04-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Yeah, two quarts in < 3000 miles is suspicious. I'd definitely being it up with the dealership, and if they don't do something, then I'd write to BMW NA.
Per andreo's suggestion, I contacted BMW directly but BMW NA to test my luck before BMW AG. They asked if I would like to file formal complaint against dealership which I declined b/c didn't want to cause anyone's job for minor inconvenience. Anyway, BMW NA called another dealer and formally introduced me over the phone to service manager and she seems enthusiastic about getting new account. She said that there is a programming recall on this car, so she will take care of that next week to see if that alleviates on going problem with drivetrain malfunction and hopefully oil burning.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #24
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78
Per andreo's suggestion, I contacted BMW directly but BMW NA to test my luck before BMW AG. They asked if I would like to file formal complaint against dealership which I declined b/c didn't want to cause anyone's job for minor inconvenience. Anyway, BMW NA called another dealer and formally introduced me over the phone to service manager and she seems enthusiastic about getting new account. She said that there is a programming recall on this car, so she will take care of that next week to see if that alleviates on going problem with drivetrain malfunction and hopefully oil burning.
That is excellent news! Now that you've gotten their attention, you will be pleasantly surprised by the "royal" treatment you will be getting from now on. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Glad they're working it out for you.

On the topic of complaining about dealership problems... Apparently the surveys they send are a big deal and taken very seriously by the mother company.

I've been debating about commenting on the fact that they don't have loaners when my car's in the shop, which is a huge inconvenience to get someone to pick me up and drop me off. Sure, they have a shuttle service, but, pardon my snobbiness, but I didn't pay $100k to receive service offering glorified public transport as the only alternative. Last time I had a drivetrain malfunction, they told me it would be 3 weeks before they'd have a loaner available. What are my options? Wait 3 weeks and hope I don't have a problem (or worsen the problem) during that period or take it in and deal with the hassle. I obviously did the latter.

This brings me to my dilemma. I once put a less-than-perfect check in a box on a survey for something minor - didn't think much about it. Within 3 hours I received a call from my SA who was upset because that survey is her report card, and she wanted to know what she could do to make up for it. I told her to have the manager send me another survey and I'd give perfect marks. I really like my SA, and any problems I've had with the service department have more to do with management and the techs, so I hated to penalize her for such a minor thing.

To address the loaner situation, I'm thinking about writing a letter to the service manager and/or general manager. I hate to make a formal complaint at this point as I'd rather give them the chance to do something before I get on their black list for getting them into trouble with the big guys at BMW. I only have one dealer that is at all convenient, so my options are limited. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble - and I certainly don't want my nice SA to take the fall when it's hardly her fault - but I think the loaner situation needs to be addressed.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:

On the topic of complaining about dealership problems... Apparently the surveys they send are a big deal and taken very seriously by the mother company.

I've been debating about commenting on the fact that they don't have loaners when my car's in the shop, which is a huge inconvenience to get someone to pick me up and drop me off. Sure, they have a shuttle service, but, pardon my snobbiness, but I didn't pay $100k to receive service offering glorified public transport as the only alternative. Last time I had a drivetrain malfunction, they told me it would be 3 weeks before they'd have a loaner available. What are my options? Wait 3 weeks and hope I don't have a problem (or worsen the problem) during that period or take it in and deal with the hassle. I obviously did the latter.

This brings me to my dilemma. I once put a less-than-perfect check in a box on a survey for something minor - didn't think much about it. Within 3 hours I received a call from my SA who was upset because that survey is her report card, and she wanted to know what she could do to make up for it. I told her to have the manager send me another survey and I'd give perfect marks. I really like my SA, and any problems I've had with the service department have more to do with management and the techs, so I hated to penalize her for such a minor thing.

To address the loaner situation, I'm thinking about writing a letter to the service manager and/or general manager. I hate to make a formal complaint at this point as I'd rather give them the chance to do something before I get on their black list for getting them into trouble with the big guys at BMW. I only have one dealer that is at all convenient, so my options are limited. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble - and I certainly don't want my nice SA to take the fall when it's hardly her fault - but I think the loaner situation needs to be addressed.

Thoughts?
You can always write a nice letter of "suggestion for service improvement" based upon your personal experience and address it either to BMW NA or BMW AG concerning the level of service expected out of a BMW dealership. In the process, make it clear that you understand that it is dealership policy and not your SA's service that has room for improvement. That should get the message across.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
First oil refill 640i

I had to refill 1liter (1.06 quart) after 10000 km (6200 miles). Mostly country roads, 50% in sport mode, 50% in normal or comfort mode.
The car is in for the first service in a couple of weeks, so they are asked to check it out. I have saved some other issues over the last almost two years as well, to be carried out at the dealer.
      04-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts?
The funny thing is I did not receive survey email for dropping car off for service at this dealership both times. I got them before with previous cars at this dealership with different SA but not now. I once gave less than perfect before, and they were eager to address whatever I complained back then. I have been looking out for survey email for both occasions with this car but nothing. I guess they probably do the survey themselves these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
You can always write a nice letter of "suggestion for service improvement" based upon your personal experience and address it either to BMW NA or BMW AG concerning the level of service expected out of a BMW dealership. In the process, make it clear that you understand that it is dealership policy and not your SA's service that has room for improvement. That should get the message across.
Thanks Andreo for another insightful recommendation, I will go ahead and do that. I was going to review them on Yelp but they already got 2.5 star. May be I can help them get 2 star, but they probably don't care anyway.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/century-west-bmw-studio-city-2
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
specific-software
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3, X5M, Z4

@neversummer78

Is the programming recall due to the drivetrain malfunction or oil burning? Or both?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specific-software View Post
@neversummer78

Is the programming recall due to the drivetrain malfunction or oil burning? Or both?
SA did not say what this programming recall addresses but hoping that it might help with both issues. I will have to find out more information on Tuesday and will update.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by specific-software
@neversummer78

My drive train malfunction was attributed to bad software. They did some update a couple months ago and no problems since.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My drive train malfunction was attributed to bad software. They did some update a couple months ago and no problems since.
Looking forward to some problem free performance!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #34
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looking forward to some problem free performance!
That's how I felty during the better part of February. Luckily I'm finally experiencing it... albeit with my fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

specific-software

Today I dropped off the car for recall/campaign that SA mentioned over the phone last week. The odd thing is in the description.

"PERFORM CAMPAIGN - B65 22 12 Nav Map Update"

I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
specific-software

Today I dropped off the car for recall/campaign that SA mentioned over the phone last week. The odd thing is in the description.

Better question is, how's your NAV working these days?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Better question is, how's your NAV working these days?
NAV has been working great! I didn't have any issue at all. So why NAV?

I just emailed SA asking her for more information regarding this campaign. May be she can give me more information about it tomorrow. I will take this car out tomorrow and do some routine driving and see if this problem comes back.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #38
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
specific-software

Sounds a bit sketchy to me...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
BillCB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i X Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
When I first read this thread, before taking delivery of my GC, I was a bit alarmed. My 645Ci never needed oil between changes and I'd kind of assumed the GC wouldn't either.

Well, so far so good. I'm at 8,000 km (5,000 miles) and oil usage is minimal, certainly not even close to needing to add any.

I did run the car in very carefully, especially varying the speed a lot and not using cruise control, and it seems to have paid off. Or perhaps BMW addressed the problem that has afflicted others in the 2014 model.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #40
specific-software
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3, X5M, Z4

I still have the same issues with the oil consumption. Now with 7081 miles I had to add oil the 6th time!

I was at the dealership yesterday and they still telling me that's normal. The best question from them: are you driving a lot or sometimes fast? because that could cause higher oil consumption. Are they kidding me????

But the comment from the service manager really killed me: "I have good news, your car qualifies to add 1qt more oil than usual, means instead of 1qt they could add 2qt."

They added 1qt of oil around noon time (with 7081 miles) and it was at the maximum, in the evening I checked again and it was a little lower than maximum already (with 7135 miles).

no idea what to do now, but this is really unacceptable.
Do you think it makes sense to go to another dealership/service center?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 550I V8 (N62TU)

Quote:
I still have the same issues with the oil consumption. Now with 7081 miles I had to add oil the 6th time!
I was at the dealership yesterday and they still telling me that's normal. The best question from them: are you driving a lot or sometimes fast? because that could cause higher oil consumption. Are they kidding me????
But the comment from the service manager really killed me: "I have good news, your car qualifies to add 1qt more oil than usual, means instead of 1qt they could add 2qt."
They added 1qt of oil around noon time (with 7081 miles) and it was at the maximum, in the evening I checked again and it was a little lower than maximum already (with 7135 miles).

Investigation of Oil Consumption Issues should begin with the CCV / Intake system. Oil in the intake should not be considered normal and reduced to as minimal amount as possible.
This was taken from a recent article, as it also relates to the BMW owners oil consumption issue;

PVC-INTEGRATED ROCKER COVERS
One of the most distinctive features of the new LS1 Corvette engine is it's domed valve covers, which house the patent-pending, integrated positive crankcase ventilation system designed to enhance oil economy and oil life, while reducing oil consumption and contributing to lower emissions. The valve covers also hold the individual direct mount coil packs. Between the coil packs, the domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from of the crankcase gases - about 3 times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

3rd oil top up at 4000 miles....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #43
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 550I V8 (N62TU)

Quote:
Check out page 20 (notation) of the BMW Training manual (attached link)

http://prodcds.bmwuniversity.com/lib...troduction.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #44
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

There is nothing on page 20 about oil consumption (or the V8 for that matter.) Page 20 is about the N55. Reading through the rest of the manual, I see nothing about oil consumption. This thing reads like more marketing fluff. What is it you are trying to pint out?
Appreciate 0