BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #67
quaker_31
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
We'll after singing the praises of this car (aside from the cost ), I'm sitting here waiting for BMW assist

Locked it, went into tile showroom, came back and the mirrors wouldn't unfold. Now discovered the entire driver door console isn't working. Tried opening them manually but they won't lock in place and too risky to negotiate the a406 incase the wind folds them back.

I suspect it may be more serious electrical fault as it just locked itself with ignition off and key (plus me thankfully) in the car.

Also last week I was showing my uncle the folding seats (as he forgot to spec them) and the HUD stopped working for a couple of hours :/. The link between the instrument cluster also stopped working. Couple if hours later it all started working again. Bit concerned now this may be the start of niggling electrical issues
Oh damn - maybe a faulty module of some kind. Keep us updated!

A406 eh?- I am wembley area - you nearby ?

Present - 2013 6 GC M Sport / 2010-2013 - '08 Audi A5 SE
2008-2010 - '59 BMW 118 M-sport / 2006-2008 - '03 BMW 318 M-Sport
2002-2006 - '95 Mercedes C220/ 2000-2002 - '92 Mercedes W201
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #68
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Well good news is I'm home, bad news is the engineer had to tape the mirrors in position so I could drive home :/

He spent quite a bit of time checking fuses, accessible wiring, running diagnostics and trying to get the mirrors to foldout from his laptop. Eventually he tried to get the door apart, but the procedure he had didnt work. Since he hadnt worked on an F06 before he didnt want to risk damaging the door card, so he pulled out the tape and got me home. Now I've got to look forward to dealing with the dealerships repairs department. My local never has a courtesy car available and I suspect if it is the door module it will have to come from Germany
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #69
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker_31 View Post

A406 eh?- I am wembley area - you nearby ?
Near heathrow so not too far from you. Was at a tile supplier near Hendon when my bad luck struck.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #70
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Oh dear.. Bad news. It's properly put me off spending 60 grand now... No matter what you pay it seems BMW build quality isn't quite up there with the money they ask...?

Hopefully it's nothing serious..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #71
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Oh dear.. Bad news. It's properly put me off spending 60 grand now... No matter what you pay it seems BMW build quality isn't quite up there with the money they ask...?

Hopefully it's nothing serious..
To be honest things can break on any vehicle, no matter the price. If anything the cheaper but higher production vehicles should be more reliable, providing costs aren't cut too far.

The bigger issue for me is how they deal with it. And obviously vehicles aren't too unreliable. And coming onto that, as usual a courtesy car isn't available for 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #72
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hopefully its nothing serious. I've had more than my fair share of issues with my Z4, as it was an early production run model it had all the new model kinks and more. Now the car is in good shape, I'm not to keen to have that experience again with another car. Especially one that costs nearly twice what the Z4 cost me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #73
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Its one of those things - I had an early production run 5-Series GT that was fully-loaded and I have not had one thing go wrong in 4 years.

Coming to think of it in 4 previous BMWs I have owned, never had an issue relating to poor build or manufacturing gremlins. Doesnt mean it doesnt happen (and it does in all marquees).

And then there is 'Italian' quality but thats a whole different discussion forum

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #74
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Oddly, I had less problems with my italian cars than german. I've owned both an e85 and e89 and while the e89 has been the most problematic, the e85 had its fair share. The fiat I had before them both, is still on the road now working just fine, with only an aircon issue and a cam sensor in all its years.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #75
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Dont get excited by these deals!

These deals are good on the face value, along with the 0% Finance they look amazing.

BE WARNED!!!!!

The minute you drive them out they lose so much, whatever the spec they will haemorrhage cash.

The 75k list discounted to 60k, becomes late 40k immediately, don't be fouled.

If you like the looks and find the interior appeals then it will not matter, you will drive it for a set period and give it back, none of the wiser.

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE, get an extended test drive 2-3 days min.

The car looks good, but the ride quality is shocking, on anything not completely smooth. It compromises the handling.

The car is not made particularly well, you will have issue with connectivity from the phone, my sunroof stuck open leaving no choice but to go to the dealer and have it reprogramed this has happen at least 4 times (Not just the usual initialisation), my paint work is shocking its Alpine White and stains with the slightest tree or residue from rain!( Of course its not the paint work its the atmosphere according to the SA)

The design is good but some major things like rear door frameless glass that has a fixed quarter panel of glass that just gets in the way. My front door glass is constantly dirty from the inside, when it rains or you wash the car the seals don't do the job.

The noise from the window motors and steering wheel motors are so low budget, the seats and the seat belt position is poor if you are over 6 ft, don't bother with the better leather and comfort seats the standards are better and will not look so tired after 6k miles.(like mine)

I could go on all day, its fair to say I am completely disappointed with my £75k List price( Paid 62k ) 0% Finance simply attempts to disguise truly awful car that is so grossly over hyped and priced.

A BMW car without quality or dynamics is not a ultimate driving machine! Its a car that doesn't deserve the badge or heritage that comes with this brand.

So like me if you hate the drive and car, and try to change the car expect some big pain financially.

What's for sure its not going to be a expensive BMW, they're not up to the job. BMWs are sold on the CO2 and business sales are huge, just go down the motorway at rush hour.

If you have signed please enjoy, BUT if not run a mile!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!:thumbd own
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #76
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

WOW and I thought I used to be unhappy with my car...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #77
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have every sympathy with NF and anyone who has had a poor experience. But it is only fair to acknowledge the very many of us in the majority who have little to no trouble at all with our cars, dealers or service. I cannot honestly complain.

I have taken 4 extended test drives in real world routes and loads I take, identified various things that would determine my satisfaction with the 6GC from options to the finance deal, and resisted the sales guys trying to close until I was absolutely happy. I have bought 5 BMWs in 6 years and have never been disappointed.

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series

Last edited by SpokenHands; 09-17-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #78
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

640d Msport issues

Thanks SPOKEN, I have to say my dealer is good, its not their issue, they are only agents, its BMW I have a real issue with.

Its with some experience I speak since 2004 I have owned a few BMWs I think its around 15, the list covers most series

525d,530d,535dx2,6 Coupe,X6,X6M,7,M3,6GC and an X3 and 4 X5s for the wife.

My experience with the brand tells me this is not the best of driving cars, go over a pot hole or a road which has a poor surface and the car is unpredictable.

Tom Ford from Top Gear's Mag recent blast round Scotland sums up the car well. He said he did not want to push the car as he was unsure what it was going to do!. In fact his experience over the 9 months sums up the car well.

Like me he loved the look of the car, respected the fuel consumption and power, but like me commented on the ride quality on every opportunity.

Its a shame, but I feel disappointed with this car.It should be better for the cost, but then that's my other point, its at least 20k over priced from day one.

These deals are available just to move metal, and as with the 7 ,GT and last 6 and other dogs that BMW produce they just give them away. Its the ones who support BMW when the model first comes out that get slapped.

I should have realised!

My wife's first X5 was a classic example, we got it April 07 as a complete new model by the October 07 they had changed the 3.0d engine dropping its Co2 below the crucial level and effectively make our new car worth less!

Thanks BMW.

Once BMW represented the drivers choice, no longer.

I will have no other choice but to now look some where else for my wheels, its with a very heavy heart, I have driven BMWs since I was 25 I am now 44.

I have good friends in my local dealership. I have a great relationship with them.

But I am sorry BMW you have lost one of your most loyal committed ambassador's of your brand forever.

The 6 GC is just not that great, you will come to experience that soon I am sure.

Will keep you posted if I can off load this dog without shelling out £12k shortfall along with the £13k discount.

Just for a laugh went on to 'WE BUY ANY CAR.COM' They offered £37k!!

So BACK to original post

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #79
quaker_31
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Coupe

Garage List
That's a shame, any warning you can give us ahead of time. Will you be selling any parts /accessories, etc from it.

Do you have a link or which issue the top gear magazine article was on.

Wish you luck - thinking Mercedes would be your best choice if road comfort is essential

Present - 2013 6 GC M Sport / 2010-2013 - '08 Audi A5 SE
2008-2010 - '59 BMW 118 M-sport / 2006-2008 - '03 BMW 318 M-Sport
2002-2006 - '95 Mercedes C220/ 2000-2002 - '92 Mercedes W201
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #80
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
13_NF, I assume that you are 100% sure that the shipping blocks have been removed from the suspension? I've seen a number of posts where this was the cause of poor ride and handling. Apparently the design of the shipping blocks were changed and some dealers have missed them during the PDI inspection.

I just find it strange that most reviews I've seen are very complementary about the ride, with exception of large bumps in comfort mode where the suspension does not have enough travel.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #81
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker_31 View Post
That's a shame, any warning you can give us ahead of time. Will you be selling any parts /accessories, etc from it.
lol the Vultures are circling...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #82
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

MY 640D GC

Hi

I have asked about the shipping blocks, and was told they have been removed.

As for parts, yes you can have the whole thing! I wouldn't recommend the shocks.

Just to reconfirm my issue is not wanting comfort, Renault 25 style!

I just want to feel safe going round a corner, hitting a manhole cover just throws this car off, any road surface which has any issues (like all of them in the UK) The car transfers all the vibration through the seats and dash and humans sitting in it. I purchased those BMW DVDs that attach to the head rests,(Got them in wife's X5 no issues) and the kids kept saying daddy the TVs are noisy (VIBRATING)and the bloody DVD would keep stopping because of the vibration.

On a smooth road its fine, and can be fun, but remember this is meant to be Gran Coupe, with sporty aspirations!

I stop moaning now, you guys seam to like yours and have no issues so I will put up and shut up. And go checkout some new wheels.

TTFN
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #83
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Really sorry to see a BMW superfan get disillusioned with the brand and driving experience. It is always a good idea to look at other marquees (i do so all the time through extended test drives) and I hope you find a brand that brings you satisfaction

Audis tend to run stiff suspensions. Jaguar may be a good compromise but from everything you have described, I would've thought you will like the Mercedes - esp the CLS form which is 'sporty' by Mercedes standards but is still more comfort-oriented by BMW standards. This is no wafty like Renaults.

If you did look at another BMW, specify the Adaptive Drive option and not on the biggest alloys they ship on.

Its a pity NF. Times change, experiences change, what we need from our cars evolve. It may be no bad thing to look elsewhere - and you may find there is less to hate than you originally thought.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #84
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Sitting at the dealer waiting for my car

They've had to replace the driver side switch pack. They also did a reflash of the main comms module as from my description of the HUD issue it's the likely cause (although they couldn't replicate it).

They also replaced a headlight washer arm as I noted it was a couple of mm out when seated. May seem pedantic, but if you've had BMWs over the past decade you'll likely know these are prone to popping off and draining all the washer fluid in the process.

Fingers crossed that's everything sorted. Couldn't be worse time for me as busy on all fronts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #85
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

13 NF, sorry to hear that your still stuck in a car you don't like. Did u get around to trying some bigger rubber? I'm sure the dealer could stick a set of 18s on for a few days?

Not ideal, but if it does the trick sure as hell beats your current circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #86
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My 640d GC

Its the last magazine, not current, its Tom Ford drive around Scotland in the GC, The other articles are in previous mags under OUR CARS.

As for parts your welcome to the lot, avoid the shocks.

I am not after a car that's like a Renault, But as I have said before if you go over a manhole cover it effects the handling, any road not smooth the vibration travel through seats, dash and humans sitting in the car.

I purchased those BMW DVDs that attach to the head rests, my kids said 'Daddy what's that's noise?(Vibration) and if I went over a bump the bloody things stopped working. I have the same set up in my wifes X5 with no problems. I have had to remove them.

Its my experience, if its design, time will tell, but all I know my car is not right at all.

Thanks for your comments, to be honest I am fed up, so at the earliest possible convenience its goodbye time.

TTFN
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #87
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Something really strange has happened since I picked the car up. Its riding smoother :/

I dont know if its placebo, or because I was driving my mums golf around for a few days (but the golfs on a lot of rubber, so I'd expect the ride to be very smooth). Or if its down to the complete software upgrade they did also affecting the adaptive suspension. Or perhaps they took some spacers out (I hadnt bothered to check).

The tyre pressures had been checked by myself recently, so it cant be that. Right now I'm leaning towards placebo (although I have driven the golf and my car back to back several times). But I havent told the rest of the family, so I'll see if they spot it. Then I might call the dealer and check if some spacers had been left in (although I'm sure they would have told me, as the car was bought from another dealer, they never miss an opportunity to put each other down IME ).

Last edited by Mentos; 09-20-2013 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #88
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Anticipation killing me

My car has arrived on UK shores, taxed and registered, now being prepared for delivery on 02-October. I am so excited!!

2 lovely Gran Coupe's on the forecourt awaiting new owners when I went in to complete the paperwork. Both came in looking for the 4 Series Coupe but upgraded to the 6 Series offers.

Appreciate 0