BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #1
dave550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 640D Vert Melbourne Red

F12 640D Convertible Boot Struts

Hi, As above just fitted two new hydraulic boot struts or trunk struts for our US friends because i thought right or wrong that when badge on boot lifted that the struts should lift the trunk up and open or when button in car pressed lid should raise by it self? but nothing different from old ones you have to actually lift the trunk lid up? is this correct would like to hear from other F12 Vert owners,
Thanks Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Hi, As above just fitted two new hydraulic boot struts or trunk struts for our US friends because i thought right or wrong that when badge on boot lifted that the struts should lift the trunk up and open or when button in car pressed lid should raise by it self? but nothing different from old ones you have to actually lift the trunk lid up? is this correct would like to hear from other F12 Vert owners,
Thanks Dave
That's correct. The vert tailgate does not open automatically. It's too short and the angle of travel for the struts insufficient to provide passive lift. Mercedes Benz solved this on the S-class Convertible by using a spindle drive and more complex hinges (that model had a similar, short rear trunk lid).
      07-10-2023, 10:30 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

As Hugo said, you have to lift it, and it does not lift very easily, and slams shut even harder. I had an MB CLK from 2008 that lifted with hydraulic lines and its MSRP was about 2/3 of my 650.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 12:45 AM   #4
LA640WS
Private
Rep
Drives: Vert 640, Merc SL63 R232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Thanks Dave
Lifting is a bitch since the only way to grab the heavy lid is from the flip up emblem/camera tuck away. I always bring the lid down to about 20in. to shorten the drop, and ease into the slam.
Appreciate 1