BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

First attempt at a wax / detail

So it was a bit sunny today and I had 30 quids worth of Halfords vouchers haha

So bought their polish and window / tyre and window cleaning products

I know I know, cheap Ass!!...but I've never actually done any of my cars, I usually just pay 200 quid every 6 months to get the job done at a local detailed

However I'm super impressed with the results from 30 quids worth of low end products

Does anyone have a good recommendation for leather care products for oyster white, in particular the seat belts are looking grubby, and and higher end polish suggestions would be appreciated ( 40 or 50 quid ones, not the crazy price stuff )

Cheers everyone
Attached Images

Last edited by Rufus123; 02-24-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Another pic
Attached Images

Last edited by Rufus123; 05-18-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Another one
Attached Images

Last edited by Rufus123; 05-18-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Front
Attached Images

Last edited by Rufus123; 05-18-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Great job. Darker colors are harder to make pop.

Keep practicing.

R.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC

Can't really see much in the shade but, it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

As long as your using a 2BM its all good. She looks btw mate.

For leather I've just purchased a litre bottle of Dr Leather cleaner. Will keep ya posted on my review of it.
      02-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darms View Post
As long as your using a 2BM its all good. She looks btw mate.

For leather I've just purchased a litre bottle of Dr Leather cleaner. Will keep ya posted on my review of it.
I love Dr Leather cleaner and the wipes which are both the same product just in different forms (and I have used both on previous occasions). Darryl knows his stuff about modern coated leather and the old school leather (aniline). I am going to try the dye block for the first time on the 6 soon.

Another good leather provider is LTT leather care equally good.

The biggest thing is leather is not like it was as it is now coated in virtually all cases for automotive applications (RR and Bentley are excluded as they still do not use coated leather). Therefore care is "easier", it needs cleaning and sealing, conditioners and balms are not necessary and can in fact worsen the problem of keeping leather clean. Clean leather should be dull and not shiny in anyway.

I say "easier" to clean as the coating has weaknesses in relation to the likes of Jean Dye....

In relation to wax or sealant or coating it is down to what do you want, how tricky it is to apply and how long it will last.

I mean my collection goes from the £10 region to the £2500 region.

The 6's first detail (considering it is Alpine White) I will go aiming more for gloss and some light fillers to mask some defects*. An odd combo of the now defunct Werkstat acrylic base (Prime for those that know it, Carlack also produce variants of this still) and Gtechniq C2.

In the Summer I will more than likely strip or reapply the base as per above but top with a wax Swissvax Mirage is the front runner at the moment or I may get my Zymol Vintage out for the 6 (I need to polish up a few bits on the MX5 first and get my Vintage on it).

*You say "polish" by polish I have implied you meant wax/sealant or coatings polish simply aims to remove or mask defects, a wax,sealant or coating is there for protection.

Coating wise I could talk all day whilst they are good (and some might suggest a professional detailer) I find as a hobbyist they simply do not appeal and just bore me to death.

Last edited by NINJA59; 02-24-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Mine was popping lovely yesterday.
I did a 5 stage process using a Da.
Attached Images

02-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
That looks fantastic mate, ruby red is a beautiful colour when the suns out
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
I love Dr Leather cleaner and the wipes which are both the same product just in different forms (and I have used both on previous occasions). Darryl knows his stuff about modern coated leather and the old school leather (aniline). I am going to try the dye block for the first time on the 6 soon.

Another good leather provider is LTT leather care equally good.

The biggest thing is leather is not like it was as it is now coated in virtually all cases for automotive applications (RR and Bentley are excluded as they still do not use coated leather). Therefore care is "easier", it needs cleaning and sealing, conditioners and balms are not necessary and can in fact worsen the problem of keeping leather clean. Clean leather should be dull and not shiny in anyway.

I say "easier" to clean as the coating has weaknesses in relation to the likes of Jean Dye....

In relation to wax or sealant or coating it is down to what do you want, how tricky it is to apply and how long it will last.

I mean my collection goes from the £10 region to the £2500 region.

The 6's first detail (considering it is Alpine White) I will go aiming more for gloss and some light fillers to mask some defects*. An odd combo of the now defunct Werkstat acrylic base (Prime for those that know it, Carlack also produce variants of this still) and Gtechniq C2.

In the Summer I will more than likely strip or reapply the base as per above but top with a wax Swissvax Mirage is the front runner at the moment or I may get my Zymol Vintage out for the 6 (I need to polish up a few bits on the MX5 first and get my Vintage on it).

*You say "polish" by polish I have implied you meant wax/sealant or coatings polish simply aims to remove or mask defects, a wax,sealant or coating is there for protection.

Coating wise I could talk all day whilst they are good (and some might suggest a professional detailer) I find as a hobbyist they simply do not appeal and just bore me to death.
Great info mate and thanks for the reply

2500 squid wax..... Holy shit !!! I thought I was pushing the boat out last night when I was looking at 50 quidders haha
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123
Quote:
Thanks bud
Yes it certainly transforms it once the sun is out. Think just black looks good but nice to change when the sun comes out :-)
      02-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #13
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123
Quote:
Thanks bud
Yes it certainly transforms it once the sun is out. Think just black looks good but nice to change when the sun comes out :-)
      02-25-2016, 04:30 AM   #14
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
Great info mate and thanks for the reply

2500 squid wax..... Holy shit !!! I thought I was pushing the boat out last night when I was looking at 50 quidders haha

The MX5 does not look like this currently and is not wearing Vintage. I need to repolish the bumpers, side skirts and a few other points. Then straight to two coats of wax it should need no glazes or masking as it is the real deal.

A review I did last year just after getting it as there are very few actual reviews as people tend to not get past the investment required for the full tub - 623g - per gram this actually works out cheaper than Swissvax Crystal Rock from Paul Dalton (my treat to myself for 10 years detailing):
http://www.detailingnation.com/showt...-going-Vintage

Last edited by NINJA59; 02-25-2016 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #15
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Must have been bad for a 5 stage process with the DA? Looks good though, did you use any glazing agents?

My GC has a few light swirls, but I am going down the masking route with mine as it is white and I don't really want to polish 5 metres of car with the other still to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:43 AM   #16
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59
Quote:
Must have been bad for a 5 stage process with the DA? Looks good though, did you use any glazing agents?

My GC has a few light swirls, but I am going down the masking route with mine as it is white and I don't really want to polish 5 metres of car with the other still to do.
Yes it was pretty bad with swirls and holograms and coupled with that I'm very fussy. The last stage i applied was with Menzerna seal polish.
      02-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #17
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes it was pretty bad with swirls and holograms and coupled with that I'm very fussy. The last stage i applied was with Menzerna seal polish.
I am fussy having spent 10 years detailing! Ah...mine are only minor on the paint, bar the black plastic trim which is really heavily swirled although most of the black trim I have met is soft so a quick swizz with the rotary on a soft finishing pad and Carpro Reflect should get that seen to.

Sort of glad I ended up with a white car it hides the swirls very very well even if they are light.

Not a bad choice in sealant (although technically it is not a "polish") not really that raved over. As a hobbyist I do find it interesting to mix combo's up with a degree of research as to what is compatible with what.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #18
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59
Quote:
I am fussy having spent 10 years detailing! Ah...mine are only minor on the paint, bar the black plastic trim which is really heavily swirled although most of the black trim I have met is soft so a quick swizz with the rotary on a soft finishing pad and Carpro Reflect should get that seen to.

Sort of glad I ended up with a white car it hides the swirls very very well even if they are light.

Not a bad choice in sealant (although technically it is not a "polish") not really that raved over. As a hobbyist I do find it interesting to mix combo's up with a degree of research as to what is compatible with what.
Yeah my bad not a polish. I bought some polish from poorboys that is for black cars. That seems fairly good and also the meguiars stuff isn't too bad from what I've used.
What's your favourite polish?
      02-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Depends on what car it is going on and what you are aiming for....

For the mx5 it always gets wax...i love wax and red responds better.

Regarding the gc it is white and i want gloss sealants provide that but lack warmth like i have finished it in today. I will inject some warmth with a wax in a few weeks.

Regarding actual polishing it does depend if i want to cheat and fill. The mx5 is the real mccoy in a full correction and wax. The gc is cheating wearing a light filler coating provided by werkstat prime but in honesty i dont mind the few swirls the car looks good is clean and for the miles it will be doing a full correction is impractical and i not a fan of coatings which could allow this but you can still marr quite badly.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #20
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
I think it looks amazing!

These are fairly inexpensive and work great, see if you can get a hold of these products where you live:
Leather cleaner - lexol cleaner and conditioner
Wax: Collinite Wax 845

Id shop amazon.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #21
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cannot "really" condition modern seats you are much better using dye blockers or sealants instead of a "conditioner".

Hydration of the top level is the most important thing as well as minimising jean dye as this can breakdown the top protective layer.

Overall modern automotive leather is like nothing of old.
Appreciate 0