BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Roy46
Rep
Drives: M6 Convertible

Sometimes starting in 1st gear, sometimes in 2nd gear

Hi Everybody,

When I drive my M6 convertible (F12) in the D mode (automatic gear change) and stop at a traffic light or speed bump, it sometimes goes back to 1st gear and other times back to 2nd gear. I tried to find out but can't find a pattern, it is just always the question if it will start in 1st or 2nd gear, also no difference in D1, D2 or D3. Does anybody know why? And is it possible to program the transmission so the car will always take-off in 1st gear. In my opinion it doesn't feel very good for the clutch when starting this 2000 kg car in his 2nd gear.

Many thanks for your reply!

Roy
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy46 View Post
Hi Everybody,

When I drive my M6 convertible (F12) in the D mode (automatic gear change) and stop at a traffic light or speed bump, it sometimes goes back to 1st gear and other times back to 2nd gear. I tried to find out but can't find a pattern, it is just always the question if it will start in 1st or 2nd gear, also no difference in D1, D2 or D3. Does anybody know why? And is it possible to program the transmission so the car will always take-off in 1st gear. In my opinion it doesn't feel very good for the clutch when starting this 2000 kg car in his 2nd gear.

Roy
Hmmm, I don't remember my car ever starting off in 2nd gear while in auto. I have started it off in 2nd my self a few times in adverse conditions to keep wheel spin down. If i keep the car at a steady move and not come to a complete stop it will stay in 2nd sometimes as it downshifts from a higher gear.
      03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

My car does the same. I've noticed it does it in D1/2 but never in 3. And it only does it in stop go traffic. For example when I'm in town and there are multiple red lights it starts in second. But on a service road where there are few red lights it starts in 1st. It also shifts to first no matter what on steep inclines. Because of how it works in these various situations I though it was normal so I never questioned it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249 View Post
My car does the same. I've noticed it does it in D1/2 but never in 3. And it only does it in stop go traffic. For example when I'm in town and there are multiple red lights it starts in second. But on a service road where there are few red lights it starts in 1st. It also shifts to first no matter what on steep inclines. Because of how it works in these various situations I though it was normal so I never questioned it.
My experience is same as this.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Spencer25
2015 M4 Coupe, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6; 2015 F25 M4 Demo

I experience the same thing with my car starting in second. Today it even started in second when I was in D3 (my M1 setting). Not sure why...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Roy46
Rep

Happy that I am not the only one. It is very strange because in my opinion there is no pattern or reason why it uses 1st or 2nd gear. Next week I need to go for the 1st oil service at the local dealer, so will ask if they can change it in the software. Will let you all know the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy46 View Post
Hi Everybody,

Roy
When my car comes to a stop, it always shifts down to first. If the car keeps rolling like a rolling stop, it seems to want to stay in second. It never seems uncomfortable though as I can override it at anytime. Also, I tend to drive it in manual mode 90% of the time. It is very predictable. Like Precision I have started of in 2nd deliberately in bad weather but that was intentional. Works well by the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Roy46
Rep

Been at the dealer for the first inspection, but they couldn't explain it and definately not change or adjust it...

In my opinion it is still strange as there is no pattern in 1st or 2nd gear starting....
Appreciate 0