BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #23
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
So prior to the issue, when did you check the oil level, and what was the level?
I don't actually check the oil level but rely on the fact it wasn't burning anything and I hadn't ever received a low oil warning or noticed any oil on garage floor or any residue at the edge of the pipes when I do my weekly hand wash.

The best diagnosis my SA could get out of the mechanic was that "the engine locked up, probably from crank bearings"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
What? Check my sig...
Riddle M6s are fake M6s
      06-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Riddle M6s are fake M6s
:*(
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #26
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
just did my first trackday at Thunderhill in Norcal. Man, this car can MOVE, even on a tight technical curicuit. I had michelin 4s's and a little more camber in the rear and toe out on front.. Super impressed w the car's ability to handle its' heft on the track. I also had Motul RBF brake fluid, so the car's brakes never faded or changed in pedal feel. I was pretty surprised about that as well.

As for this topic, i've now put over 10k miles in a year on my M6. I've driven cross country, lots of mountain rains, first trackday. I'm awlays gentle on warmup, and check oil levels once every month.

I change oil every 4k miles or so, roughly.. So i've never dealt with any oil burning either.

As far as issues, I've only had one where a sensor had failed, and that was a simple fix under warranty. That was it. Hoping for many more trouble free miles (out of warranty ) lol.

Hope OP gets his engine sorted and keep us updated!
Appreciate 2
gregmb19.50
      06-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #27
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Blimey!!!....I just bought an M6 and started having misfire issues.

And now all these threads are popping up!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Well, got my baby back this afternoon, brand new engine and all! Seems to be running as good as new (well, it is new

Never could get any additional info on the root cause or diagnosis re the failure... of course, the terrible experience of trying to make a cloverleaf exit on a seized engine will remain with me and never be far from my thoughts on this car. Will need to do the early run-in service after 1,200 miles, and will likely add Blackstone analysis to my oil changes at least every 5k miles. Here's to another couple years of extended warranty...
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      06-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #29
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
just did my first trackday at Thunderhill in Norcal. Man, this car can MOVE, even on a tight technical curicuit. I had michelin 4s's and a little more camber in the rear and toe out on front.. Super impressed w the car's ability to handle its' heft on the track. I also had Motul RBF brake fluid, so the car's brakes never faded or changed in pedal feel. I was pretty surprised about that as well.

As for this topic, i've now put over 10k miles in a year on my M6. I've driven cross country, lots of mountain rains, first trackday. I'm awlays gentle on warmup, and check oil levels once every month.

I change oil every 4k miles or so, roughly.. So i've never dealt with any oil burning either.

As far as issues, I've only had one where a sensor had failed, and that was a simple fix under warranty. That was it. Hoping for many more trouble free miles (out of warranty ) lol.

Glad to hear about your fun track day - keep it up as here's to hoping mine was one in a thousand (or maybe hundred

It's unlikely that I will ever track mine, but since she's a vert with CCB's I never intended to track her anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
just to add, people that think the m6 is too big or heavy of a car for track duty, they might be right, but it is supremely capable; consider the laptime a M6GC has put up at Willow Springs by Randy Pobst; http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

the GRAND COUPE is faster than R35 GTR, gallardo lp560-4, c63amg S, and a lot of other fast cars. That is NOT bad at all! I'd wager the coupe w comp pack is even faster!
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #31
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
just to add, people that think the m6 is too big or heavy of a car for track duty, they might be right, but it is supremely capable; consider the laptime a M6GC has put up at Willow Springs by Randy Pobst; http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

the GRAND COUPE is faster than R35 GTR, gallardo lp560-4, c63amg S, and a lot of other fast cars. That is NOT bad at all! I'd wager the coupe w comp pack is even faster!
Holy cow that's a crazy fast time... I never would have guessed. Not too many lap times for M6's
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

nice report. I'm not surprised by the result. This M6 is going to be faster than anything in the 2003-2013 generation of super cars. It's faster in the straight line than the F430 and F458 Ferraris, and going to be likewise faster than the Lambo equivalent. What I am surprised by is the road course times. I actually use the Car and Driver Lighting lap times as indicator, and the M6 is just ho-hum in the middle of the pack....faster than Caymans and current gen M3s, but not faster than purpose built sports cars that are over 400 HP due to the weight.

The lightest factory configuration you can build is a ZCP coupe with a 6MT, titanium exhaust, 343s, and CCBs probably will weigh in at 41XX lbs. It's a lot of weight for a track car standard, but for a sports car with 600 HP, it'll obliterate a lot of other cars. I'm going to say it'll be close to the performance of a Ferrari 599, 997.1 TTs and gen 2 GTRs.

Also, you are literally the first person in the history bimmerpost to have tracked their M6 GC. I'm confident in this statement.

That said, you got any pictures of the event? And have you read this article - Road and Track took the first model year M6 GC 6MT on a few tracks and wrote a great article.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ation-feature/

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-19-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #33
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
haha, i'm sure others have tracked their m6's no? Btw, mine is not a GC, its the coupe. DCT. I have no idea what wheels, and has competition package. No pics of event, it was a SCCA event put together at Thunderhill Raceway West.

This is a pic of my car : https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajd3CnU3AkNXXzM67

I did take a video from my dash cam of one of the run, I was in the novice group as it was my first trackday with a car.. I'm an experienced motorcycle rider at the track in A+ group, but not with cars.. Hell of a good time! Michelin 4s's are the best tires, EVER
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      06-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #34
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
haha, i'm sure others have tracked their m6's no? Btw, mine is not a GC, its the coupe. DCT. I have no idea what wheels, and has competition package. No pics of event, it was a SCCA event put together at Thunderhill Raceway West.

This is a pic of my car : https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajd3CnU3AkNXXzM67

I did take a video from my dash cam of one of the run, I was in the novice group as it was my first trackday with a car.. I'm an experienced motorcycle rider at the track in A+ group, but not with cars.. Hell of a good time! Michelin 4s's are the best tires, EVER
Any brake fade?
      06-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #35
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
None at all. I switched fluids to motul rbf600 a while ago, so that really must have helped. No changes in pedal travel, always consistent and STRONG. The brakes are really amazing. No ccb btw. Just steel.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #36
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
None at all. I switched fluids to motul rbf600 a while ago, so that really must have helped. No changes in pedal travel, always consistent and STRONG. The brakes are really amazing. No ccb btw. Just steel.
stock pads too I assume? Basically, everything was stock expect for the fluid?
      06-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yeah stock pads/rotors.

My only mods are a BPM sport tune (around 680 crank), michelin4s's, and suspension tweaks so more camber in rear, toe out in front. Motul RBF600 brake fluids, and BMC race air filter / charcoal delete. Oh and I have the Euro M TC coded in.

Thats it! I was debating if I want to get Dinan's anti roll bar or negative control arms (for camber adjustment in front), or the KW HAS springs to lower a bit, but at the end of the day, I was supremely happy w it's capability as is, so not sure I want to sink $$ into makign it more track capable.
Its just the mod-bug getting into my head every now and then !
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      06-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #38
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

So to this had happened to me as well. Within the last yr and half I've ownrd 2 M6 coups. The first alpine white all options except B&O was stolen in South Florida. Insurance paid it off and gap the difference. Few moths later I then bought a Sakhir orange with B&O. I had the car only for a few wks. While going to cars and coffee in Palm Beach coming off an exit ramp the car shuts off as I'm waiting on a green light. Radio and everything works but would not turn over. Called a tow truck, had to put the tranny in neutral by sticking a screw driver in a hole under the cup holders. A Few days later I got word from the dealership that the engine had seized. I bought it as is so you could imagine the stress I was in at this point. I've owned 7 BMWs all bought at this dealership so I had a close relationship with almost everyone. Fast fwd a couple months with no car ( actually they gave me a loaner for the first two wks until I had to return it) BMW approved a brand new engine for the car. This was an absolute blessing as I stated before it was bought as is no warranty and I didn't put any extended either. The dealer managers and district managers did everything they could for me and got BMW of NA to get me the new engine which I'm very grateful for. I'm blessed. The car didn't give a single sign of an issue. It was owned by a doctor and was bone stock with 49k miles when I bought it. Was not abused to my knowledge and carfax was squeaky clean so I felt confident in my purchase. Car is great now. About to do my first oil change since the new engine installed. Now here's the kicker, a buddy of mine with a 14 F10 m5 fully modded with meth, full bolt on and tune called me up a few wks ago after racing that his car had shut off and not turning over but had electrical power. Turned out his engine also seized. I'll find out what his mechanic stated was the issue exactly. For me the dealership didn't really give me much details when I asked what happened and I wasn't gonna be pushy because of the favor. For the m5, he's currently waiting on a engine replacement. Sadly it'll be with a used one. Just to share my experience this far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gregmb19.50
      06-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #39
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock1012 View Post
So to this had happened to me as well. Within the last yr and half I've ownrd 2 M6 coups. The first alpine white all options except B&O was stolen in South Florida. Insurance paid it off and gap the difference. Few moths later I then bought a Sakhir orange with B&O. I had the car only for a few wks. While going to cars and coffee in Palm Beach coming off an exit ramp the car shuts off as I'm waiting on a green light. Radio and everything works but would not turn over. Called a tow truck, had to put the tranny in neutral by sticking a screw driver in a hole under the cup holders. A Few days later I got word from the dealership that the engine had seized. I bought it as is so you could imagine the stress I was in at this point. I've owned 7 BMWs all bought at this dealership so I had a close relationship with almost everyone. Fast fwd a couple months with no car ( actually they gave me a loaner for the first two wks until I had to return it) BMW approved a brand new engine for the car. This was an absolute blessing as I stated before it was bought as is no warranty and I didn't put any extended either. The dealer managers and district managers did everything they could for me and got BMW of NA to get me the new engine which I'm very grateful for. I'm blessed. The car didn't give a single sign of an issue. It was owned by a doctor and was bone stock with 49k miles when I bought it. Was not abused to my knowledge and carfax was squeaky clean so I felt confident in my purchase. Car is great now. About to do my first oil change since the new engine installed. Now here's the kicker, a buddy of mine with a 14 F10 m5 fully modded with meth, full bolt on and tune called me up a few wks ago after racing that his car had shut off and not turning over but had electrical power. Turned out his engine also seized. I'll find out what his mechanic stated was the issue exactly. For me the dealership didn't really give me much details when I asked what happened and I wasn't gonna be pushy because of the favor. For the m5, he's currently waiting on a engine replacement. Sadly it'll be with a used one. Just to share my experience this far.
Thanks for sharing your experience and so happy that you got what I expect as a good will engine replacement. That's outstanding!

I have to chuckle at the "it was owned by a doctor so I'm sure it was well taken care of" .... granted all the docs I know (including myself) who happen to own fun cars also autocross/track the crap out is them lol. Granted, they also take care of the maintenance etc, but they aren't babied by any means. I guess I'm throwing ha collectively under the bus, but food for thought

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #40
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yeah stock pads/rotors.

My only mods are a BPM sport tune (around 680 crank), michelin4s's, and suspension tweaks so more camber in rear, toe out in front. Motul RBF600 brake fluids, and BMC race air filter / charcoal delete. Oh and I have the Euro M TC coded in.

Thats it! I was debating if I want to get Dinan's anti roll bar or negative control arms (for camber adjustment in front), or the KW HAS springs to lower a bit, but at the end of the day, I was supremely happy w it's capability as is, so not sure I want to sink $$ into makign it more track capable.
Its just the mod-bug getting into my head every now and then !
Are you in NorCal? I've done thunderhill, Sonoma, and Laguna over the past 2 years but with different cars. I'm very interested in taking my GranCoupe out sometime. I don't plan on making it my track car and will probably only do one day with it, but want to see how it does....eyeballing Laguna in November, let me know!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #41
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience and so happy that you got what I expect as a good will engine replacement. That's outstanding!

I have to chuckle at the "it was owned by a doctor so I'm sure it was well taken care of" .... granted all the docs I know (including myself) who happen to own fun cars also autocross/track the crap out is them lol. Granted, they also take care of the maintenance etc, but they aren't babied by any means. I guess I'm throwing ha collectively under the bus, but food for thought
Lol a chuckled so hard at that. When my sales guy told me I was all in at that point. I'm thinking Doc, yea right what does he know about performance and abusing this lovely machine let's do this! 😅
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #42
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you in NorCal? I've done thunderhill, Sonoma, and Laguna over the past 2 years but with different cars. I'm very interested in taking my GranCoupe out sometime. I don't plan on making it my track car and will probably only do one day with it, but want to see how it does....eyeballing Laguna in November, let me know!
Yeah man, i'm in Folsom. I'm down, if i'm in the country.. Theres a few options with SpeedSF, including one in July2 for Laguna! Theres also SCAA tracknight inamerica and that lets you experience thunderhill for a 100 bucks (3 sessions) which is not bad at all. That was my first experience,and they're great.

I'm not gonna track too frequently with this car either, but 2 -3 times a year is about my mark.. I have more fun on bikes at the track! But yeah, let me know if you ever decide to. The M6 is supremely capable, even on a tight track like thunderhill west.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #43
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

So what are the warranties? Is it 4 year 50k bumper to bumper but drive train falls under something else?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #44
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol a chuckled so hard at that. When my sales guy told me I was all in at that point. I'm thinking Doc, yea right what does he know about performance and abusing this lovely machine let's do this!
I'm sure you're fine & don't mean to spook you, jus' sayin'. Like I said, all the guys I know who do track stuff at least take good care of the cars regarding maintenance and stuff. Come to think of it, most of us are some sort of surgical specialty. Non-surgeons seem to putter around the track in the novice groups from the handful I've seen. So bottom ljne, ask what kind of doctor they are. Haha.

Appreciate 0