BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
BirKleanDetailing335d
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Wagon

F12 f13 lowering springs

Any pics and advice on what springs to go for?

Thanks in advance

Nav
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

H&R P/N: 50476

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
H&R P/N: 50476

Did you change the factory Msport shocks as well? I heard that if you just swap out the factory springs to aftermarket ones and keep the factory shocks, that combo (aftermarket springs and OEM shocks) will wear out the factory shocks much faster (therefore, causing either handling issues or even worse yet...seeing the car bouncing like you see on some Civics and other Toyota's when they cut their springs). Do you or anyone else know if this is true or a myth?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack G. View Post
Did you change the factory Msport shocks as well? I heard that if you just swap out the factory springs to aftermarket ones and keep the factory shocks, that combo (aftermarket springs and OEM shocks) will wear out the factory shocks much faster (therefore, causing either handling issues or even worse yet...seeing the car bouncing like you see on some Civics and other Toyota's when they cut their springs). Do you or anyone else know if this is true or a myth?
That's a myth.. The springs only lower the front about 20mm and the rear 50mm if i remember correctly. It's not significant enough to affect the other components but does make a difference in the way the car sits and handles on the road. I don't think there is one person on this forum or any other BMW forums that I have seen that had an issue with the springs affecting the other suspension components on the car, where did you get this info from Zack G?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a myth.. The springs only lower the front about 20mm and the rear 50mm if i remember correctly. It's not significant enough to affect the other components but does make a difference in the way the car sits and handles on the road. I don't think there is one person on this forum or any other BMW forums that I have seen that had an issue with the springs affecting the other suspension components on the car, where did you get this info from Zack G?
I see. I was considering getting springs, but was concerned about wearing out my factory Msport shocks fast, so I never really bothered looking into springs for this reason. I've heard a few people at meets mention that it would but didn't know if they knew what they were talking about or not. I am assuming they didn't.

Do H&R springs come in both sport & race versions to get different drops? Looks like you got a nice drop from your H&R's. I've had Eibach race springs before on an E39 530i and the Eibach's on that car gave it a raked effect (dropped a lot in front but not so much in rear). Did your rear seats need to be removed to install the H&R's? I remember that when I had my E39 530i...they had to remove my rear seats to put in the Eibach springs and I nearly had a heart attack seeing the trunk and back seats taken apart. Should have never walked to the back of the shop

I guess I am more careful with this car as to what I do to it because its bought and not leased. I wouldn't want to do coilovers because I have no intention on tracking this car so that would be a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. I was considering getting springs, but was concerned about wearing out my factory Msport shocks fast, so I never really bothered looking into springs for this reason. I've heard a few people at meets mention that it would but didn't know if they knew what they were talking about or not. I am assuming they didn't.

Do H&R springs come in both sport & race versions to get different drops? Looks like you got a nice drop from your H&R's. I've had Eibach race springs before on an E39 530i and the Eibach's on that car gave it a raked effect (dropped a lot in front but not so much in rear). Did your rear seats need to be removed to install the H&R's? I remember that when I had my E39 530i...they had to remove my rear seats to put in the Eibach springs and I nearly had a heart attack seeing the trunk and back seats taken apart. Should have never walked to the back of the shop

I guess I am more careful with this car as to what I do to it because its bought and not leased. I wouldn't want to do coilovers because I have no intention on tracking this car so that would be a waste of money.
Yeah those people had no clue as to what they were talking about. H&R, Eibach, etc. sell millions of sets of springs per year with great success and if they didn't there would be complaints all over the boards. There is only one part number that i listed in the 2nd post that fits the coupe from H&R and it is a very slight drop, but it is noticeable. Eibach doesn't really lower the car and you can barely feel a difference IMO. H&R is and has always been the go to for BMW springs. It was an easy 2 hour straight forward install and the seats were not removed, everything was done from under the car and should not exceed $250-300 for the install. Also if you want better handling without changing the springs, look into Dinan for the Shockware, I heard that also makes a significant change in handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah those people had no clue as to what they were talking about. H&R, Eibach, etc. sell millions of sets of springs per year with great success and if they didn't there would be complaints all over the boards. There is only one part number that i listed in the 2nd post that fits the coupe from H&R and it is a very slight drop, but it is noticeable. Eibach doesn't really lower the car and you can barely feel a difference IMO. H&R is and has always been the go to for BMW springs. It was an easy 2 hour straight forward install and the seats were not removed, everything was done from under the car and should not exceed $250-300 for the install. Also if you want better handling without changing the springs, look into Dinan for the Shockware, I heard that also makes a significant change in handling.
Got it...thanks for this. So your 100% positive that just changing up to the H&R's will in no way negatively impact the life of factory Msport shocks long term, correct? Would be nice to have the car sit a bit lower and get rid of that wheel gap with factory 373M's. The Dinan Shockware sounds nice, but my car handles great now, it just has a bit of a wheel/fender gap that could be less and would be great to have a better stance.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it...thanks for this. So your 100% positive that just changing up to the H&R's will in no way negatively impact the life of factory Msport shocks long term, correct? Would be nice to have the car sit a bit lower and get rid of that wheel gap with factory 373M's. The Dinan Shockware sounds nice, but my car handles great now, it just has a bit of a wheel/fender gap that could be less and would be great to have a better stance.
I'm not a 100% on anything in this life, but you will have to change out your suspension after let's say 75-80k miles on the car, Springs are not going to shorten that life and if they did it would not be by anything significant. Shocks take some of the hardest beatings from the road so no one should expect them to last 100k miles, especially on a car that weighs in at over 4k lbs, and by then most of the time they are blown and most people don't know it until they get new ones. You'll be more than happy with the H&R's!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0