BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

2017 650xi GC - Arrival and Review

So, I placed the order for my 650xi GC about 2.5 months ago now, and I finally took delivery today.

First, I'll just say this... WOW. Hands down, after nearly two decades of BMW ownership, this is (by far) the best BMW I've owned. Now, if that sounds a bit over the top... maybe it is... considering I've only owned it for a day, and who really knows how, long term, that'll go. But on first impressions, it's nothing short of a very true statement!

The Looks

If I had to quickly sum it up for someone, I'd say this: if Gulfstream built a car, this would be it. The analogy to a private jet is the best I can come up with for this car. It's long, low, wide, and sleek, giving it a look like nothing else on the road... like a small passenger jet with wheels. It conveys sportiness and luxury in one package in a flawless way. As many times as I've looked at photos of the 6GC, every time I see one (rarely) in person, it always surprises.

The Drive

This car is a refreshing change from my previous '14 550xi. The 550xi was a fantastic car, but the 650xi GC just beats the experience on every level.

In the 550xi, if you left it in comfort mode (which I often did due to road quality), it was a bit of a pig. It wafted over little hills and bumps, and if you drove it too quickly in that mode, it felt a bit uneasy - the weight of the car was very, very present. It wasn't until you put the 550xi in sport mode did it hunker down a bit and drive like a proper BMW as far as handling goes.

The 650xi GC is completely different. Even in comfort mode, it handles like a proper BMW. The suspension is a night and day improvement. The car feels more planted and sharper in steering than the 550xi ever did. In sport mode, it's even better. I did opt for the Adaptive Drive, so I'm sure it's also part of it - but I also had it on the 550xi and didn't feel it did nearly as much for the handling!

For the first 30 minutes or so, I was pretty conscious of the size of the GC. But after some more time behind the wheel today, it started to shrink around me. Judging the corners will be tough for a while, I'm sure, but I could feel a marked improvement just in a few hours of playing with it.

The engine note is way more pronounced, despite being the same N63TU, so it must all come down to the exhaust. The dealer told me he also believes the transmission control is different on the GC, as well - which would make sense.

The Technology

For the most part, it's very similar to my old 550xi. But the new iDrive is a nice improvement. I haven't had a chance to play around much, but there are already several features that are stand-out improvements - like ability to track the car with real GPS (not just a mile away), wireless phone charging, mobile hotspot, and a variety of improved iDrive menu options (plus new look, of course).

I loaded the GC pretty well... including B&O (which is fantastic!), night vision (haven't played with it yet), adaptive drive, active cruise control, active seats, and pretty much any checkbox that could be ticked... which may explain why it came to over $113k! But, the car feels the part of every dollar, I will say.

Below are a few pics. It's already getting a bit filthy from the road salt/sand, but such is life. Overall, I'm VERY satisfied with the purchase decision so far. The car oozes class, sophistication, and technology... and I'm itching to take it on a lengthy drive somewhere interesting!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
chris.t
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640d msport

Garage List
Your car is looking great

Present 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #3
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Congratulations on the new wheels. Enjoyed reading your views and glad you seem so happy with it. Beautiful looking car mate.

The only problem I find is I never get to drive my 6er half as much as I would like and spend half my day daydreaming about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca1410 View Post
Congratulations on the new wheels. Enjoyed reading your views and glad you seem so happy with it. Beautiful looking car mate.

The only problem I find is I never get to drive my 6er half as much as I would like and spend half my day daydreaming about it.
Haha - I know what you mean. I had my 550xi (previous DD) for a little over three years and managed only 19k miles on it. Very pitiful. But I work from home, so that has a big part in how few miles I put on my cars.

I've already put a few hundred miles on the 6GC, though - just pleasure cruising to get a feel for it and playing with all the toys. I just got done taking it out for a quick spin to play with the night vision. Coolest thing ever!

I thought that the 6GC would be just a nicer looking, higher quality 5 - but, in reality, it's a completely different car. It drives SO much nicer. The handling is much more precise, the suspension is more controlled (firm but comfortable), and it just exudes confidence. I always felt that the 550xi got a bit squirly (bouncy, floaty, and imbalanced) if in comfort mode. The 6GC, on the other hand, is really a perfect blend of comfort and sport handling.

Just so pleased with this thing! And, while taking it out to play with night vision, I just got a nice surprise and realized that my B&O speakers actually light up at night! Cool little touch!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ohh... and I also debated back and forth about going with the chrome trim, despite the fact that here in the US when you select M-Sport package, you automatically get "shadow line trim." I'm happy to say, I'm LOVING the decision to go with chrome. I've always had black BMWs, and my last 550xi was the first with shadow line trim. While nice, I also felt that it subtracted a bit from the lines of the car.

With the 6GC, I took a chance and asked them to "delete" the shadow line in favor of conventional chrome. It came out great! I think it creates a nice blend of the traditional "elegance" of the non M-Sport with the M-Sport lines (fascia, body kit, wheels, etc).

Funny enough, when I was ordering the car, I think my dealer thought I was a bit strange for making this change - in fact, at first they didn't even know if it was possible. Well, when I picked up the car yesterday, my CA told me that the car was getting a ton of compliments around the dealership due to the inclusion of chrome with the M-Sport package... maybe it'll start a trend here in the US. I think the first model year came with Chrome on M-Sport before switching to shadow line.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Hows the power? What could you compare it to? Faster than a stock 335i?
      02-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

QUOTE=ezmaass;21322011]Ohh... and I also debated back and forth about going with the chrome trim, despite the fact that here in the US when you select M-Sport package, you automatically get "shadow line trim." I'm happy to say, I'm LOVING the decision to go with chrome. [/QUOTE]

I think it somewhat depends on the color of the car. While I like your car the chrome window trim did jump out at me. On my white car I think the shadow line dark trim and tinted windows go together better than chrome would.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Nice upgrade. I know exactly how you feel. I went from a '13 F10 528 to a '14 M6 GC. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in the car and drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Hows the power? What could you compare it to? Faster than a stock 335i?
Many moons ago I actually owned an '07 335i. It's definitely much more potent than the N54. Since I just came out of a '14 550xi with the same engine, it feels very familiar. Although, the power delivery is nicer in the 650xi GC - I'm assuming they've done something with the TCU.

The 6 is definitely heavier than the 5, though, so I actually believe my old 550xi was a smidge faster... but we're talking a tenth or two to 60, I'd say.

Overall, though - super pleased with power. The way this car puts it down is also much smoother than the 550xi... partly, I think, because of TCU tuning they must have done but also partly because of the additional control due to a better suspension, lower center of gravity, etc. Flooring it on the highway just feels like a jet taking off - smooth, relatively linear, and planted... just a really nice feeling.

I would have loved to go for the M6 but decided I couldn't justify the extra power trading off xDrive. Maybe next gen if they they offer xDrive on the M cars (I expect they will).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
QUOTE=ezmaass;21322011]Ohh... and I also debated back and forth about going with the chrome trim, despite the fact that here in the US when you select M-Sport package, you automatically get "shadow line trim." I'm happy to say, I'm LOVING the decision to go with chrome.
I think it somewhat depends on the color of the car. While I like your car the chrome window trim did jump out at me. On my white car I think the shadow line dark trim and tinted windows go together better than chrome would.
[/QUOTE]

Walt - I completely agree. The color plays a big part in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
major one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 750i x-drive; 16 g550

so. damn. sexy. those gran coupe are. man o man!!! i cant wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by major one View Post
so. damn. sexy. those gran coupe are. man o man!!! i cant wait to get mine.
Best BMW I've owned hands down. The looks of this thing are killer, the drive is sporty yet very luxurious, and the tech is outstanding. I can tell already that this is going to be a hard one to give up. My rule of thumb is that DD's typically get 3 - 6 years, usually on the longer side if nothing is immediately sparking my interest as a replacement. Looking around at the market today, I can't think of a single 4-door car I'd rather have in my driveway... which means it's likely going to be hard to replace!

I'll be curious to see what they do with the rumored 8-series.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Hey Ezmass
I agree with everything (having swapped my 650GC with my friends 550 several times).

I noticed you mentioned the 550 felt faster - that was the biggest difference between these two cars for me - his 550 was just so much more responsive. It felt fast and nimble off the line and always had power. My 650 always had to think a bit - especially when in comfort and taking off from a stop.

Thoughts?

PS - congrats.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Hey Ezmass
I agree with everything (having swapped my 650GC with my friends 550 several times).

I noticed you mentioned the 550 felt faster - that was the biggest difference between these two cars for me - his 550 was just so much more responsive. It felt fast and nimble off the line and always had power. My 650 always had to think a bit - especially when in comfort and taking off from a stop.

Thoughts?

PS - congrats.
My 550xi was a '14, GC is a '17, so take it for what it's worth... perhaps the TCU tuning has changed over the years...

But my 550xi felt maybe a tenth or two quicker to 60... barely noticeable in WOT and not noticeable at all otherwise. The difference in performance feels completely weight-driven to me. The GC feels noticeably heavier - I'm not sure (haven't looked it up), but I suspect it is truly heavier.

The GC's transmission, however, feels much improved over my '14 550xi. The 550xi, especially in comfort, was a bit sluggish. In sport it was OK, but the transmission could get jerky.

I'm wondering if the TCU tuning may have changed over the years, as well, which could also account for some differences in experience. Overall, the 550xi felt ever-so-slightly quicker (again, largely weight feeling), but the GC feels more refined in the way it's delivering power. With 445hp/480ft-lbs, I'm more than content, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Does it feel like youre driving a boat?

I drove an X6 2011 I think it was and the thing felt like a boat on wheels. Went and test drove a Porsche cayenne and it felt way more sportier. Yes I know I'm talking about crossovers but just trying to compare the boat like feeling of driving a heavy car.
      02-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #16
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Wow congratulations looks fantastic. I live thr contrast of the chrome for your car - makes the lines stand out well.

As above I too never seem to spend enough time driving the car so will hopefully rectify that this year by having UK based holiday where I take her rather than overseas holidays where I end up in a hire car!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Beautiful car and great write up!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Beautiful! Congratulations on the new car. I agree with you on the chrome here - really like it on your car.
2014 BMW 640iX GC (gone but not forgotten)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
JakeBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Xdrive GC -Carbon Bk

Garage List
Congrats. You are going to LOVE it!!!!!!
      02-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #20
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the great feedback guys - I'm loving the car! It's fantastic looking, driving, feeling, the whole nine yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Does it feel like youre driving a boat?

I drove an X6 2011 I think it was and the thing felt like a boat on wheels. Went and test drove a Porsche cayenne and it felt way more sportier. Yes I know I'm talking about crossovers but just trying to compare the boat like feeling of driving a heavy car.
Surprisingly, it doesn't feel that big at all. In fact, while it's slightly bigger dimension-wise compared to my previous 550xi, the 550xi actually felt much more like a boat due to the floaty nature of the suspension when not in Sport mode. The GC, on the other hand, handles really well even in Comfort. I also have the Adaptive Drive fitted to the car, which actively counters roll in the corners, and I think that really contributes to a smaller feeling car.

In reality, this is a large car - but behind the wheel, it's great at shrinking around you. You'll feel the weight if you really push it, without a doubt... but not because it's refusing to do what you're asking. In fact, I think it does stuff that it has no right to do for a car its size!

I was really concerned about it feeling too large, but as I said, it actually behaves, handles, and feels smaller (even though it's not) than my 550xi. So, that's an real accomplishment on BMW's part. Love this thing!
Appreciate 0