BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x25D and 640i Cabrio

A used 640 convertible - Questions

Hi,

The Mrs and I have recently acquired a brand new X5 as a family car, and I really loved the overall experience, so much so that I am looking to change my own personal car (a lexus) to either a 6 or 4 convertible. The lexus drives like a tank, never broke down, and genuinely a solid reliable car.

As with all budget constraints, I am leaning towards a 2011/12 640 convertible or a more recent 16 430/440 convertible.

I am a bit of a aesthetic modder, and really love the 6 series in terms of how it looks over the more docile looking 4.

I got a few queries.

1) Reliability of a 6 series, vs a 3/5 series.
2) The soft top convertible. I had driven a 2012 audi soft top and it leaked, and am genuinely fearful of a soft top, which is why the 4 is considered. Although I heard that the next 4 will be soft top as well, due to driving dynamics.
3) Parts for after market modding. There seems to be an equal balance of M Sport vs non Msport models in Australia. Are after market parts such as the m sport front bumper, and m performance kidney grills and mirrors, readily available?

I am based in Australia, but I am happy to hear comments from around the globe. Thanks in advance.
      05-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

1) Not sure about the 3-er, but the 6 and 5 are practically identical as far as reliability goes. Avoid the N63 engines and look for either a N55 (6 cyl) or N63tu (8 cyl). Not sure about model years where you live but here in the U.S., current 6 started in 2012 for the convertible.
2) Why not look into a coupe to avoid potential long term soft top issues?
3) Mod parts (lips, diffusers) are generally available for M-sport models with very few to no options for base models
General consensus is that most newer model BMW's will never compare to a Lexus as far as being low maintenance and super reliable. Between the wife and I, we've had 2 Lexus', 1 MB and 4 BMW's in about 7 years so I know how reliable Lexus' are. The Lexus' were the only cars we've felt comfortable owning past 100k miles. That being said, we still love our beemers and would never trade them in for a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Cheers Ndinh. That's good feedback, and I appreciate you taking time to craft it.

Noted on the 6 cylinder engine, was reading about it as well.

The only reason for convertible really is just pure experience, perhaps a dose of mid life crisis, coupled with something I would add on my bucket list
      05-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
The coupe is not a substitute for the rag top. Nothing is. My '14 never leaked and so far neither has my '17.
If it's on your list, unless your crystal ball is highly accurate, what are you waiting for??
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
LLTS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 640xi Coupe, Q50S

Hello!

1) In my honest opinion, for the 6 at least, reliability is good if you avoid the aforementioned engine; N55 is a very proven one . I always did hear from my friends how one should "bump" the engine to the next level when going for a convertible, nonetheless, as a bottom line. Maybe it has to do with the power-weight / sound combination?

2) All soft tops will have some lemons.. so be sure to get CPO or one that has at least some warranty left on it! It really depends on how the previous owner (if used) cared for it as well. My rule of thumb is never get a pre-owned convertible, unless I am sure the past owner was very meticulous with his/her car. My friend got a 440 convertible for the very same reason, and he loves it.

3) All M parts are easily accessible through both dealers/ECS/etc. and ebay! If you are making a non-M packaged car into an M though, it will cost you a fortune from painting (only to find that the paint color differs due to age) and installing. That being said, if you are seriously leaning towards the M-look, better off searching for an already M-packaged vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Much appreciated guys ...

Think I am set on getting one. The hunt begins
      06-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

I just pulled the trigger and gotten myself a 640i f12 convertible.

Will post pics upon collection.

This is a non m sport model, and I am exploring the idea of changing the front bumper to the M Sport. Is that actually doable and has there been a thread on this? Thanks in advance
      06-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripperhappy View Post
I just pulled the trigger and gotten myself a 640i f12 convertible.

Will post pics upon collection.

This is a non m sport model, and I am exploring the idea of changing the front bumper to the M Sport. Is that actually doable and has there been a thread on this? Thanks in advance
This will probably be no help but on the F10s the non ///m sport and ///m sport bumpers have different mounting hardware. There was a kit for sale that included everything needed to mount an M Bumper to the non-m cars. The 6 series might be the same way.
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As flamelaucher mentioned, for F10's, you had 2 choices, go OE and buy the bumper plus a bunch of hardware or go aftermarket and buy Mtech stuff for much cheaper, which included everything needed. Unfortunately, for all 6-series cars, your only option is to go OE if you want to swap out the bumpers. There's a bunch of stuff that you would need replacing so in the end, it may not be worth it to you.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8446
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8550
Also, you'll need new air ducts and a new impact absorber.
You can find a bunch of used Msport bumpers on ebay ranging from $200-$500. Some may be easily fixed and then just buy the additional parts. There's a duraflex version but I'd steer clear from anything Duraflex. I think there's also a CF lip made for non-Msport bumpers as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Sounds like a lot of work.... Thanks guys!
      06-11-2017, 04:44 AM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work.... Thanks guys!
Leave it as it's meant to be!
I'm on my second F12 640i SE and I think it looks best in this form - classic 'corniche cruiser' looks.
Don't know about Australia but the SE is much rearer than the M Sport up here and I don't think the aggressive stance of the latter suits the car. However, that's just my opinion and I'm obviously in the minority but that suits me fine!
For info, the only faults I had with my first 6 were a failed window lift and a headlight unit (both covered by extended warranty) no faults on the current car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Thanks Jon D. I appreciate the comment.

I have been always a tinkerer since my younger days, and as I get older, time becomes scarece, less adventurous, and that seems to evolve gradually to OFFFICIAL packages, to now the middle-aged-crisis convertible, which I am now seeing even lesser need for tinkering. :P

But there is always a spark inside me that wants to change the grille to black grills, change the wheels to ride on 22, and slap on a few CF parts here and there.

I am likely keeping as a weekend car anyway, under covers, for a few years.

As also promised, the below is a pic of the car sitting pretty at the front. In the background, you will see the X5 as well

r

Last edited by Tripperhappy; 06-11-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
JakeBMW11.50
      06-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
...change the wheels to ride on 22...
My first 640i was on 20's and I rapidly tired of the crashy ride. I bought a set of 18" winter tyres and couldn't believe the improvements in ride, handling and steering feedback.
When I bought my new car last September I had no hesitation in ordering it with 18's - might not look quite as cool, but the car is a supremely comfortable long distance cruiser and combined with the adaptive drive plus variable dampers, it's as much of a flat-cornering sports car I could ever want.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
My first 640i was on 20's and I rapidly tired of the crashy ride. .
I am probably used to it in terms of ride, I dont like bouncy rides.

I am ok with the harsher ride, but the tyre roar and the soft top convertible do let in more noise than my lexus.

But the pull and acceleration of the 640 vs my lexus is quite stark.
      06-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
...I dont like bouncy rides... ...But the pull and acceleration of the 640 vs my lexus is quite stark.
Definitely not bouncy on 18's. All aspects of ride, handling etc., just as good as 20's but a huge improvement on rough surfaces - no more back end jittering on rough corners, it feels more 'stuck to the road'.
Talking of Lexus, I just drove the LC500 Sport+ - never knew steering, throttle response, ride and handling could be that good.
I'm keenly awaiting the new 8 series but it'll have to be pretty special to beat the Lexus - amazing attention to engineering detail, only problem is that Japanese bling!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #16
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I just drove the LC500 Sport+ - never knew steering, throttle response, ride and handling could be that good.
I'm keenly awaiting the new 8 series but it'll have to be pretty special to beat the Lexus - amazing attention to engineering detail, only problem is that Japanese bling!

The Lexus LC500 is pretty good looking. If only Lexus did convertibles (besides the hideous LC250), I would have given them a second look.

That said, the newly announced BMW 6 GT - wow, that's quite hideous too. I am happy to have not waited out on a new 6.
      06-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #17
Jeffro75
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC Estoril Blue

Hi Tripperhappy! Nice to see another Aussie on here. Beautiful car by the way, looks very crisp in white. I too just bought my wife a new white X5!
I'm 2 years into owning my MY14.5 640i Gran Coupe and absolutely love it. I like you find it hard to resist some soft modding. We are a bit limited for choice here for 6 Series parts as they are relatively rare breed here, but I have spent lots of time combing through ebay and the rest of the net for bits and pieces, so if there is anything you think I can help you with, yell out! There is a crowd here in Melbourne called Mars Performance which sell aftermarket M Sport and AMG body panels. Not sure if they have 6 Series parts in stock, but if not, I am sure they can get them. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #18
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro75 View Post
Hi Tripperhappy! Nice to see another Aussie on here. Beautiful car by the way, looks very crisp in white. I too just bought my wife a new white X5!
I'm 2 years into owning my MY14.5 640i Gran Coupe and absolutely love it. I like you find it hard to resist some soft modding. We are a bit limited for choice here for 6 Series parts as they are relatively rare breed here, but I have spent lots of time combing through ebay and the rest of the net for bits and pieces, so if there is anything you think I can help you with, yell out! There is a crowd here in Melbourne called Mars Performance which sell aftermarket M Sport and AMG body panels. Not sure if they have 6 Series parts in stock, but if not, I am sure they can get them. Cheers!
Awesome mate!

Yeah, I know of MARS, and some of the shops in Melbourne and over ebay. Somehow 6 non M Sport parts are very rare. I have the X5 decked in juicy M performance kits all acquired genuine through official dealers, and upgraded over time, but none to be had on the 6 series. Even Hamann ones are hard, they are all for M Sport.

But the 6 non M sport is growing on me. I never liked anything too chromy but that has started to shift. The silhouette is still pretty sporty.

06-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
Jeffro75
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC Estoril Blue

Quote:
Awesome mate!

Yeah, I know of MARS, and some of the shops in Melbourne and over ebay. Somehow 6 non M Sport parts are very rare. I have the X5 decked in juicy M performance kits all acquired genuine through official dealers, and upgraded over time, but none to be had on the 6 series. Even Hamann ones are hard, they are all for M Sport.

But the 6 non M sport is growing on me. I never liked anything too chromy but that has started to shift. The silhouette is still pretty sporty.

Hi Mate, I agree, I think it looks very elegant and still sporty as it is. My 640 is an M Sport and I love it but I equally admire the non-M Sport models, more so lately. I think they look very slick and clean versus the more busy M Sport styling. Re the X5, ours is a 30D M Sport, but no performance pack unfortunately. I really like the Performance Pack, especially the wheels. I have been looking at aftermarket as I'd like to keep it on 20's but I also like the aero parts and side decals.... trying to resist and be sensible but I'm likely to weaken and do it some time soon. Best of luck with the new 6, mine hasn't given an ounce of trouble and I'm sure yours will be the same. Best thing is that there really is no exotic running gear under there, all tried and true mainstream BMW powertrain and mechanicals, just in a sexy body! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Also love my vanilla F13 640i, the only thing I would like from the M-Sport is the thicker steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
...the only thing I would like from the M-Sport is the thicker steering wheel.
Of course, it's all down to personal preference but that's one of the main reasons why I stick with SE models. I had a 535 M Sport a while back - the demo I drove was SE and I liked the car but preferred the M look so that's what I ordered. Big mistake - the first moment I gripped (or tried to grip) the steering wheel when I took delivery, I kenw I'd never get on with that fat rim. I have average size hands but I can't get my fingers far enough around the wheel for comfort - always felt like I was steering with just my palms as opposed to hands.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #22
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Also love my vanilla F13 640i, the only thing I would like from the M-Sport is the thicker steering wheel.
It's a straight swap if you ever wanted to buy the wheel,controls,airbag. They're always being sold on ebay.
Appreciate 0