BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-10-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Aussie_Bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Vibrations

Hi all

I am currently experiencing a vibration in my 640i GC when going over 100kph. I assume that as these cars are grand tourers and built for autobahn so they should be silky smooth at freeway speeds.

I took it to the dealer who advised I had 2 bent rims (373m wheels). Both were replaced but after picking the car back up from the dealer and testing on the freeway I noticed the vibration stills remains.

So to try and help diagnose what the issue may be (noting the car is going back to the dealer tomorrow and the master tech will take the car on extended test drive) I am wondering if any one else has had a similar issue or thoughts as to what it may be.

I note;

1. It seems more prominent on the freeway when you get of the gas and coast ( although it is also there under acceleration)
2. Vibration is felt more through the drivers seat although some is in the steering wheel from what I can tell
3. Is there any issues with the drivetrain in these cars? When I did a search I see some guys have sloppy drive trains in the 7 series?

Hopefully the dealer will get the issue sorted.

P
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Apr1962
Rep
Drives: 640D

I had something similar, bad vibrations through the floor on the motorway. I had the wheels Road-Force balanced and no issue since. BMW said there was nothing wrong with the car. The wheels were all balled before but road force compensates for variations in tyre wall stiffness and out of true rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
hsbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bme 650 xi grand coupe

vibration in the seat is usually rear wheel balancing. with the wide profile tire you need special equipment and knowledge to balance correctly.

vib in steering wheel is front balance or alianment.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
romaineami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: current: 2016 bmw m3 zcp previ

Had similar issue, still do actually Bmw said car was fine after bringing it in twice. So figured I'll just buy my self a set of coilover and aftermarket 20's and call it a day will update once all that is done
      08-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i and '12 640i

I have the same issue...mine occurred after I hit a pothole. Tech said bent rims on the 373M's. So they ordered a new one, repairing the other one and doing an alignment and balance. Hoping this will solve the problem. Beforehand, the car drove smoothly without any vibration.

Will keep you updated when I receive my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
I notice the same thing. I have had my tires road forced and my wheels checked by 2 different shops. I have just accepted it as normal. Mine is more like a vibration than a feeling of an unbalanced tire. I totally understand.

Last edited by Brazz; 08-22-2016 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i and '12 640i

Got my car back and it's now driving close to normal. The tech said I had bubbles in my front right tire, which would play a part in feeling vibration. Since they replaced the front right wheel (due to it being bent) and repaired the back right wheel, only those were balanced.

In conjunction with an alignment, this did the trick. I may get my left wheels balanced again b/c I "think" it could be slightly better but that may just be the OCD kicking in.

So check your tires and rims, get them fixed (if needed), balanced and an alignment.
Appreciate 0