BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

Initial review of my new F13 M6 Coupe...

I've been reading as many reviews of the F13 M6 coupe as possible since it came out. I never found one that really compared it accurately to the E92 M3 which was what I was desperate for.

I finally got hold of mine last week from Shelly BMW. Derek Dicker is the man, hands down the best CA I have ever had. Honestly can't imagine a better dude to buy a car from.

Here are my initial thoughts, I'll update once I get the break in service done.

First off this is one hell of an incredible looking car. Unbelievable. In person it's sooo muscular and imposing. Bad ass. I went light on the packages, I wasn't into massage and ventilated seats or soft close doors… but I regretted not getting the LED headlights but in person I don't miss 'em at all.
The wheels look sick, huge and meaty. Love the enormous front calipers. They are HUGE!

A lot has been written about the engine sound, coming from the screaming E92 V8 I was expecting to be underwhelmed after all the bad press but in the flesh this engine sound incredibly menacing and mean. There's a basey rumble that is ever present, even with the windows shut. It just sounds plain dangerous and I haven't even been able to open it up much yet. Very impressed with this so far. It's a different beast than a NA engine but different doesn't mean worse at all.

Chassis. This car feels rock sold, far better than the E92 M3. Extremely impressed with how it solidly rides bumps. In sport plus the suspension very stiff but doesn't feel like it's going to come apart on big bumps.

Steering. Again early reviews lead me to expect light feeling steering compared to the E92 M3. Couldn't be more wrong. In sport plus I'd say the steering is heavier.
Only negative so far for me is you really have to muscle the car to turn in sharply. I'm sure this will be fine once I get used to it.
Otherwise not far off the M3's direct response.

Performance. Still in the break in but there are times when I get the turbos are spooled up and I can really feel what this car is capable of. Having said that when the turbo's aren't spooled up it's not as quick as I'd been lead to believe.
The 500+lbs of torque at 1500rpm isn't quite as potent as it sounds but I attribute that to needing to learn how to drive a heavily turbo charged car. I imagine that post break in, when I can keep the car in higher rev ranges the turbos will be ready to rock more than they are now?

Brakes. Amazing, so much better than the M3, really feel like they are biting down, hard.

M-DCT. Good news, still has full rev matching with throttle blips. I was concerned the different nature of the engine would remove this.
Shift changes are not as brutal as the M3 on the fastest setting. Definitely bummed about this but again haven't shifted in real anger yet. 3 speeds is way too little. Should have had 1 more extreme setting.

Weight. Don't really notice it much yet but the car feels very big in terms of size. Takes getting used to for sure. Easy parking spots now need some brain power to navigate. Again just getting used to it so no big deal. Amazing how much difference 4'' more width and 11'' more length makes vs the M3...

Interior. In a word amazing. Everything is a joy to behold. Yes it's the old Nav but there are a bunch of great improvements vs my old M3. I'm a techie and I really am not bummed about not having the new version after seeing how well this 'old' version is implemented.
The seats are great. I'm 6'7'' and relatively wide but weirdly I can't clamp myself in with the side bolsters, they don't extend in very far. Other than that the seats are great and I've got even got contrast stitching without full leather!
The steering wheel is again, incredible, so solidly made and nicely put to gather.

One negative point is the the center console really should be merino leather like the seats, M3 had this. Not terrible but would've been nice.

Extremely impressed with the fit and finish. The doors are BIG but they feel amazingly light yet solid.

So you can probably tell that I'm big time impressed with this beast. Can't wait to hit 1200 miles and remove the restrictions. I have a feeling that they DO limit hp pre break in….
So compared to an M3; way more of an imposing car, feels more dangerous and far more luxuriously appointed in a good sporty way, not in Merc old man way.
I can't compare performance yet as still enduring break in but will update asap.

Here are some pics, was rushing so not the best...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Nicely done.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Congratulations! Nice review. I agree with most everything. Once you are past the breakin, you will be very pleased with the performance. Setup M2 to unlimited, i.e remove all nannytech. Then find some open space like an abandoned airfield. Then crush it. The exhaust opens up. The torque and power are brutal. It is definitely not an M3, so don't even bother to compare. They are not in the same species. This car is a beast. It will get away from you quickly. You might want to set M1 to all sport modes, MDM and max the drivelogic setting. This is good practice setting.

Don't miss the LED lights. They look awesome but you need to have high beams for them to work well. This will likely be upgraded. They are weak. You projector xenons are superior lighting wise.

While the power is supposed to be on tap from 1500-7000, 3000-6000 seems to be where you want to keep the revs to experience the brutality. Yes there is turbo lag no matter what they claim. However, it is easily minimized with drive optimization.

Great pics. Mine is black sapphire/silverstone full merino leather/20" wheels.
The car is very menacing in black. Enjoy. Let us know what you think after the breakin.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
Rep
Drives: Frozen white m5/Fire orange m3

Wow no way hahahah. I saw you when you were picking up your delivery. I'm trying to get a hold of the alpine white one they have in the showroom right now
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep

woah, small world... Good luck dude, that one looked sweet!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Congratulations! Nice review. I agree with most everything. Once you are past the breakin, you will be very pleased with the performance. Setup M2 to unlimited, i.e remove all nannytech. Then find some open space like an abandoned airfield. Then crush it. The exhaust opens up. The torque and power are brutal. It is definitely not an M3, so don't even bother to compare. They are not in the same species. This car is a beast. It will get away from you quickly. You might want to set M1 to all sport modes, MDM and max the drivelogic setting. This is good practice setting.

Don't miss the LED lights. They look awesome but you need to have high beams for them to work well. This will likely be upgraded. They are weak. You projector xenons are superior lighting wise.

While the power is supposed to be on tap from 1500-7000, 3000-6000 seems to be where you want to keep the revs to experience the brutality. Yes there is turbo lag no matter what they claim. However, it is easily minimized with drive optimization.

Great pics. Mine is black sapphire/silverstone full merino leather/20" wheels.
The car is very menacing in black. Enjoy. Let us know what you think after the breakin.
Only reason I compared it to the M3 was as a bench mark. Didn't want to go backwards and there was a bunch to like about that car!
Already got my M2 set up sport plus across the board but TC on. I'm breaking it in aggressively but mostly within guidelines. Mostly...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Nice. The hardest part of taking ownership, trying to keep this monster around 105 when it's just warming up in the break in period...
      11-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8
woah, small world... Good luck dude, that one looked sweet!
Haha thanks! I just talked to joe at Shelly and I'll be going down to pick it up Wednesday hopefully. I like your ride though. That black looks sick!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: the Ring

congrats, car looks great and nice review too!

Have fun
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
UCFJWH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersGonHateSMH View Post
Haha thanks! I just talked to joe at Shelly and I'll be going down to pick it up Wednesday hopefully. I like your ride though. That black looks sick!
I have the Alpine and with respect to others, there is no sexier color. What interior is the one they have?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

very nice car and write up

looks like the dealer forgot to take the blue film protective covering off the dead pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFJWH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersGonHateSMH View Post
I have the Alpine and with respect to others, there is no sexier color. What interior is the one they have?
Black interior with carbon fiber trim. It's Going to look sooo bad ass with a dark tint haha
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
wlin
少校
Rep
Drives: 21' 982, 20' G16, 18' F83

Garage List
Thumbs up Great review

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
I've been reading as many reviews of the F13 M6 coupe as possible since it came out. I never found one that really compared it accurately to the E92 M3 which was what I was desperate for.

I finally got hold of mine last week from Shelly BMW. Derek Dicker is the man, hands down the best CA I have ever had. Honestly can't imagine a better dude to buy a car from.

Here are my initial thoughts, I'll update once I get the break in service done.

First off this is one hell of an incredible looking car. Unbelievable. In person it's sooo muscular and imposing. Bad ass. I went light on the packages, I wasn't into massage and ventilated seats or soft close doors… but I regretted not getting the LED headlights but in person I don't miss 'em at all.
The wheels look sick, huge and meaty. Love the enormous front calipers. They are HUGE!

A lot has been written about the engine sound, coming from the screaming E92 V8 I was expecting to be underwhelmed after all the bad press but in the flesh this engine sound incredibly menacing and mean. There's a basey rumble that is ever present, even with the windows shut. It just sounds plain dangerous and I haven't even been able to open it up much yet. Very impressed with this so far. It's a different beast than a NA engine but different doesn't mean worse at all.

Chassis. This car feels rock sold, far better than the E92 M3. Extremely impressed with how it solidly rides bumps. In sport plus the suspension very stiff but doesn't feel like it's going to come apart on big bumps.

Steering. Again early reviews lead me to expect light feeling steering compared to the E92 M3. Couldn't be more wrong. In sport plus I'd say the steering is heavier.
Only negative so far for me is you really have to muscle the car to turn in sharply. I'm sure this will be fine once I get used to it.
Otherwise not far off the M3's direct response.

Performance. Still in the break in but there are times when I get the turbos are spooled up and I can really feel what this car is capable of. Having said that when the turbo's aren't spooled up it's not as quick as I'd been lead to believe.
The 500+lbs of torque at 1500rpm isn't quite as potent as it sounds but I attribute that to needing to learn how to drive a heavily turbo charged car. I imagine that post break in, when I can keep the car in higher rev ranges the turbos will be ready to rock more than they are now?

Brakes. Amazing, so much better than the M3, really feel like they are biting down, hard.

M-DCT. Good news, still has full rev matching with throttle blips. I was concerned the different nature of the engine would remove this.
Shift changes are not as brutal as the M3 on the fastest setting. Definitely bummed about this but again haven't shifted in real anger yet. 3 speeds is way too little. Should have had 1 more extreme setting.

Weight. Don't really notice it much yet but the car feels very big in terms of size. Takes getting used to for sure. Easy parking spots now need some brain power to navigate. Again just getting used to it so no big deal. Amazing how much difference 4'' more width and 11'' more length makes vs the M3...

Interior. In a word amazing. Everything is a joy to behold. Yes it's the old Nav but there are a bunch of great improvements vs my old M3. I'm a techie and I really am not bummed about not having the new version after seeing how well this 'old' version is implemented.
The seats are great. I'm 6'7'' and relatively wide but weirdly I can't clamp myself in with the side bolsters, they don't extend in very far. Other than that the seats are great and I've got even got contrast stitching without full leather!
The steering wheel is again, incredible, so solidly made and nicely put to gather.

One negative point is the the center console really should be merino leather like the seats, M3 had this. Not terrible but would've been nice.

Extremely impressed with the fit and finish. The doors are BIG but they feel amazingly light yet solid.

So you can probably tell that I'm big time impressed with this beast. Can't wait to hit 1200 miles and remove the restrictions. I have a feeling that they DO limit hp pre break in….
So compared to an M3; way more of an imposing car, feels more dangerous and far more luxuriously appointed in a good sporty way, not in Merc old man way.
I can't compare performance yet as still enduring break in but will update asap.

Here are some pics, was rushing so not the best...
Awesome writeup, stunning car. Congrats!
-Retired: 13' E93 335is 6MT Wht, 14' F22 M235i 6MT Bk, 16' F26 X4M40i LBBlue, 15' F83 M4 6MT, 12' E89 Z4sD28i 6MT SpGry, 11' F10 550i Blk, 04' E63 645Ci MiAg, 04' E46 330i 6MT ZHP
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats on the car and thanks for your initial review and thoughts.

Great read for those considering or waiting for their M6.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great review n pix, congrats!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Nice pictures and writeup!

Thanks for the shout out too
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
inagua
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, X5 35d, m235

Very nice write up
Old Nav?
or new 3D nav?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep

old nav but really integrates well, don't really miss the update even though I live for toys...
Appreciate 0