BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Use of DI water in washer system

I had a dabble in the manual today and saw an interesting note from BMW to not use "pure water" in the washer system.

Can anyone provide me a reason as to exactly why?

Problem being, like many of the UK Kent guys will know, the water parts per million (ppm) count is around 240-250 measured from the tap. Which means leaving any water on the surface of the car in any mild warm weather will leave water spots within about 30 minutes (it is among a number of reasons I have access to filtered water for all final rinse applications during washing on an average day (or like on Friday's wash in mildly direct sunlight the full process with no water spotting ).

I do have access to mildly filtered (Brita), but that is a pain when I have a ready made 0ppm source for bottle mixing when detailing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59
I had a dabble in the manual today and saw an interesting note from BMW to not use "pure water" in the washer system.

Problem being, like many of the UK Kent guys will know, the water parts per million (ppm) count is around 240-250 measured from the tap. Which means leaving any water on the surface of the car in any mild warm weather will leave water spots within about 30 minutes (it is among a number of reasons I have access to filtered water for all final rinse applications during washing on an average day (or like on Friday's wash in mildly direct sunlight the full process with no water spotting ).

I do have access to mildly filtered (Brita), but that is a pain when I have a ready made 0ppm source for bottle mixing when detailing.
Most likely, the risk of freezing. This could damage components.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59

Pure in the context of just water with no additive or dedicated fluid. It's to keep the lines from both freezing when cold and steam from absorbed heat in the places it passes really hot bits.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
j_d_valle
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e30/bmw f13

If any part of the washer trayectory is metal it will corrode if its just pure water with the engine heat cycle. Thats all the i can make of it.
Appreciate 0