BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Tyre Pressure Sensors

I am changing my 373 20 inch wheels and wondered if they have tyre pressure sensors. I suspect mine does because I can see tyre pressure readings in the iDrive 'vehicle settings'. If so, the sensors will need swapping over.

But what if they break? And if some or all need to be replaced, will they need coding to the car?

Or maybe it doesn't have tyre pressure sensors - I have been reading conflicting ideas about air pressure readings linked to ABS or something.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You can input the last 7 digits of your VIN using any of the online BMW VIN decoding sites....and look for the option code number. If you have S2VB - Tyre pressure control...then you have sensors.

Some BMW markets do not use sensors...but uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to calculate tire rotation to determine if the tire is losing pressure. But when this "flat tire monitor" system is used...you can't pull up individual tire inflation pressure data.

Below are two of my "go-to" VIN decoding sites...again, you have to enter the LAST 7 digits of the VIN and answer the puzzle or captcha questions correctly...then you should see a build sheet and option code list:
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

You have a 65 plate if memory serves, if it is like mine it will have the sensors. I think only the very early cars had the ABS sensors in the UK.

No coding is necessary on these to make them work. You can swap each out and the car will self learn the location of said sensor. (unlike some cars switching from Winter to Summer this was one of my concerns but it is flawless if a little "slow" as you need to find a road with different limits and quite a good distance).

They are quite fragile though and about £120 for each corner, approx life is 5 years, after which you need to replace them or you can cut the battery out and replace it if so inclined.

Removal is fairly easy, but just take it easy to avoid breaking them. Many refurbishment places won't warranty them either when removing/refitting because they can break (mine went to Lepsons no issues).

Biggest issue though is the stems corroding in the alloy and having to cut them off (speaking from experience with another refurber I know who hates them with a passion).

This system unlike the earlier ABS system is also able to show temperature in the tyre with a bit of coding .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Thanks guys. I can see I do have 2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator. Just wish I didn't!

What happens if you simply don't put them back? Do you get an irritating message popping up?

Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
gunner12
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 640i xdrive gran coupe

any reputable tire shop should be able to replace and setup for you
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:26 AM   #6
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
Thanks guys. I can see I do have 2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator. Just wish I didn't!

What happens if you simply don't put them back? Do you get an irritating message popping up?

Mark
Warning light and in our case you will fail an MOT for them not being in operation.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:36 AM   #7
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner12 View Post
any reputable tire shop should be able to replace and setup for you
Very easy to do for tire shops. They could also get you replacement tyre sensors
Appreciate 0