BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black F13 Vert

brakes brakes brakes

What are you folks doing to get rid of the loud brakes? I couldn't stand it anymore and called my service department two weeks ago. They took the brakes off and cleaned them and it went away but it is back..... It is quite annoying grrrrrrr
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

So far I only get slight noise with the brakes on my M6. My R8's brakes would squeal like a pig in cold weather. Same deal, had the dealer taper the pad edges and clean them... problem would go away for a little while but come right back.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoyejordan
What are you folks doing to get rid of the loud brakes? I couldn't stand it anymore and called my service department two weeks ago. They took the brakes off and cleaned them and it went away but it is back..... It is quite annoying grrrrrrr
Seriously ??? People complained to BMW for years to put real brakes in their M cars , now they have . Six piston calipers , floating rotors and pads that can actually take some abuse . These are real track quality pieces , and they ARE noisy , esp when cold . If it bothers you so much change out the pads to quiet low dust ceramic ones and lose the performance or buy a 550 . You can't have both .....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Seriously ??? People complained to BMW for years to put real brakes in their M cars , now they have . Six piston calipers , floating rotors and pads that can actually take some abuse . These are real track quality pieces , and they ARE noisy , esp when cold . If it bothers you so much change out the pads to quiet low dust ceramic ones and lose the performance or buy a 550 . You can't have both .....
To be fair, not all high performance brakes are noisy when cold. The StopTech brakes that came standard on my Viper ACR were excellent on track and never made a sound on the street. The CCB's on my ZR1 were also fairly quiet. But yes, I agree that noise is normal for cold high performance brakes.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Easy there mate buy a 550 really?... I had the Aston Martin V8 Vantage before and the brakes weren't noisy. I also drove the previous generation M5 and M6 on the track several times and off track.. don't remember them making noise. The service bloke suggested having the brakes sprayed with water to get rid of some of the dust next time I am at the car wash... that was today we will see if that helps any
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
To be fair, not all high performance brakes are noisy when cold. The StopTech brakes that came standard on my Viper ACR were excellent on track and never made a sound on the street. The CCB's on my ZR1 were also fairly quiet. But yes, I agree that noise is normal for cold high performance brakes.
Well said...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoyejordan
Quote:
Easy there mate buy a 550 really?... I had the Aston Martin V8 Vantage before and the brakes weren't noisy. I also drove the previous generation M5 and M6 on the track several times and off track.. don't remember them making noise. The service bloke suggested having the brakes sprayed with water to get rid of some of the dust next time I am at the car wash... that was today we will see if that helps any
These brakes and esp the pads are much more aggressive than the previous E60 M6 , and the Aston . The stop techs come with pretty street oriented pads as well . To be honest it's the pads more than anything . Just switch . And strangely enough my carbon ceramics on my CP M6 are quiet as well . The new gen CC brakes have come a long way . My performance friction BBK with PFC 08 pads on my Z4M track car on the other hand .... Sounds like a bus is comings hen cold lol . Sorry for the aggressive response , just dealing with too many stupid people lately and overreacted.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Lovegreatcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 convertible

You haven't dealt with me yet. Wait til you get a feel for how stupid I am!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep

Quote:
These brakes and esp the pads are much more aggressive than the previous E60 M6 , and the Aston . The stop techs come with pretty street oriented pads as well . To be honest it's the pads more than anything . Just switch . And strangely enough my carbon ceramics on my CP M6 are quiet as well . The new gen CC brakes have come a long way . My performance friction BBK with PFC 08 pads on my Z4M track car on the other hand .... Sounds like a bus is comings hen cold lol . Sorry for the aggressive response , just dealing with too many stupid people lately and overreacted.
No worries mate... I appreciate your honesty and detailed feedback.
Appreciate 0