make an appointment with Bimmer-Tech (Patryk or MEN) to arrange your remote coding session.

5. Prepare a Windows laptop with internet connection to be used in your car.

6. Follow instructions given to install a couple of programs that will allow them to perform the necessary coding. You will be guided over Skype.

7. Connect laptop to car using supplied OBD E-Net cable and sit back. (Make sure your laptop has power or sufficient charge for at least an hour)

8. Follow basic instructions given by the coder over Skype. (Ignition on, Ignition off, lock car, check functions, etc)

9. Enjoy new functions.

Overall, the remote coding process took less than an hour for me and they got BMW Apps along with a bunch of HUD enhancements done in one sitting. Even Engine Auto Start Stop got coded to remember last setting.

As mentioned, these guys know their BMW's and it is a marvel to watch them enhance your car remotely right before your eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Just discovered this morning that the Bimmer-Tech guys have quietly enabled the Sport Displays in my iDrive during our coding session and they actually work on the F13. When enabled, you can find them under the Vehicle Information section on your main iDrive menu.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

That's very cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
mo7ammed-87
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 650i

Quote:
Just discovered this morning that the Bimmer-Tech guys have quietly enabled the Sport Displays in my iDrive during our coding session and they actually work on the F13. When enabled, you can find them under the Vehicle Information section on your main iDrive menu.

how i can show it on my car ??
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo7ammed-87
how i can show it on my car ??
It is the last item under Vehicle Info if coded. Scroll all the way to the bottom to find it. If you don't see it there, you will need to get it enabled through coding. You can do it by yourself (like djsaad1 did) or get the BimmerTech guys to do it for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by andreo; 01-29-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Forgive a naive question but isn't it cheaper to just order the option with the build order in the first place?

Totally make sense to upgrade hardware if an older car is now out of date tech wise.

BMW apps, Internet, DAB now standard fit in 2013 cars evidently
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands
Forgive a naive question but isn't it cheaper to just order the option with the build order in the first place?

Totally make sense to upgrade hardware if an older car is now out of date tech wise.

BMW apps, Internet, DAB now standard fit in 2013 cars evidently
Yes absolutely if the option is offered in my region but unfortunately it is not due to regional homologation. Hence the retrofit.

In any case, some of the items like Sport Displays, HUD extras and video in motion still require coding even if the car was factory built with the necessary options.
Appreciate 0