BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Placed Order: 650xi GC

So, I pulled the trigger this evening and placed an order for a '17 650xi GC. I had a hard time deciding what to leave out... so I really loaded it.

- Black Sapphire / Black Nappa / Fineline
- M-Sport
- Cold Weather
- Driver Assistance Plus
- ACC Stop & Go
- Adaptive Drive
- Active Seats
- B&O
- Night Vision

Total MSRP came to about $113k and change, but I managed a pretty decent deal.

I also decided to swap out the Shadowline exterior trim for standard chrome. I've had the shadowline on my current 550xi, and while it's sporty, against a black painted car, it mutes things a bit much. So I decided to go back to standard chrome here.

I really went in circles on the interior - considering every combination under the sun really. Ultimately, I went very conservative (and much like every BMW I've owned for 15 years), but I just wasn't convinced I wouldn't grow tired of a more adventurous color scheme.

From my past experience, I'm expecting it'll take a good two months to arrive - so until then, it'll just be the waiting game.

It's taken me a long while to decide on this upgrade, though - the 550xi has been a great car, and in about 3 years I've only managed 18k miles on it. The 650xi GC is similar, although a few options (like B&O and night vision) will be new to me... had to spice it up. A few things I WILL miss, though, include being able to open the sun roof (not that I do it often, but still nice a few days out of the year) and a fully powered trunk (strange that the 6 doesn't get this). But those little nits aside, there are many more upgrades I'm looking forward to here - including a much more premium interior and styling that makes the 5 look very common.

Thanks for the advice to those who shared here over the past few months as I've been making this decision - looking forward to the car's arrival.
Appreciate 1
JakeBMW11.50
      12-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Congrats. Sounds like it will be amazing. Looking forward to pics already.

Totally agree on power boot and sunroof but you get used to both after not long.

Also do not know why comfort access does not include opening the boot hands free with a kick under the bumper, even had that on my F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
sewright
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i

Congrats on the new car!

In your other thread I was "Meh" about night vision. Well, I take that back. I was driving to work last week and there was a guy walking on the side of the road, pretty much on the white line. He was wearing dark clothes and I saw him and probably would have not hit him (maybe?!) but the car saw him a good 2+ seconds or more before I could see him so I had plenty of time to give him room.
      12-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewright View Post
Congrats on the new car!

In your other thread I was "Meh" about night vision. Well, I take that back. I was driving to work last week and there was a guy walking on the side of the road, pretty much on the white line. He was wearing dark clothes and I saw him and probably would have not hit him (maybe?!) but the car saw him a good 2+ seconds or more before I could see him so I had plenty of time to give him room.
Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on the night vision. I figured it would be a neat toy to try out. I came close to getting it on my 5 and then decided against it last minute. But this time around I figured I'd throw the kitchen sink at the configuration. I guess the way I look at it - you don't normally hit people (or animals) in your everyday driving... but there's always the chance. And if it saves me from doing so just once, then it would have been money extremely well spent.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Congratulations. You will enjoy this car more than the 5er.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Congrats on the new motor. I think you were right to go with chrome surrounds on a black.

By the way, how come you passed on headup display ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Congratulations. You will enjoy this car more than the 5er.
Thank you. The 550xi was nice, and it's one of the nicest designs IMHO, but they're also everywhere. I like that the 6GC is rarely seen - and the looks are gorgeous. While the equipment / tech is the same "era" as my F10 (versus the new 5/7), I'm actually very much OK with that given the styling of the next generation coming out just doesn't seem as appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Congrats on the new motor. I think you were right to go with chrome surrounds on a black.

By the way, how come you passed on headup display ?
Yes, I went back and forth on the trim. Here in the US, if you order the M-Sport package, you automatically get the shadowline trim - so I had to ask them to special "delete" that option. It looks very stealthy, but I felt I was ready for a bit of a change and muted some of the lines of the car for me.

As for the HUD, the car has it. The US packages are fairly comprehensive. The M-Sport package includes the Executive Package.... which in turn has HUD in there. Overall, this car is well optioned. It pretty much has every available option aside from BMW Individual options (special leather, special trim, etc).
Appreciate 0