BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Hargreaves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

M6 Gran Coupe Adaptive Lights - Too Bright? Too Clever?

Hi all,

This is my first post since the departure of the M3 and the arrival of the M6 Gran Coupe - lovely car :-) I've just passed 1,800 miles and she is starting to warm up nicely although the wet weather here does not bode well for good rear traction!

Right question for anyone else with LED Adaptive lights.

In general driving with the lights on, now and then oncoming road users flashes me as they assume that I have the lights on full beam but that is acceptable as they are bright. But, when I am in a queue of traffic it seems almost 1 in 5 driving towards me flash me assuming my lights are on full beam. It's annoying to say the least.

That said, last night I was driving towards a queue of traffic and 200 yards in front there was a car where the lights were blinding me. As I drove closer it turned out to be a 6GC with LED!

So my question is this. Does anyone else have this as an frequent occurrence?

Are the Adaptive lights just trying to be too clever and work their way around the car in front and therefore causing excessive over flow of light?

Or are they just too bright in that situation?

I've just had the 1,200 mile service and they were checked out and I was told that they are all OK so I wondered if it is just the end result of what they are trying to do?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I've not driven very much at night, probably 7-8 hours, I've not had anyone flash at me yet. I can see a pretty clear demarcation when the lights are dipped, I've not really noticed them trying to be 'too clever' at manipulating the high beam, just turning it on and off at pretty much the points that I would have done so manually.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Hargreaves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks RichardP - I'd agree on the 'On or Off' statement. I've seen the video of what they are supposed to do but I agree that they appear to be on Full Beam or not most of the time. Hope your'e enjoying the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I assume this is the video you have seen.

Can't say I've seen the lights do anything like what's shown there!

Yes, the car is really great! Very different to the E39 M5 that I still have, can't wait until it's fully run in.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

That video is very annoying …..mainly because us M6 owners (driving BMW's most expensive car) don't get some of the great technology thats available further down the range. That video is specifically demonstrating adaptive high beam assist (note…not adaptive lights, because adaptive high beam is a different thing). It's a feature only available on 3 and 5 series - it's an utter farce that they don't fit it to the 6. Yep, they've fitted it to the 3 (despite not needing an LCI facelift to do so), have fitted to the LCI 5 but nothing on the 6. Adaptive LED's on the 6 only get the basic on and off function I'm not bitter about it….no, not at all

It's much the same with iDrive touch….I've just bought an M135i for the missus which has this feature, but it's nowhere to be seen on my 2014 M6. Outrageous.

As for the brightness of our (basic ) lights, I've never been flashed yet and I even asked the dealer to set my dipped beam to the highest legal limit, as I tend to find dipped beams set too low from the factory. The lights themselves are great, until I see them automatically dip in their rudimentary on-off manner…so annoying when I know how good they could have been
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
That would explain why I've not seen my lights acting like the ones in the video then! You would have thought that the new technologies would be implemented first in the high end vehicles and then filter down, it does seem very odd that neither the latest iDrive or Adaptive High Beam Assist are not on the 6 series. What else are we missing out on!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
It's a feature only available on 3 and 5 series - it's an utter farce that they don't fit it to the 6. Yep, they've fitted it to the 3 (despite not needing an LCI facelift to do so), have fitted to the LCI 5 but nothing on the 6. Adaptive LED's on the 6 only get the basic on and off function I'm not bitter about it….no, not at all (
Essentially the 3 and 5 series sell as many or more cars in a month as the 6 series sells in a year. It's volume not price.

And I don't like it either.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Hargreaves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the note Palmnuts. I am a massive BMW fan but I would agree that some of their decisions test me more and more with my loyalty.

With regards to the lights it looks like I need to speak to my dealer about what they should and should not be able to do then! He was pretty clear with me that the '14 model came with these but I would have to say that the driving experience to date (as noted above) proves that it does not do it! Appreciate the clarification and expert knowledge.

So with that in mind I guess the flashing must be just for us boys down south (Berkshire) who are stuck in traffic more than the spacious roads up in your regions ;-)

Outside of that I LOVE the car and can't really fault it in any other way so far, well, except for it must have the largest cup holders in the world! Reading the forums is looks like the insert from the X3 will fit so I might have to invest in some of those.

I went for the Silverstone II which (for me) works really well with the Carbon detailing and the new wheel design. Standard leather as the Extended would get ruined by the kids but added Comfort Access, Surround Cameras & Privacy glass. Very happy to date.

I hope you are enjoying yours!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Hargreaves, how long have you had the car if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how long it took you to do 1,800 miles. Mine is only just over 800 miles now, but nearly 700 of those were since Monday!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hargreaves View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post since the departure of the M3 and the arrival of the M6 Gran Coupe - lovely car :-) I've just passed 1,800 miles and she is starting to warm up nicely although the wet weather here does not bode well for good rear traction!

Right question for anyone else with LED Adaptive lights.

In general driving with the lights on, now and then oncoming road users flashes me as they assume that I have the lights on full beam but that is acceptable as they are bright. But, when I am in a queue of traffic it seems almost 1 in 5 driving towards me flash me assuming my lights are on full beam. It's annoying to say the least.

That said, last night I was driving towards a queue of traffic and 200 yards in front there was a car where the lights were blinding me. As I drove closer it turned out to be a 6GC with LED!

So my question is this. Does anyone else have this as an frequent occurrence?

Are the Adaptive lights just trying to be too clever and work their way around the car in front and therefore causing excessive over flow of light?

Or are they just too bright in that situation?

I've just had the 1,200 mile service and they were checked out and I was told that they are all OK so I wondered if it is just the end result of what they are trying to do?

Many thanks!
It's NOT adaptive lights at all.
You need to turn on high beem assist thats what does the tricks, not adaptive lights, they only shine round bends nothing else.
      11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Different for the USA

Unfortunately, I don't believe this ADAPTIVE High Beam technology has been approved yet for the U.S. market. The part where the headlights "split" (i.e. when either an oncoming vehicle or another vehicle ahead traveling in the same direction is detected), is not available in the U.S. because our regulations state that nothing can block or interfere with the headlights, etc.

Here in the U.S., our optional Lighting Packages only include Adaptive Full LED Lights with AUTOMATIC high beams, which BMW describes as follows:

"With highlighter, low-beam/high-beam function (from both three-dimensional light rings), cornering lights, turn indicators and daytime driving lights entirely in LED technology. The light temperature of the LED lights is close to that of daylight, so this technology provides enhanced comfort and safety. Includes Adaptive Headlights with variable light control for dynamic illumination of the road ahead. Light distribution adapts automatically to the speed of the car and depends on the steering angle.

Round headlights flattened at top and bottom and split across the middle by transverse carriers for the LED units."

The standard-issue headlights are simply Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, etc.

Last edited by VintageFerrari; 11-07-2013 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
It's NOT adaptive lights at all.
You need to turn on high beem assist thats what does the tricks, not adaptive lights, they only shine round bends nothing else.
John, it's adaptive high beam assist that does the trickery seen in the video. And as we've both mentioned before, it's not fitted to the 6 series. The 6 just gets the auto high beam (with basic on/off) whereas the 3 and 5 series gets the better adaptive high beam.

As you say, adaptive lights (be that LED or xenon) are a different thing altogether.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the note Palmnuts. I am a massive BMW fan but I would agree that some of their decisions test me more and more with my loyalty.

With regards to the lights it looks like I need to speak to my dealer about what they should and should not be able to do then! He was pretty clear with me that the '14 model came with these but I would have to say that the driving experience to date (as noted above) proves that it does not do it! Appreciate the clarification and expert knowledge.

So with that in mind I guess the flashing must be just for us boys down south (Berkshire) who are stuck in traffic more than the spacious roads up in your regions ;-)

Outside of that I LOVE the car and can't really fault it in any other way so far, well, except for it must have the largest cup holders in the world! Reading the forums is looks like the insert from the X3 will fit so I might have to invest in some of those.

I went for the Silverstone II which (for me) works really well with the Carbon detailing and the new wheel design. Standard leather as the Extended would get ruined by the kids but added Comfort Access, Surround Cameras & Privacy glass. Very happy to date.

I hope you are enjoying yours!
Yes, enjoying mine very much - it's a great daily drive. My only dislikes are the slightly clumsy body control on bumpy B roads (a consequence of its weight, despite my Competition Pack suspension) and a slightly odd driving position where the pedals just seem a little too close (pushing your legs up or forcing your arms to stretch too much). Odd, given it's the same floorpan as the 5 series which doesn't have this trait, so it must be down to the 6's lower seating position.

Otherwise, it's exceptional. My favourite option is the ceramic brakes - an indulgence given it really doesn't need them for road use but something I re lly can feel the benefit of everytime I use them. B&O audio is outrageous too I know what you mean about the leather as I spec'd full individual white which looks outstanding but, even without kids, requires constant attention to keep clean. The individual leather is lush, but I'll never do white again! There was one option that I thought a bit silly, but was cheap enough for me to try for the hell of it....my heated steering wheel And you know what, it's actually been really pleasant on the last couple of cold mornings!

As for our missing items of technology, I think it surprised my dealer too that the 2014 6 series didn't come with the latest gadgets, especially as they're not items that require the depth of an LCI update to add. We've been royally shafted on these bits, but BMW won't care one jot.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I wonder if it will ever be possible to retrofit either the latest iDrive or full adaptive high beam assist?

The iDrive must be just a case of the latest software and an iDrive controller with the touch pad plus the console trim to fit it.

Adaptive high beam assist may be more difficult, it depends on the way the technology is implemented. I suppose it's vaguely possible that it's just software, both for the light position recognition and moving the individual lenses. It may require software and camera/sensor updates, but as the lenses in the light units themselves are all movable it would be disappointing (and very expensive!) if they required upgrading too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
John, it's adaptive high beam assist that does the trickery seen in the video. And as we've both mentioned before, it's not fitted to the 6 series. The 6 just gets the auto high beam (with basic on/off) whereas the 3 and 5 series gets the better adaptive high beam.

As you say, adaptive lights (be that LED or xenon) are a different thing altogether.
YEP.
      11-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
Hargreaves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Lovely spec Andrew! I am just starting my journey of cars of this level but looking at your track record there has been a bevy of beauties in the garage at your place!

I do agree with you about the pedal location though and despite lots of options with the seat I do find that after a long journey I do get a bit of ache around the knee. I'm just over 6 foot so maybe I need to shrink a little bit for optimum seating position? But overall it is a lovely cruiser and has power when it's needed although I would say that I do miss the immediate response that the M3 had though. What I mean by that is if you just want to 'tap' the accelerator to make sure you go through on Amber and not Red ;-) I do find that there is a slight delay on the turbo spinning up where as the 4.0 V8 on the M3 would respond instantaneously but as you say the 6GC is a big and heavy car to move. I guess the correct approach would be to move my foot to the right and brake and stop ;-)

Richard, I have had the car for 6 weeks now but I travel a lot around EMEA and to the US but I managed with a lot of little journeys and a load of night time runs to get there in 4 weeks. The service was easy enough and now she really does feel like she is loosening up. In the first service the dealer said that they replace the engine oil with a thinner option and I cant say that I can tell the difference in that respect but mentally the option to go over 5k RPM has a big difference.

I've still not really kicked it down yet as to be honest there is so much power low down I just haven't had the need to do it although in these wet conditions accelerating out of a corner can be interesting if your are slightly to heavy on the pedal.

It certainly draws a lot of attention and conversations with other drivers though so filling up at a Petrol station can take some time! At the moment I am running around 18.6MPG which is better then my M3 as that hung around 17.4 but to be honest that was much more of a 'drive me hard' car and when you are in that with an engine that revs to 8.5k and that sound it was just a different drive.

Overall it really is a stunning looking car and if I am honest a lot more admired than I had anticipated which means I get a smile when I drive it and a smile when I look back at her.

Few pics attached.

PS - I am a massive wheel guy - I think they make or break a car. On this one they MAKE it for me :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
That would explain why I've not seen my lights acting like the ones in the video then!
Yes I am afraid it's on the F30/31 and new LCI M5, but NOT M6

I have it and it really is good.
      11-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lovely spec Andrew! I am just starting my journey of cars of this level but looking at your track record there has been a bevy of beauties in the garage at your place!

I do agree with you about the pedal location though and despite lots of options with the seat I do find that after a long journey I do get a bit of ache around the knee. I'm just over 6 foot so maybe I need to shrink a little bit for optimum seating position? But overall it is a lovely cruiser and has power when it's needed although I would say that I do miss the immediate response that the M3 had though. What I mean by that is if you just want to 'tap' the accelerator to make sure you go through on Amber and not Red ;-) I do find that there is a slight delay on the turbo spinning up where as the 4.0 V8 on the M3 would respond instantaneously but as you say the 6GC is a big and heavy car to move. I guess the correct approach would be to move my foot to the right and brake and stop ;-)

Richard, I have had the car for 6 weeks now but I travel a lot around EMEA and to the US but I managed with a lot of little journeys and a load of night time runs to get there in 4 weeks. The service was easy enough and now she really does feel like she is loosening up. In the first service the dealer said that they replace the engine oil with a thinner option and I cant say that I can tell the difference in that respect but mentally the option to go over 5k RPM has a big difference.

I've still not really kicked it down yet as to be honest there is so much power low down I just haven't had the need to do it although in these wet conditions accelerating out of a corner can be interesting if your are slightly to heavy on the pedal.

It certainly draws a lot of attention and conversations with other drivers though so filling up at a Petrol station can take some time! At the moment I am running around 18.6MPG which is better then my M3 as that hung around 17.4 but to be honest that was much more of a 'drive me hard' car and when you are in that with an engine that revs to 8.5k and that sound it was just a different drive.

Overall it really is a stunning looking car and if I am honest a lot more admired than I had anticipated which means I get a smile when I drive it and a smile when I look back at her.

Few pics attached.

PS - I am a massive wheel guy - I think they make or break a car. On this one they MAKE it for me :-)
Hi Your car looks really good, How many miles have you done to date?.
My LCI M5 has just 2900 miles and it is returning 25/26 MPG normal driving with some booting , mostly all out of town though.
      11-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Hargreaves
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hi John. Thanks :-) I thought about the Singapore Grey for a long time as I love that colour but felt that it would hide the detailing and sculpting a bit too much.

I've just hit 2,000 miles and had a great blast back from a meeting and I am starting to get pretty tuned into the engine and turbo noise so I am not sure thats going to help my MPG! Again no real kick down yet but looking forward to a dry, bright and quiet day to give it a real go.

How are you finding the M5? My friend has had his for a year now and loves it to bits. Misses the engine sound from the prior version but loves the sheer power in this rev. Also, do you have the 'very special, exclusive and clever lights' ? If so how good are they? I need to know what I am missing just so I can sulk for a little bit longer and let my frustration at BMW grow
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi John. Thanks :-)

How are you finding the M5? My friend has had his for a year now and loves it to bits. Misses the engine sound from the prior version but loves the sheer power in this rev. Also, do you have the 'very special, exclusive and clever lights' ? If so how good are they? I need to know what I am missing just so I can sulk for a little bit longer and let my frustration at BMW grow
I am loving it so far, just so much power, I have the New High Beem assist, it does some really unusual things, like makes a tunnel around the vehicle in front lighting all the road except that car , amazing.
PS) how easy do see out of the rear window?, it looks so narrow.
      11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Interesting they your cars don't have the high beam assist. I have a 12' 6er M sport that has it. It's the lower button on the turn signal stalk..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
They have Adaptive Lights and High Beam Assist, but not Adaptive High Beam Assist.
Appreciate 0