BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

I moved from a 5 xdrive M to a 6GC xdrive M. No regrets. As stated previously, test drive and you will know.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
I moved from a 5 xdrive M to a 6GC xdrive M. No regrets. As stated previously, test drive and you will know.
Good to know - thanks! Got in touch with my CA - scheduling a test drive of a 650xi GC for next week... will update you guys on it then! Thanks for all the great feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #25
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Good to know - thanks! Got in touch with my CA - scheduling a test drive of a 650xi GC for next week... will update you guys on it then! Thanks for all the great feedback!
No problems and now into 3 weeks with my 650ix GC and must say I do like the looks of it..look back sometimes just to see the more graceful and aggressive lines and profile. Looks more like a sports car than my 550i. Drives better too and you don't feel the weight as much and dynamics versus my stock 550i. I think a lot has to do with the fact you sit lower in the 6 series and the dynamics seem a bit more sporty. However it does cruise just as well as my old 550i on the highway very easily. Also as I mentioned to my "better half" the other day...I have noted that I have NOT seen another 6series GC yet in three weeks of ownership outside the dealers lot. Maybe more if I head closer to Seattle but 45 miles away you don't see that many at all versus my 5 series which I'd see about 6-12 times a week. Sort of like that aspect of the car. Gets looks and questions/inquiries...the positive kind though..."nice car" and "is that really a BMW?" stuff like that.

One complaint though it the active cruise control or whatever it is....I need to REALLY read the manual cause I can't figure out how to use it properly or as I expect it to work. Would be ONE thing I'd leave off the car IF I designed/ordered it myself and could really pick and choose options. Tried it in stop an go traffic and it worked for a few miles and amazed me but then shut off...also let it once stay on while I took an off ramp JUST so see what the technology would do knowing that there was a light at the end of the off ramp. Well active cruise kept going or kept going for long enough that I wasn't comfortable letting it stop before the stopping traffic in front of me...so I braked on my own. To its credit/fault...not sure if it was designed to do what I was asking (i.e. must read the manual again) but I do think I am NOT ready to give up that much control of the driving experience just yet! LOL

Good luck with your test drive and let us know.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #26
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

It will only stop if there's another car. It doesn't read traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
That could have been ugly!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #28
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
No problems and now into 3 weeks with my 650ix GC and must say I do like the looks of it..look back sometimes just to see the more graceful and aggressive lines and profile. Looks more like a sports car than my 550i. Drives better too and you don't feel the weight as much and dynamics versus my stock 550i. I think a lot has to do with the fact you sit lower in the 6 series and the dynamics seem a bit more sporty. However it does cruise just as well as my old 550i on the highway very easily. Also as I mentioned to my "better half" the other day...I have noted that I have NOT seen another 6series GC yet in three weeks of ownership outside the dealers lot. Maybe more if I head closer to Seattle but 45 miles away you don't see that many at all versus my 5 series which I'd see about 6-12 times a week. Sort of like that aspect of the car. Gets looks and questions/inquiries...the positive kind though..."nice car" and "is that really a BMW?" stuff like that.

One complaint though it the active cruise control or whatever it is....I need to REALLY read the manual cause I can't figure out how to use it properly or as I expect it to work. Would be ONE thing I'd leave off the car IF I designed/ordered it myself and could really pick and choose options. Tried it in stop an go traffic and it worked for a few miles and amazed me but then shut off...also let it once stay on while I took an off ramp JUST so see what the technology would do knowing that there was a light at the end of the off ramp. Well active cruise kept going or kept going for long enough that I wasn't comfortable letting it stop before the stopping traffic in front of me...so I braked on my own. To its credit/fault...not sure if it was designed to do what I was asking (i.e. must read the manual again) but I do think I am NOT ready to give up that much control of the driving experience just yet! LOL

Good luck with your test drive and let us know.
I have the ACC with Stop&Go on my current 5-series, and I agree it's a bit "iffy" at times. I've used it many times on the highway, but I'd not try it in any other circumstance. On the highway it'll work well if there are "reasonable" acceleration and deceleration events going on - but if people slam on their brakes or accelerate quickly in front of you, it becomes unpredictable. But I can say, under normal braking of cars in front on the highway, it WILL bring the car to a complete stop and then go again (if under 3 seconds of stop-time) on its own. What it won't do is emergency brake - I believe I read the system can only apply a subset of the car's full stopping power, so it's possible to get the collision warning system flashing at you while it's attempting to brake, and you WILL need to manually intervene to keep from becoming a permanent piece of the car in front of you.

The car I'll be test driving next week unfortunately doesn't have DHP as my 5 does - I'm a bit concerned it may impact my perception of the car as I truly didn't like the 550xi without DHP - it only had the "standard" suspension (no sport suspension even with M Sport on the xDrive 5's) - is this the same for the 6's?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #29
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

More feedback

So I returned from my trip and took my friends 550xi home from the airport. On the downside, that glove box door is a piece of crap - can't believe they put a door like that in a $70K car. I also REALLY miss my leather dash and Nappa seats. My 650GC feels so much more luxurious. Oh and the exhaust - the 550xi does not compare to the 650GC in terms of exhaust note (I'm not even sure the 550 has an exhaust note). Oh and I hate the auto trunk - I'm always waiting for it - can't believe I'm saying it, but I like the manual operation of the 650 more.

However..
Man his 550xi feels FAST and nimble. He has the M-Sport package but nothing else and I seem to remember that with the AWD on the 550 that means nothing. I called my friend on the way home and said "Your car feels so much faster than mine" and he totally agreed. It also feels much more nimble. The 650GC xi weighs about 175 lbs more and is a lot longer, but to me, the 550xi feels about 500 lbs lighter.

On that note...I've always thought my 650 felt a little doggy and really needed to be run in sport mode. Upon mentioning this to my friend (before we traded cars) he said his car was not like that. Now I understand why. In regular comfort mode his car feels faster and lighter than my car in sport mode.

And regarding the steering - they seem very similar now that my car does not have run-flats. Prior to the switch to the Conti DWS, my steering felt tighter than his.

We have agreed to keep the trade going for a while longer. He did comment how much he is enjoying my car - so I need to dig into that a little more. I think he is just in love with the looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #30
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Sorry let me clarify...there were cars ahead of me stopping at the light just the distance was quite a bit. Anyway I didn't think the car would stop so I did so on my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
That could have been ugly!!
Yeah I think so but I was watching the system to make sure.
Quote:
I have the ACC with Stop&Go on my current 5-series, and I agree it's a bit "iffy" at times. I've used it many times on the highway, but I'd not try it in any other circumstance. On the highway it'll work well if there are "reasonable" acceleration and deceleration events going on - but if people slam on their brakes or accelerate quickly in front of you, it becomes unpredictable. But I can say, under normal braking of cars in front on the highway, it WILL bring the car to a complete stop and then go again (if under 3 seconds of stop-time) on its own. What it won't do is emergency brake - I believe I read the system can only apply a subset of the car's full stopping power, so it's possible to get the collision warning system flashing at you while it's attempting to brake, and you WILL need to manually intervene to keep from becoming a permanent piece of the car in front of you.

The car I'll be test driving next week unfortunately doesn't have DHP as my 5 does - I'm a bit concerned it may impact my perception of the car as I truly didn't like the 550xi without DHP - it only had the "standard" suspension (no sport suspension even with M Sport on the xDrive 5's) - is this the same for the 6's?
Yeah I noticed that too. In stop and go highway traffic it slowed down to a stop and then started on its own about 2-3 times for a few miles. Then when the car accelerated in front of me beyond a certain distance it seemed not to know what to do and wouldn't keep the interval I wanted. I set the speed say at 70 and it would keep distance but seemed to want to slow back to 65 mph which was the posted speed readout in the display. That seemed weird as I don't think I need BMW telling me I over the limit and adjusting it for me. But I'll read more and my fix is really not to use the system if its that finicky. No problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
So I returned from my trip and took my friends 550xi home from the airport. On the downside, that glove box door is a piece of crap - can't believe they put a door like that in a $70K car. I also REALLY miss my leather dash and Nappa seats. My 650GC feels so much more luxurious. Oh and the exhaust - the 550xi does not compare to the 650GC in terms of exhaust note (I'm not even sure the 550 has an exhaust note). Oh and I hate the auto trunk - I'm always waiting for it - can't believe I'm saying it, but I like the manual operation of the 650 more.

However..
Man his 550xi feels FAST and nimble. He has the M-Sport package but nothing else and I seem to remember that with the AWD on the 550 that means nothing. I called my friend on the way home and said "Your car feels so much faster than mine" and he totally agreed. It also feels much more nimble. The 650GC xi weighs about 175 lbs more and is a lot longer, but to me, the 550xi feels about 500 lbs lighter.

On that note...I've always thought my 650 felt a little doggy and really needed to be run in sport mode. Upon mentioning this to my friend (before we traded cars) he said his car was not like that. Now I understand why. In regular comfort mode his car feels faster and lighter than my car in sport mode.

And regarding the steering - they seem very similar now that my car does not have run-flats. Prior to the switch to the Conti DWS, my steering felt tighter than his.

We have agreed to keep the trade going for a while longer. He did comment how much he is enjoying my car - so I need to dig into that a little more. I think he is just in love with the looks.
Hmm my 550i was faster than my 650i and a lot more nimble too but that was only after quite a few mods [it was a Dinan modded car]. Acceleration in the 650ix isn't bad at all just needs a tune to get the full responsiveness I am used to. Cornering is about as good as the 550i; actually better and more sporty I think...but need more driving to confirm it. I think the biggest thing you do notice is the length...it is longer and enough so that I just notice when I park it sometimes and in tighter circumstances where I would more easily maneuver my 550i. But I am aware of this aspect so am getting used to it and watch things to ensure I don't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #31
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
All 6s in the US have the same suspension, which in theory is sport tuned. The M-Sport option is only cosmetic. It used to include a louder exhaust, but that's now the same across the board (on the V8s anyway). The only suspension option is ARS which flattens lean in turns and smooths ride over uneven roads by decoupling the anti-sway bars when pointed straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #32
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You guys have all been comparing apples, let me throw in some oranges.
Went from a 535 xi GT to a 640 xi Vert. So same engine, transmission, etc. both with 19" RFTs.
The vert is soooo much faster, acceleration is so much better. Steering, handling, everything.
I know I've posted this before but,

I LOVE THIS CAR !!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #33
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, a few things stood out to me here that I'll need to pay attention to during the test drive:

1. 6GC is longer than the 5. I came from a 335 prior to the 5, and my other car is an R8, so the 5 already feels like a whale to me... albeit a nice, luxurious whale. But it does leave me concerned that some of you are saying the 5 is "nimble" in comparison. I would have hoped the Gran Coupe, which is lower-slung and wider (I think?) would be better handling?

2. Acceleration - the 550xi is pretty quick... according to BMW the 650xi has the same 0 - 60 (4.3s). Perhaps it's more of how it feels versus actual performance that differs? The 6GC is heavier, so I'd imagine it would have to be a tenth or two slower, but not according to BMW - unless it's a transmission gearing thing. I certainly don't NEED the all the power of this car, but I may be disappointed if it felt noticeably slower in some way.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #34
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So, a few things stood out to me here that I'll need to pay attention to during the test drive:

1. 6GC is longer than the 5. I came from a 335 prior to the 5, and my other car is an R8, so the 5 already feels like a whale to me... albeit a nice, luxurious whale. But it does leave me concerned that some of you are saying the 5 is "nimble" in comparison. I would have hoped the Gran Coupe, which is lower-slung and wider (I think?) would be better handling?

2. Acceleration - the 550xi is pretty quick... according to BMW the 650xi has the same 0 - 60 (4.3s). Perhaps it's more of how it feels versus actual performance that differs? The 6GC is heavier, so I'd imagine it would have to be a tenth or two slower, but not according to BMW - unless it's a transmission gearing thing. I certainly don't NEED the all the power of this car, but I may be disappointed if it felt noticeably slower in some way.
Well you can see that some people feel the 6 is sportier. I think that might be because you sit lower so it feels sportier. Once again, feel.

I don't know what it is, but if my 650 is not in sport mode (trans) it is doggy. My friends 550xi is perfect in comfort and I have not even tried sport (I'm afraid). Ultimately, the 650 is prettier both inside and out but just not a better drive so far
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #35
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

The 6 is definitely bigger but my previous 2011 535 xdrive M compared to my 2014 640 xdrive M is quite similar in ride and performance. If anything, the 2014 inline 6 turbo is more responsive. A welcome upgrade. I can't speak for a 2015 5 series. I was very happy with my 5 and even more happy with my 6. Just go and drive them
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #36
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

IMO, the 6 drives much better than the 5. But the 5 is way more comfy to drive in long distance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #37
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Hmm I think it depends on how much time you've spent in each car. My 550i was sporty but I sat higher a bit and it had a different mass and dynamics to it. Add to it the upgrades and I had an M5 almost for daily handling. My 650ix GC so far hasn't met that yet but for reasons I am aware of. It is a larger car and weighs more by a few hundred pounds. Would like to add M6 front sway bars as I did with my 550i and H&R or Dinan springs to tie down the suspension dynamics a bit but not sure if possible as H&R says no set yet for AWD so wait and see. Car however is a good ride and fast...nothing that a set of turbos, intercoolers, and ECU tune won't improve however [much as Alpina's B6 did]. Also 550i would break free at the rears which the 650ix doesn't allow me to do but that's okay. I do drive it in sport mode too most of the time but I did that in my 550i too so nothing new to me there. Very responsive throttle in sport mode and you do really notice the difference between it and comfort mode. Will be interesting to see the change after I upgrade the ECU and possibly Intercoolers next week. I remember after doing Dinan Stage 5 & Intercoolers in my 550i the car was a beast! Really shoved you in your seat when you nailed it and took off like a scaulded cat and sounded glorious especially with my Eissenman exhaust.

So so far the 650ix is different type of experience that's all not an inferior one by any means. I like it and it does look alot better than my 550i inside and outside..and the 5 series isn't too shabby by any means.

Last edited by mdrobc13; 10-13-2014 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:27 AM   #38
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Went from a 535 xi GT to a 640 xi Vert. So same engine, transmission, etc. both with 19" RFTs.
The vert is soooo much faster, acceleration is so much better. Steering, handling, everything.

I LOVE THIS CAR !!
Because (according to BMWNA website) your 640 xi Vert is 240 lb lighter, has 15 HP more power and 30 lb-ft more torque. Also the axle ratio is a bit shorter (3.23 vs 3.08)... overall the 640 xi Vert must go 0-60 about 0.6-0.7 second faster than 535 xi GT
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #39
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:

I LOVE THIS CAR !!
I can't believe 2 things....
1) you bought the 5 series GT
2) that it too you soo long to get rid of it for the 6 series.

My dealer friends and managers absolutely hate that car. Put it waaay back in their lots when they've had them around..nobody buys them or likes them they say over say a regular 5 series or a 6 and the ones that do go for the X5 or even X6 they say. Am curious did they give you a good/fair trade price?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #40
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

A final update,
I got my GC back on Sunday. The first thing I noticed upon leaving his driveway was that my steering was stiffer (interesting how back to back drives can show stuff like this). The GC (as mentioned) also feels much less "bouncy" and does seem to stick better to the ground. Still it is a bit like piloting a boat, so there is nothing nimble about the GC. The rock hard seats were also instantly noticed as was the incredible exhaust sound.

I'm glad to be back in my car.

Quote:

My dealer friends and managers absolutely hate that car. Put it waaay back in their lots when they've had them around..nobody buys them or likes them they say over say a regular 5 series or a 6 and the ones that do go for the X5 or even X6 they say. Am curious did they give you a good/fair trade price?
I don't think it is fair to knock on the GT. If you wanted/needed a 5-series wagon this is your only choice. The X5 and X6 sit up much higher and have much less rear seat room. Remember the GT is based on the 7-series platform. So think of it more like a 7-series hatch and it really does well in that regard. Not for everyone of course, but a cool niche car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #41
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1. It was a lease
Followed 2 previous 5 series wagons which were no longer available in the US market
2. Needed something big enough to move 2 kids in & out of college ( one of them a ice hockey goalie You know how big that bag is????)
3. The GT actually had greater luggage space than the 535 ix wagon
4. It drove better than the wagon, especially in New England winters. (Ski house in Vt. )
5. THEN THEY GRADUATED !!!!

DADDY GOT HIS CONVERTIBLE.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #42
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, I test drove the 650xi GC today...

First impressions:

1. It's clearly not as nimble as my 550xi. For a car that looks a good deal sportier, this actually disappointed me a bit. Granted, my 550xi has DHP, and this car didn't. That may be part of it as the DHP has ARS, which really does seem to help shave the feeling of weight when cornering.

2. Throttle response - I drive my 550xi in comfort mode 90% of the time - other 10% in sport. In comfort, the 650xi felt much more sluggish to respond. I know it's a few hundred pounds heavier, but I feel like the throttle tuning must be different? It was very noticeably slower to respond. I had to mash it more to get it to move. Even then, I'm not sure it was as quick.

3. The interior is very nice. The leather, and in all places it exists, is a NICE upgrade from the 550xi. It's softer, more supple feeling, and just overall looks nicer and higher quality.

4. Seating position and seats - the seating position is considerably lower if you adjust the seat to its lowest position (which I did as I'm tall). In that position, I feel like I'm much lower than the 5's lowest position. Then again, I also felt like I could hardly judge the corners of the car. The seats were also noticeably harder - something I'd expect from a sportier car, but still very acceptable.

Overall, I'm not sure I can justify the move. I'm disappointed that the 5 feels more nimble and quick, yet the 6 LOOKS more nimble and quick. I would gladly give up a bit of seat comfort, deal with the longer dimensions, and even suck up the higher price... but I'm not sure I like the way the car drove. Don't get me wrong - it felt plenty capable, but I'm just surprised the 5 felt more light on its feet and responsive.

The flip side to that was that the 6GC feels a bit more planted. The 5 is a very stable cruiser on the highway, but the 6GC took it to a higher level. As I said above, it also adds a notch in refinement with nicer leather finishes and appointments. Other than that, the equipment is pretty much on par from car to car.

Bottom line? I don't think I'll be making the move - or just yet. I may wait out the LCI to arrive and re-evaluate then. I think all of the impressions in this thread seem to be spot-on. Pros and cons on both ends - wish I could have it all in one car!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
1. It was a lease
Followed 2 previous 5 series wagons which were no longer available in the US market
2. Needed something big enough to move 2 kids in & out of college ( one of them a ice hockey goalie You know how big that bag is????)
3. The GT actually had greater luggage space than the 535 ix wagon
4. It drove better than the wagon, especially in New England winters. (Ski house in Vt. )
5. THEN THEY GRADUATED !!!!

DADDY GOT HIS CONVERTIBLE.
Got it and understand that there are some that do go for the GT for much the reasons you mentioned. Don't want an X but BMW no longer offers many wagon options. I would have went looking for the M5 wagon from last generation myself OR the Cadillac CTV-S wagon which I hear/read is outstanding. My buddy wants an Audi RS-6 Avant for much the same reasons but Audi as w/BMW won't bring em here. So understand the needs.
Was just repeating observations of my dealer friends on the GT. Must say though the 3 series GT does do a better job of the concept...they must have learned from the 5 GT some.

Surprisingly the model that surprised me most recently that I'd really consider was the 435 Gran Coupe! That car looks nice and isn't too much and would be what I'd consider versus a sedan in that category. Was very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #44
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
So, I test drove the 650xi GC today...

First impressions:

1. It's clearly not as nimble as my 550xi. For a car that looks a good deal sportier, this actually disappointed me a bit. Granted, my 550xi has DHP, and this car didn't. That may be part of it as the DHP has ARS, which really does seem to help shave the feeling of weight when cornering.

2. Throttle response - I drive my 550xi in comfort mode 90% of the time - other 10% in sport. In comfort, the 650xi felt much more sluggish to respond. I know it's a few hundred pounds heavier, but I feel like the throttle tuning must be different? It was very noticeably slower to respond. I had to mash it more to get it to move. Even then, I'm not sure it was as quick.

3. The interior is very nice. The leather, and in all places it exists, is a NICE upgrade from the 550xi. It's softer, more supple feeling, and just overall looks nicer and higher quality.

4. Seating position and seats - the seating position is considerably lower if you adjust the seat to its lowest position (which I did as I'm tall). In that position, I feel like I'm much lower than the 5's lowest position. Then again, I also felt like I could hardly judge the corners of the car. The seats were also noticeably harder - something I'd expect from a sportier car, but still very acceptable.

Overall, I'm not sure I can justify the move. I'm disappointed that the 5 feels more nimble and quick, yet the 6 LOOKS more nimble and quick. I would gladly give up a bit of seat comfort, deal with the longer dimensions, and even suck up the higher price... but I'm not sure I like the way the car drove. Don't get me wrong - it felt plenty capable, but I'm just surprised the 5 felt more light on its feet and responsive.

The flip side to that was that the 6GC feels a bit more planted. The 5 is a very stable cruiser on the highway, but the 6GC took it to a higher level. As I said above, it also adds a notch in refinement with nicer leather finishes and appointments. Other than that, the equipment is pretty much on par from car to car.

Bottom line? I don't think I'll be making the move - or just yet. I may wait out the LCI to arrive and re-evaluate then. I think all of the impressions in this thread seem to be spot-on. Pros and cons on both ends - wish I could have it all in one car!
Get a tune...few are avail from Burger I think to Dinan for the 6 series and it will take care of the throttle response. Also keep it in Sport mode. In comfort and comfort plus there is noticeable difference in throttle response and it isn't as quick as you would initially think given its sporty background and driving stance. Same issue I had with my '12 550i OEM...it wasn't until I went to Dinan Stage 3 and beyond and put on better/bigger intercoolers that I found the car to drive waay more sporty than the OEM 5 series I purchased. Agree with the sight lines and driving in the 6 series..I am not as comfortable on its size yet than in my 550 but I've had the car about 1 mo. It is a larger car no way around that...however it does feel very planted and drives much smaller than it looks. I think part of what you are referring to is sight lines due to smaller back window, lower driving position and longer nose/hood. I do take turns in the 650 wondering at times how close I am to my turn in/curb etc and its definitely NOT my Porsche in terms of point and shoot! But it isn't that bad and a few upgrades should take care of that nicely much as I found with my 550i out the box from BMW also.
Also my car has DHP and feels very planted and nimble.

Remember they make an M6 GC and no review I've read has complained about it not being nimble or sporty so its possible. Just from what I've seen BMW has softened both the base 5 and 6 series some and both require a few changes (such as m5 front sways and ECU tunes on the 550 to get it up to sporty standards seen in the M5 and likewise with the 6). However I think most owners and reviewers have found the opposite in saying the 6 series actually drive much more sport than the 5 series (at east the coupe and vert versions) probably due to driving position, chassis dynamics, and such. Good luck with whatever you do...
Appreciate 0