BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Arrow Guess I'm getting Old 650i- M6- 640 How do you like yoru 650i or 640i Convertible?

Test drove the M6 for about 30 minutes and found that it has way more power than I need and although very good, it's DCT Trans felt as though it would be difficult to drive normal day to day. I say this because when the stoplight turned Green, I stepped on gas pedal and even though I kept the gas pedal at one position the car felt as if it was engaging progressively more and more grip for about 5 seconds, until it griped totally and would stay at the same speed. So I tried to take off quickly, as if I was late to an appointment, and it chirped the tires, unlike an auto that would just put you out in front of the traffic. The power is not as linear or as predictable as an Automatic.

For me, the M6 is just too much and feels that it requires too much work to drive it comfortably and smoothly at my 49 yrs of age. Not impossible, but one really has to pay attention whereas on the auto, I just have to press on the gas and go.\\\

I immediately test drove the 650i and it was more relaxed, and didn't require so much of my attention to drive around town and on Freeway traffic. It is smooth and although I didn't like the run-flats, I can change them out at some point.

The ride is nice and since it was a 2012 650i it had Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) 2,000.00 and Adaptive Drive, and it really cornered great! it felt like while turning the car was rotating around the center of the car. If felt light and nimble. It was also the X-drive 650i, so I'm not sure which aspect of the Adaptive drive, Active Roll Stabilization or X-drive or All three that made it handle so well in the turns, but it was great. In 2013 the options for Adaptive drive, are a little different, So it's a little more confusing. Has anyone had any experiences with the Adaptive Drive or Active roll stabilization that would help shed some light?

I am looking forward to test driving the 640i Convertible M-sport, and I hope I like it because I really like getting 25 mpg avg. per gallon.

Does anyone have any short stories about how the 640i or 650i convertible makes you happy?

Lastly, Would the consensus be in getting the 650i or even the 640i Convertible in San Marino Blue, A color my wife loves, be like I'm trying to pose or copy the M6, or would it be more Individual...?
Attached Images

12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I seriously considered the M6 before pulling the trigger on my 650i, and like you I felt that the M6 was simply too much car for me.

I didn't need the extra HP/torque, since the ponies in the 650 are probably more than I'll ever really need, or use. And while I would've preferred the DCT over the 8sp, unless I was tracking the car, I don't think I would've ever really maximized the DCT -- and who really tracks an M6???

Don't have Adaptive Drive, so cannot comment on it. But like you I think the ride on the F12 is just right, and given the different modes (Sport+ to Comfort+) it fits my lifestyle just fine. It gives me the best of both worlds.

And, now, if I want to relive my track days, I can probably use the 20k that I saved from not buying the M6 on a used spec Miata ...

Never liked convertibles, so the F13 was never a consideration.

So, to answer your questions, yes, the 650 makes me very very happy. I now have this annoying habit of turning back and looking at the car every time I park her ... just to get one more glance at its sensual lines.

(And if you want to go for the SM Blue, go for it.)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

No question about the color. Its one of my personal favorites.

Both engines are great, and I have driven both (although not in a 6 series). I'd say go with the one that you enjoy more. You might find that once you get comfortable with the level of power in the car, you want more. So that being said, I'd recommend the 650i.
Appreciate 0