BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It confirms that the convertible comes first!
The convertible might just take longer to produce. Likely because its being sent to a different factory for the convertible top.

All engines should be turbos! Even a small one will help you get more power with a smaller motor and with more efficiency. Its a great trend.

So X3 will start sales in US early next year... when's the X1 coming and with what engines!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Universal_Magnetic
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

they are making an xi version of the 6 series?!
      05-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayparry View Post
So X3 will start sales in US early next year... when's the X1 coming and with what engines!
As far as I've been able to glean from BMW blogs and other automotive news sources, the X1 is due here next year. Probably late next year I'd say, so figure about one year after the X3 launch.

As for engines, like I said above, rumors seem to be converging on the X1 being the launch vehicle for the new turbo 4. Nothing is firm, but that seems like a good fit since the engine is known to be ready mid-next year. In theory though, there is a small possibility that the X1 could launch with the N52 instead and the turbo 4 cylinder would then debut in the F30 3 series sedan (and F31 3 series wagon - but we probably won't get that in North America). So it's one of those two engines at least. Then the question is, do they put the N55 in the X1 as well? I somewhat doubt that will happen since it would leave the big-brother X3 with no unique powertrain to have as a selling point. So I see it with just one engine. That's merely my opinion though. And who knows, they could do an uplevel X1 35si with the N55.

The other big X1 question: does the US get a RWD model? It would be great if true, but I have my doubts.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #26
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

The other big X1 question: does the US get a RWD model? It would be great if true, but I have my doubts.
what about a rwd x3 in the u.s.?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #27
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can't wait for BMW M6 xDrive GranCoupé Competition Edition.....Limited.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #28
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcolombo View Post
Any chance there will be a diesel for the X3? I think that about a third of the X5's currently sold are diesels; the diesel just makes so much sense in an SUV-type vehicle . . . (not that they don't make sense in passenger cars, but they make even more sense for SUV's).

John C.
^ I believe there has always been a diesel x3, just not available in the US...

I hope they send them over eventually.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #29
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
True enough ALPINE, but as your list reveals, only the N52 is left (in the North America, anyway) for non-M vehicles. However, we all know that the turbo 4-banger is coming next year (highly rumored to go to the X1 first) and with a predicted output in the mid-200hp range, the writing is on the wall for the N52. In addition, the S65 will be the only NA M engine left after the M6 is gone. I am actually somewhat curious to see how fast the new turbo-4 replaces the N52 throughout the lineup. If BMW is aggressive about it, an S65 powered E92 or E93 (E90 will be gone) M3 could be the final naturally aspirated BMW off the assembly line for the forseeable future, well at least for North American production anyway. It also depends of course on the timing of the F2x 1 series (since they almost surely won't bother with the turbo 4 for the soon-to-be-replaces E8x 1 series).

Either way though the end of an era is upon us. Farewell to the naturally aspirated BMW.
Let's cry together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #30
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
^ I believe there has always been a diesel x3, just not available in the US...

I hope they send them over eventually.
According to scott27 over at the **************.com, yes, ....
..a diesel X3 will be available in the U.S. "at a period after launch".
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #31
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
As far as I've been able to glean from BMW blogs and other automotive news sources, the X1 is due here next year. Probably late next year I'd say, so figure about one year after the X3 launch.

As for engines, like I said above, rumors seem to be converging on the X1 being the launch vehicle for the new turbo 4. Nothing is firm, but that seems like a good fit since the engine is known to be ready mid-next year. In theory though, there is a small possibility that the X1 could launch with the N52 instead and the turbo 4 cylinder would then debut in the F30 3 series sedan (and F31 3 series wagon - but we probably won't get that in North America). So it's one of those two engines at least. Then the question is, do they put the N55 in the X1 as well? I somewhat doubt that will happen since it would leave the big-brother X3 with no unique powertrain to have as a selling point. So I see it with just one engine. That's merely my opinion though. And who knows, they could do an uplevel X1 35si with the N55.

The X1 xDrive23d with the 2.0L twin turbo diesel makes the most sense IMO. Gave it a test drive last week and you guys are seriously missing out if it's not brought over there. Amazing midrange torque delivery and more than adequate power. I do not understand why BMWNA find 4cyl diesels such a taboo. I would take it over the I6 equipped model any day.

They could even use it as a marketing tool - the first 'sporty' 2.0L diesel that gives excellent fuel economy.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
what about a rwd x3 in the u.s.?
I don't think there will be a RWD X3 anywhere. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #33
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
I don't think there will be a RWD X3 anywhere. I could be wrong though.
thx!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #34
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayparry View Post
The convertible might just take longer to produce. Likely because its being sent to a different factory for the convertible top.
Both cars will be produced at the same factory (Dingolfing). As to the top, it's the other way round, the roof is getting assembled at the factory by the supplier.

Quote:
As for engines, like I said above, rumors seem to be converging on the X1 being the launch vehicle for the new turbo 4.
Isn't there a BMW rule that new models don't get new engines in the US?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Isn't there a BMW rule that new models don't get new engines in the US?
Not sure but I doubt there is a hard and fast rule south.

Didn't the E90 launch back in early 2005 with the brand new N52? I'm pretty sure that was the first application of that engine, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #36
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

x3 35i is exactly what it needed. I always liked it because its small for an suv and handles nice, but it just needed some more 'pop' to it power wise. Thats going to be a nice vehicle
Appreciate 0