BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-13-2022, 06:15 AM   #1
Bimmer215
Registered
Rep
Drives: NA

Exclamation Question on 650 purchase!

Im looking at buying a 2013 650 xDrive with 40k miles for daily driver

I was always told that the bmw V8 engines are known for smoking is this true? I seen a few 7 series have that issue on the road, not sure if the 650 have similar problems or is it certain years that have it?

Is the 640 more reliable for daily?

Im open for any answers or suggestions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:14 AM   #2
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

I went with a 640 over the 650 because mine is a daily driver and I wanted reasonable gas mileage. Turbo charged 6 cylinder is enough power for me.
I also have experience with the n55 6 cylinder engines since I previously owned a 535.

Some of the older v8's are prone to issues. The "smoking" engine you're referencing may be due to the plastic alve cover that leaks oil on top of the turbo heat shields when it starts to warps. That happens in the 6 cylinders too, so not a "v8" exclusive issue.

Some members on here for sure can share their experience, but at the end of the day, preventative maintenance and extended warranty plan is key.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer215 View Post

I was always told that the bmw V8 engines are known for smoking is this true? I seen a few 7 series have that issue on the road, not sure if the 650 have similar problems or is it certain years that have it?

I daily a 2015 650 convertible 365 days a year. Some N63 engines use some oil, but most do not. There are people who report adding at least one quart between oil changes. But most don't, and I don't. Mine uses essentially no oil. If I were you, I'd start it from dead cold - make sure nobody started it that day to move it outside for you or whatever - open the hood and feel the engine - then start it and go back and look at the tail pipes. If anything more than water vapor is coming out - any significant white smoke, then pass on that one. But don't just assume "these cars burn oil" and pass on them altogether. That would be a gross oversimplification.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

As for a warranty, that's totally based on how risk averse you are. I never buy them on anything and have never regretted it, and have a large reserve of unspent cash as a result. I have owned my car for over four years, and had I bought a warranty the covered repairs to date would be exactly $0. I do all fluids and filters myself, but the car has not had a single repair of any kind since the CPO warranty expired in June 2019.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I agree and have had the same experience.

In a gambling analogy, in the long run it's always better to be the "house" than the player if you are dealing with dollar amounts that are not lifestyle changing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer215 View Post

I don't 'daily' my 650 rather its more a weekend or holiday cruiser. I daily a Range Rover Supercharged ... so while the current price of fuel is a bit crazy and unusual... it was not a factor in me purchasing my 650. If fuel costs are a factor perhaps consider the 640. At any rate the 650 isn't that bad and on motorway work its actually fairly reasonable given the performance.
I would always say go for the best you can afford and if that's a 650 then go for it. They are absolutely awesome and you will never what for more power. Its very hard for any of us to say with certainty you will be 'fine' as it really depends on the car you choose. I certainly would take the advice given to you by some very knowledgeable members here already. Do the basic checks and look for smoke on start up from cold etc etc and get a PPI. The N63TU version of our V8s is generally regarded as the 'better' motor produced from 2012 onwards. The earlier N63 V8s were more prone to valve stem seals leaking.... from what I read.
My 650 has not noticeably used any oil in between its annual services and never missed a beat generally. Yes of course i get it regularly serviced and not much has ever worried me with it frankly.
I would steer clear of cars that have been through lots of owners and have been 'heavily modified' and or had 'upgrades' 'chipped' etc etc i think you are just asking for trouble here....
Look for a car that's been loved and perhaps a second or 3rd car for someone as mine was.
good luck
Appreciate 1