BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-10-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
mark.-
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F06

A/C Issue BMW F06

Hi everyone. Yesterday morning, my A/C was working fine. Couple of hours later, I start my car up and the A/C doesn't kick in.

So far, I've managed to check for refrigerant within the lines. That's checked off. I'm leaning towards checking the fuses but I'm not sure where to start.

It's a 2013 BMW F06. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping it's not the compressor either!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 11:15 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
check the front of the AC compressor when the AC is on. The front(clutch) should spin when the compressor is engaged and stationary when it is off. If the compressor is not running, it can be due to perceived low refrigerant pressure. This could be real or caused by the pressure switch. A bad fuse or a burnt compressor clutch could also prevent the compressor clutch from engaging.
Start with the compressor engagement test first and work out from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
mark.-
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
check the front of the AC compressor when the AC is on. The front(clutch) should spin when the compressor is engaged and stationary when it is off. If the compressor is not running, it can be due to perceived low refrigerant pressure. This could be real or caused by the pressure switch. A bad fuse or a burnt compressor clutch could also prevent the compressor clutch from engaging.
Start with the compressor engagement test first and work out from there.
Fuses are all good. AC randomly started working one day then shut off again. I think it's a bad compressor.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Check the compressor clutch. The face of the compressor pulley should be turning if the compressor is engaged. If it is not spinning, it can be the low pressure switch preventing it from engaging or it can be the control system. THE most common problem with AC is low pressure of the system. I recently had to add gas to mine (2014 vintage). The port for the low pressure connection is under the passenger side engine air filter. You can remove the housing and lift it out. There is a clip holding the housing to the fresh air intake that you need to push aside. Get a refill can with a pressure gage ($40 to $60) and hook it up to the low pressure port (Shrader valve). Start the car with the AC on full and add gas if required. The compressor clutch should engage and the AC should start cooling again. If the gas pressure is correct, and the compressor still does not kick on it is going to need more intrusive work. Try the simple stuff first and avoid the risk of $$
Appreciate 0