BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

F-Type R

I test drove a Jaguar F-Type R yesterday. It’s one of the cars on my “next car” list. Bottom line, it’s a sports car, clearly targeting Corvettes and Carreras rather than the 6 series coupe which is more of a GT, IMO. Even so, it does exude a bit more luxury in terms of materials and amenities then some of the competition. Then again it all depends on how any of these cars are optioned-out.

Aesthetically, the car is gorgeous - especially the exterior. Of course beauty is subjective, so this is my opinion. The car I drove was black on black on black on black (you get the idea); optioned with the black pack it had black wheels and trim – kind of the Darth Vader look. Not the colors I would choose, but the shape of the body is seductive in any hue. During my drive one guy chased me down just to get a closer look. After a few seconds I got tired of him pacing alongside me, so I nailed it. Never saw him again.

The interior, while not as luxurious or striking as the 6er, is at once purposeful and pleasing. I felt right at home, although it’s certainly a tighter fit with a much narrower cabin and a bulkhead behind the front seats. The windshield header and seating position are such that the sun visor is only about three inches high, and it doesn’t pivot to the door. The car is a true two seater so there’s no place to “throw” anything when you jump in the car, other than the passenger seat. Speaking of space, there isn’t much under the hatch either. There’s a removable hard cargo cover that lifts with the hatch, but in or out you’re not making a Costco run in this baby. I do believe you could get a bag of clubs in there, but not if it’s the size of Al Czervik’s. A powered hatch is available, but the one I drove was not so equipped.

Dynamically the car is amazing – it is a rocket. The instant response of a supercharged V8 is hard to beat. This thing has gobs of instantaneous torque at any RPM and pulls hard to redline. The exhaust note is pure music in normal mode turning into an AC/DC concert when you open it up with either the console switch or by putting the car in sport mode. It’s actually too loud for long drives in the open mode as the sound resonates throughout the cabin.

The F-Type is equipped with the same basic ZF 8 speed slush box used by BMW, which I am sure is tuned to Jag’s specifications. The tranny can be manually controlled via the stick (which is a lot like BMW’s) or machined aluminum paddles on the steering wheel. Like the 6, the F-Type has multiple driving modes accessed with a toggle switch on the console which adjusts throttle, steering, suspension, shifting, etc. Each function in Sport mode is independently programmable. The steering has better feel and is more direct than the 6, the ride is relatively comfortable in the normal setting and the brakes feel firm with great pedal modulation. It’s got big fat Pirellis that stick like glue to the pavement, although it’s easy to hang the tail out whenever you want. This is especially true on wet pavement which I learned during the second half of my test drive when it started pouring.

I have zero qualms about the car’s performance in any category, but somehow it is less livable as a daily driver than the 6 series – both in terms of practicality and comfort. I draw this conclusion in comparison to my 650i; I cannot comment on the M6 (which is also on my list). I can say that you are getting Jaguar’s top performer for non-M money. The ‘R’ starts at $100k and even with most options is still around $110k. So it’s a lot of bang for the buck when compared to an M6, but then again so is the Corvette.

While I haven’t removed the F-Type R from my list, it has lost a few points. I am a one car guy (not including my wife’s) and I’m not sure I could make it work year round.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Great write up. I haven't test drove the Jag F-Type R and probably won't b/c I'm way too tall for that car. However, I ran into one on the street two days ago in Northern VA. It was white with ceramic brakes and sexy as hell. It was in front of me at a light. That thing jumped off the line when the light turned green and I didn't even try to keep up with it. It is super quick. However, the driver slowed down and I pulled along side. I looked over and there's this blond superstar! I gave her a thumbs up and told her "I guess that it's good to be bad" and she said "Yes it is."
      07-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Nice write up!
I too test drove the Jag (coupe) the other day. It's a nice car with great handling. The traction control has a very fast response time and according to the video (the first one) the ECU perform 500 calculations per second to correct the traction (6:25). As far as transmission the ZF8 is a very fast automatic transmission with no doubt but comparing to BMW M-DCT, it's slower and does not give that feeling if you care. Overal it's a nice car but not comparable to 6 er, then in comparison with 911 you need to take more time

Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Need4Speed_Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5, F10 M5, F80 M3

I drove an F-type not to long ago and really liked many aspects of the car (especially the exhaust ). One thing I could not get over was the transmission which was horrible in my honest opinion. I have to say it is beautiful to look at though.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Nice write up!
I too test drove the Jag (coupe) the other day. It's a nice car with great handling. The traction control has a very fast response time and according to the video (the first one) the ECU perform 500 calculations per second to correct the traction (6:25). As far as transmission the ZF8 is a very fast automatic transmission with no doubt but comparing to BMW M-DCT, it's slower and does not give that feeling if you care. Overal it's a nice car but not comparable to 6 er, then in comparison with 911 you need to take more time

I don't really think the F Type compares to the 911, more like the Cayman. The 911 has some space.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I would buy 2. 1 for the driveway and 1 for the shop. I haven't met anyone who own the F-Type long enough to comment on the reliability, but I have many friends who owned recent Jags. They really live up to reputation of how much time they spend in the shop. Let's hope the F-Type drivetrain are built by a different set of people with different appreciation for quality.

On the flip side. I drove the Corvette StingRay 3LT with Z51 Performance Package. It is a beast, responsive and great around the corners. The new interior is luxurious and driver focused, unlike the older models. Dollar for dollar, I would add the StingRay to your list if a 2 seater is practical for you. I bet you can get the Z06 coming out for the same price as a fully loaded V6 F-Type.

The only bad thing about a Vette is, everyone and their mom has one. You would have to add a few major things to make your Vette stands out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The only bad thing about a Vette is, everyone and their mom has one. You would have to add a few major things to make your Vette stands out.
This is especially true around where I live. Almost as common as a Ford Fusion.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
This is especially true around where I live. Almost as common as a Ford Fusion.
For the price for the performance you gain can you blame the new Stingray owners? I too almost pulled that trigger too but wanted something a bit more special so I got a Cayman S. But would I kick one (Vette or F1 Type R) out of my driveway? NOPE! LOL
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Thank you Bönz for a very well done write up.
Did you happen to notice the tires ( or tyres in Jag speak)?
Not RFTs are they? So they can cram a spare somewhere in that lovely machine?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Tires were P Zeros if memory serves. Definitely not RFs. I didn't look to see if there was a spare or compressor kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
Vinsanity12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Tires were P Zeros if memory serves. Definitely not RFs. I didn't look to see if there was a spare or compressor kit.
I have to agree with the OP. Currently in an F10 M5 and have driven the M6 with comp pack and CCB at the 2 day M school.

Looking for my next lease. Test drove the M4 and came away unexcited. It is a great car but need a V8 with some noise for my taste. I had a deposit down on the new Merc C63s but decided to try the Ftype R and it blew me away.

It is just a ton of fun to drive. Bonz pretty much summed it up but I have a pretty good deal in place on a lease for a 2015 F type R so I will probably finalize this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity12 View Post
I have to agree with the OP. Currently in an F10 M5 and have driven the M6 with comp pack and CCB at the 2 day M school.

Looking for my next lease. Test drove the M4 and came away unexcited. It is a great car but need a V8 with some noise for my taste. I had a deposit down on the new Merc C63s but decided to try the Ftype R and it blew me away.

It is just a ton of fun to drive. Bonz pretty much summed it up but I have a pretty good deal in place on a lease for a 2015 F type R so I will probably finalize this weekend.
Would you mind sharing what kind of deal after it goes through? I would be curious to know what they are leasing the Type R coupe for..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Does it have the same outdated infotainment tech as the range rover?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity12 View Post

I'm not sure if you are RWD or AWD guy, but if you prefer AWD, then the 2016 F Type-R is AWD. You may want to test drive it too...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Just picked up an F-Type R Coupe yesterday, and let me tell you: this car is absolutely nuts. White on red.
Attached Images

04-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #16
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRbibo View Post
Just picked up an F-Type R Coupe yesterday, and let me tell you: this car is absolutely nuts. White on red.
Umm... you didn't pass a Silverstone M6GC on I-5 over Siskiyou Summit near the OR border today, did you? It was the first F-type I have seen in the wild, and it was white. It was a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #17
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
Umm... you didn't pass a Silverstone M6GC on I-5 over Siskiyou Summit near the OR border today, did you? It was the first F-type I have seen in the wild, and it was white. It was a beautiful car.
Nope, wasn't me, I'm in Cali!
      04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #18
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRbibo View Post
Nope, wasn't me, I'm in Cali!
More pics please. And tell us more about really owning one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #19
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

What are they going for on the leases, anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
What are they going for on the leases, anyone know?
I had a friend look at an r in September and they had a 48% residual on 36 month for 15k.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I had a friend look at an r in September and they had a 48% residual on 36 month for 15k.
Thats not bad.. I was just wondering what the monthly payment is with how much down. I know the regular F is going for around $700 with a couple grand down so I figure the R is probably around $1100 with the same amount down.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
Vinsanity12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Would you mind sharing what kind of deal after it goes through? I would be curious to know what they are leasing the Type R coupe for..

Just finalized my deal for 12k miles a year for a 2015. After some back and forth and walking out I got 39 months at $1202 per month. With 3k up front (including 1202 for the first payment) Had about 7k in options so the MSRP was 106k. They ended up bringing the cap cost down to about 90k to make my numbers work.

Mine looks just like the white one above but I went with the beige interior.

You won't get nearly as much of on an all wheel drive 2016 model right now. If your dealer has a few sitting on the lot you should be able to get 12-15k off in my opinion.
Appreciate 0