BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

my next M.
      10-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Absolutely stunning. The rear end for once is screaming performance and aggression. Well done BMW. You don't need an /// in the 7 seven series, this car will make a mockery of the S class AMG.
      10-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Nice I want one now
+1 here
      10-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Looks amazing. Wish I could afford one. Gotta keep working to get there. One day...
      10-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #27
mikechavarria
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Video just enhances...

As a new BMW owner watching this video just enhances my passion for the BMW vehicles and engineering. I am already looking forward to replacing our mini-van with a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Pretty cool video. But hmmm. I think they are stuck on their "philosophy" whether or not its allowed to be done or not.
What's allowed to be done or not? I think they hit their mark as to achieving what they indeed intended to do.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan
Quote:
Pretty cool video. But hmmm. I think they are stuck on their "philosophy" whether or not its allowed to be done or not.
What's allowed to be done or not? I think they hit their mark as to achieving what they indeed intended to do.
Turbos. Lag. In an M car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
I'd have to agree it's pretty hilarious how they've used technology to make larger luxury cars leapfrog the performance of the old M3's. Sort of like the first N54 335i's that nearly matched the E46 M3.

Yes, the feel and sound are different, but side by side on the track speaks for itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan
Quote:
I'd have to agree it's pretty hilarious how they've used technology to make larger luxury cars leapfrog the performance of the old M3's. Sort of like the first N54 335i's that nearly matched the E46 M3.

Yes, the feel and sound are different, but side by side on the track speaks for itself.
Its not always about speed. Its also about feel. How much numbness can you add?? I seriously dont understand magazine racing. Ive yet to see any F series m5/6 haul some serious ass on a track day.

Even all the reviews on this forum where a member has gone to events that let you drive all the Ms on a track say its not as great. Heck, one guys recent review said the m135i was better than the m5/6 on the track.

I get it. Your car is better than mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Its not always about speed. Its also about feel. How much numbness can you add?? I seriously dont understand magazine racing. Ive yet to see any F series m5/6 haul some serious ass on a track day.
While we agree that it's not just about speed, what you fail to see is that not everyone is looking for the same 'feel' or even have the same expectations from their cars. Most that buy M5/6's have no intention to track them, and that's why you don't see them. That's not to say they can't perform well, and they do.

Quote:
Even all the reviews on this forum where a member has gone to events that let you drive all the Ms on a track say its not as great. Heck, one guys recent review said the m135i was better than the m5/6 on the track.
So what does better mean? Having driven both, I'd say the M135i is a better track car, though it's not faster unless your talking about an extremely tight and twisty track. The M6 can't overcome it's weight in that situation, but it's certainly at home on a track, just not designed for it.

Quote:
I get it.
I don't think so. You have a particular definition for an M car, others have others.

So the new M3/4 are turbo's, what does that make them?

Last edited by bjayfan; 10-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I dont mean to say some of these cars suck. I think all of the M cars are AWESOME but to say that we build these cars with the same philosophies as we've always had is just a bunch of horse shit.

With turbos (which is freaking old technology btw) you just lose a few things that an na engine does (which are important to me as a drivers car).

Ive asked m5/6/1m owners for their honest opinions and yes, they are all laggy. If you dont feel it, something is wrong because my girl who gives two rats asses about cars even complains about this.

Im still hoping the new tech in the m3/4 setup can minimize this as much as possible but we still have yet to see anything in the real world.

Im not really a spec sheet nor an according to so and so this car is better at this than that car blah blah type of guy if that helps. In my experience lot of m5/6 guys think their cars are superior in every aspect to every other car in the lineup. That is why i say ok, your car is better. You didnt think i really meant it did you? Because again, i have yet to see one of these thrash anything out there with a car that in a magazine destroys everything.

You guys are all crazy.

There isnt even a track section on the m5/6post because no one would use it. I mean even f30post has one

I will now leave before i get banned from bimmerpost altogether. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I dont mean to say some of these cars suck. I think all of the M cars are AWESOME but to say that we build these cars with the same philosophies as we've always had is just a bunch of horse shit.
I guess that depends on what's in the mind of the BMW engineers. I know a lot of people expect an M to be a race car, but I think BMW just tries to produce the best performing cars in their segment, with the M's at the high end. Right now I'd interpret that to be that the M5 and M6 are the luxury saloon and luxury GT, and the M3 to be the sports sedan and GT.

To some degree, all have sport and luxury DNA, just a bit of a difference in the priorities.

Quote:
With turbos (which is freaking old technology btw) you just lose a few things that an na engine does (which are important to me as a drivers car).

Ive asked m5/6/1m owners for their honest opinions and yes, they are all laggy. If you dont feel it, something is wrong because my girl who gives two rats asses about cars even complains about this.
Yes, there is some lag. Two points however:

1: The lag in BMW's FI engines is as small as it gets in the industry. Just because the tech is old doesn't mean someone can't make it better, and BMW is doing a fantastic job with it. Ferrari is going FI soon, will be interesting to see how they deal with lag.

2: In a track scenario, lag isn't that important so long as you keep the engine up in the power band. Other than a standing start, shouldn't happen again. You can also say that the DCT helps there.

Quote:
Im still hoping the new tech in the m3/4 setup can minimize this as much as possible but we still have yet to see anything in the real world.
I think you may be happy, BMW has tinkered with all the M's except the M3/4 with respect to 'new fangled tech'. They want it right as much as you do.

Quote:
Im not really a spec sheet nor an according to so and so this car is better at this than that car blah blah type of guy if that helps. In my experience lot of m5/6 guys think their cars are superior in every aspect to every other car in the lineup. That is why i say ok, your car is better. You didnt think i really meant it did you? Because again, i have yet to see one of these thrash anything out there with a car that in a magazine destroys everything.
Any car is as good as the owner thinks, that's all that really matters.

Quote:
You guys are all crazy.

There isnt even a track section on the m5/6post because no one would use it. I mean even f30post has one
I have track cars, I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
I will now leave before i get banned from bimmerpost altogether. Thank you.
No harm no foul, we're just talking.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Sexy, stylish, intriguing.

Very nice and very different from the M's of the past.

I like it and will someday acquire but I will keep my M3 for the track.

Thanks for posting the video.

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0