BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
ls2gto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 GTO

2006 GTO to 2006 M6

Hello everyone! I've recently been window shopping cars, and stumbled upon a seemingly good deal on a 2006 M6. The car is listed for 29,000 and only has 25k miles on it. I was just curious about the real cost to own these cars though before inquiring about the vehicle. Now, I currently own a 2006 GTO which so far I happen to love and have yet to have any problems with. Maintenance costs have been minimal other than changing oil and fluids. I've had the car almost two years and I've only put about 6k miles on it. How much more expensive would it be to own an M6? Also, since it is a low mileage vehicle from a dealer, how much would warranty cover these costs? I've purchased all my cars privately before, so this is something I am unfamiliar with.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

It's an amazing car, but the fact that it is a 2006 making it 9 years old you should just be careful and know what you're getting yourself into. The maintenance cost on those M5/M6's can be brutal if you have to get any drive-train work done, same goes for suspension and you can basically assume that labor and parts are going to be double to triple the cost of maintaining an American car like the GTO or a Mustang. Other than that the deal is actually pretty good if the car is in really nice condition, and if you really want it drop them down to $28k and take it, you would be getting it for a few grand under market value at that point with those low miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

What was said above I agree. Maint will be crazy. And way more than your "Australian" car I will add. Not much US content in the GTO except engineering.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #4
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

If the warranty is that big a deal to you, is it a certified pre-owned? I don't know if it would qualify (maybe too old or the fact it's a M model) but BMW does offer a warranty on some of their used vehicles - http://cpo.bmwusa.com/index.htm?from...verviewRD.aspx. They might also have some non-BMW warranty company they work with that could give you at least some protection.

Though I am sure it has crossed your mind already, I would also consider what you are thinking about buying. It is a M6 so it was likely driven hard at some point; little old ladies don't buy these to drive to church and the grocery store on Sundays. It might also have been abused. I would think most of the people here would be taking care of theirs and though not babying them, not abusing them either. I've put 100-120K+ miles on an aftermarket turbocharged 320 running 29 psi boost and it still was very solid. It still had a great leak down test but I did a lot of stuff to take care of it - like changing the oil and filter every 2000-2500 miles or so.

At the other extreme, I also heard a story at the dealership today about the other kind of driver, the type whose car we never want to buy. Or maybe I should say the idiot. This customer bought a brand new M6. Within a couple of weeks he had blown the motor. I was told it appeared that there was no attempt to break it in at all. BMW fixed it anyway, even though they had strong suspicions about what happened. I guess in the haggling that probably ensued, the guy made such a stink about it they even took the car back. He went down the street and bought some other killer machine. Of the dealers that in that immediate area Porsche or Audi are the most likely ones that jump to mind, but there are a couple of US makers near there that make some pretty hot cars too. Well, within a couple of weeks he blew the motor in that one too. Like I said, must be some kind of idiot. Then he was back at BMW looking for another M car. This time BMW told him no more - any major engine problems were going to be on him this time.

A well maintained BMW can last almost a lifetime, even driven pretty hard. But not everyone maintains them the way I suspect most of the people on this forum do. I'd take a really close look at that car for hints of abuse or find someone who knew the prior owner(s) and could tell you something about their driving and maintenance habits. I sure wouldn't want to end up with some of the problems you might encounter in one of "the idiot's" former cars.

Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
briggs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 ZCP MW 08' Smart

Its a tough one, being i just got rid of mine for just caving on me all at once. I even test drove mine for a week before i bought it in attempt to "assure" the car was ok. Mine was an '06 M6 great condition 1 owner. just under 1 year in and the throttle body actuators went, the crank shaft sensor went....it was being hit my the flywheel... which damaged the fly wheel.

12k later

I now have an CPO 2012 M3 for 50k
Appreciate 0