BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Compatibility between 650 exhaust and 550 /M5 / M6?

Looking for some much needed information. Quick background for those who haven’t seen my threads asking numerous questions on muffler deletes and exhaust in general. I have a 650 F12 but I have swapped out my rear M Sport diffuser with the M6 diffuser and added a Vorsteiner (style) diffuser. To fill up the void from this modification, it really calls for a quad tips that are 102mm or 4” wide each. After much research, there is no way to buy any exhaust (catback or axle back) for the 650 that has 102mm tips. They are all 89mm or 3.5”. I can appreciate why this is so since the M Sport diffuser on the 650 at max can only accommodate 3.5” tips. So my question is how compatible, both axle or cat back, are the 550/M5/M6 exhausts with the 650?

The 550 may be pointless as based on a quick little bit of research, I don’t think there are any 102mm options for the 550.

I know there are options for 102mm with the M5/M6 but how compatible are they with the 650’s? Could I just but an M6 axle back system and bolt it on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

In the process of doing that as we speak... M6 mufflers (axle back) then any aftermarket tips you choose... Lots of options. Lots of info in this forum to suggest that the M6 muffler fitment should be great once the difference in inlet diameter is accounted for. (2.75 to 3.0 inches). Hangers, vacuum lines for exhaust valves, and ground wires all should be compatible. User ndinh even did this on a 640 and it looks great. Some seem to have used M5 mufflers... probably more common than M6 mufflers but more work as hangers, etc... are not in the right place...
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

You'll be fine with either M5 or M6 mufflers. They're the exact same mufflers but M5 ones will need the hangers moved but that's a simple process and both will require an adapter for the pipe diameter, as mentioned above by SixPost. Vacuum lines are compatible so you'll have the option of using an exhaustmeister if you want. The OE tips are removable so you can use 102mm tips of your choice. I believe there's a guy selling M5 mufflers for $450 right now. So what happened with the FI ones on order?
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

SixPost and ndinh: Thanks so much for the quick replies.

I wanted to do the OEM M6 mufflers originally but I am almost 100% certain they can only handle up to 90mm tips. The cyba tips below are 90mm and they are pretty close to touching. Are you sure the factory M6 mufflers can handle the 102mm tips ndinh? What size tips are you running on your set up?

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=tips

If the M6 mufflers can't take the 102mm tips, I think I then need to go aftermarket. If I buy get an axle back set up, I am guessing it would basically be the same slight modifications of needing an adapter as if I used the M6 muffler right?

As far as the FI Exhaust goes, great memory! It is in my possession right now. The vendor thought we could order the 650 cat back with 102mm tips. So he put the order in for the cat back system (axle back is not available) with 102mm burnt blue tips. FI sent the system here (after waiting 2 months) with 89mm tips despite the fact the order was for 102mm. If I am going to spend that much on an exhaust system, I am going to get the exact look I want. I am currently in wait and see mode (vendor is trying to work with FI) but want to know what all my options are at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUGOGRN View Post
SixPost and ndinh: Thanks so much for the quick replies.

I wanted to do the OEM M6 mufflers originally but I am almost 100% certain they can only handle up to 90mm tips. The cyba tips below are 90mm and they are pretty close to touching. Are you sure the factory M6 mufflers can handle the 102mm tips ndinh? What size tips are you running on your set up?

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=tips

If the M6 mufflers can't take the 102mm tips, I think I then need to go aftermarket. If I buy get an axle back set up, I am guessing it would basically be the same slight modifications of needing an adapter as if I used the M6 muffler right?

As far as the FI Exhaust goes, great memory! It is in my possession right now. The vendor thought we could order the 650 cat back with 102mm tips. So he put the order in for the cat back system (axle back is not available) with 102mm burnt blue tips. FI sent the system here (after waiting 2 months) with 89mm tips despite the fact the order was for 102mm. If I am going to spend that much on an exhaust system, I am going to get the exact look I want. I am currently in wait and see mode (vendor is trying to work with FI) but want to know what all my options are at this point.
I'm running 3.5" but it looks like they'll work with 4" tips. Megan and Meisterschaft's also come with 4" tips options.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ght=M5+exhaust
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
I'm running 3.5" but it looks like they'll work with 4" tips. Megan and Meisterschaft's also come with 4" tips options.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ght=M5+exhaust
Dude...you are an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the link. I am blown away by the fact that those tips would work. It's so good to know that I have many options now as I would be totally fine with the M6 mufflers (or M5).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So here's a possible outcome with my FI Exhaust

If they can exchange the 650 cat back for the M6 cat back, any idea of what sort of fitment issues I may have?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

My suggestion. Which is what im doing is ecut outs. Saves me over 2k. Get two..place them on the each side of the piping and have open exhaust in the rear. Close off and cruise with no drone. Im going to get the car tuned with that
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So here's a possible outcome with my FI Exhaust

If they can exchange the 650 cat back for the M6 cat back, any idea of what sort of fitment issues I may have?
It should work. Your shop may need to fabricate the attachment point where the downpipes and the new system connects and possibly relocate several hangers. Definitely not a direct bolt-on system but not too crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime456 View Post
My suggestion. Which is what im doing is ecut outs. Saves me over 2k. Get two..place them on the each side of the piping and have open exhaust in the rear. Close off and cruise with no drone. Im going to get the car tuned with that
I had never heard of electrical exhaust cutouts until you just mentioned it. I just did some quick Googling and it definitely looks like it would have been an interesting idea. I already have an exhaust delete so if I were to do the cutouts then closing it would just revert back to my regular really loud drone. Other than that I have already purchased my exhaust and I'm just trying to think about what my other options are. Thanks for sharing this though!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
It should work. Your shop may need to fabricate the attachment point where the downpipes and the new system connects and possibly relocate several hangers. Definitely not a direct bolt-on system but not too crazy.
Thanks. I have the vendor asking the manufacturer this exact question right now and I am curious what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
I had never heard of electrical exhaust cutouts until you just mentioned it. I just did some quick Googling and it definitely looks like it would have been an interesting idea. I already have an exhaust delete so if I were to do the cutouts then closing it would just revert back to my regular really loud drone. Other than that I have already purchased my exhaust and I'm just trying to think about what my other options are. Thanks for sharing this though!
no problem bro. You would get no drone with the cutouts. If you were to put back the regular mufflers. Intstall the cutouts and keep them closed it would sound just like from factory. You have the option to open it with the flick of a switch or by remote. Ill try and post the setup im going with. Seen a few 535's with this and a shit load of m3s. Im mainly getting it to keep the car oem as possible in terms of sound and beastly when stepped on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime456 View Post
no problem bro. You would get no drone with the cutouts. If you were to put back the regular mufflers. Intstall the cutouts and keep them closed it would sound just like from factory. You have the option to open it with the flick of a switch or by remote. Ill try and post the setup im going with. Seen a few 535's with this and a shit load of m3s. Im mainly getting it to keep the car oem as possible in terms of sound and beastly when stepped on.
I think you and may be shooting for 2 different things. Sounds like you are looking to keep stock look but be able to sound mean whenever you would like.
Edit: I just saw your post discussing this and it sounds like you kept factory exhaust but you also have the M6 diffuser. You have the 640 right? I think that you only have one outlet so you may have other options than I do.

For me, I just care about the look and only a little about sound. With my rear M6 valence and CF diffuser, I have to have quad tips that are at the minimum 3.5" (89mm) but ideally 4.0" (102mm) each in diameter to fill the void. The rectangular tip on the 650 muffler can be removed and dual tips can be installed (there are 2 outlets on each muffler) but those outlets can only accommodate a 3.0" tip max. That is just too small and therefore I had to get rid of my muffler. Next option for me was the delete and though I love the look (currently have 89mm tips but would have loved 102's), I can't deal with the drone.

For now, I am currently in a holding pattern hoping that FI (through discussion my vendor is having with them) makes good on what I ordered which is a 650 cat back exhaust with mufflers that can handle 102mm tips. In order for them to do this though, they would have to weld their M6 mufflers on to a 650 cat back pipe set up. That would be the ideal set up and would only require slight hanger modifications on the mufflers.

If this does not work, I am hoping to get a full refund for sending back to the vendor (shipping at their expense) and then I will likely try to procure some M6/M5 mufflers and fit some 102mm tips on them. That will give me the look I am going for, no more drone (or MUCH reduced) and little more growl. If I need more growl though, this cutout option seems like a good one!

Last edited by MSUGOGRN; 07-12-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0