BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #23
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Yes more torque and yes the driving dynamics between the two cannot be different. The new M3/M4 cars are lighter than their predecessors while the M5/M6 have gotten heavier and larger and more complex. Not that they still don't do the job but having driven all three chassis now F10, F06 and now F80; I cannot but help to say that the smaller chassis does drive better dynamically and is more nimble as expected that the larger chassis just cannot do as well. Yes the M6 is a brute as is the M5 but they still cannot overcome the physics portion of the equation they need to deal with as well as the smaller BMW. Much more torque is needed to move the large mass of the larger 5 and 6 series M cars. BMW had done I think a great job of giving each owner something he/she seeks its just their job to figure out which ones are important to them as none of them do all things well. But the M3 to me brings it back and closest to the driving experiences of my e46 and e92 M3s.
I do agree with you that M3/M4 are more nimble than M5/M6 and as you said they are designed for different purposes.
As a side note (since many people are referring to heavy weight and large size of M5/M6 compare to their predecessors) , the weight of these cars is exactly what it has to be. 10% more weight (compare to E6x) is the price of 20% more power and 50% more torque! Yes it's the law of physic...In order to handle 600+ HP and 550+ lb-ft torque of a front engine RWD car compare to 500 HP and 380 lb-ft torque you need to have a heavier car and this is exactly what is missing in F8x M3/M4. That much torque for that light car is a lot. You really cannot use the low end torque. I do not have F8x, but have read many threads and have test driven the car twice both in DSC ON and MDM. Indeed there is not much difference between DSC ON and MDM since DSC is always interfering because of that much torque while in M6 with more torque (as I mentioned before) and more weight, always I drive the car in MDM with no issue except the rainy days and I feel the difference between DSC ON and MDM. M5/M6 are not true track cars while M3/M4 are track cars and that's where you need that torque but as a DD car, I believe something between S55 and S65 is a perfect match for this chassis.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #24
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I do agree with you that M3/M4 are more nimble than M5/M6 and as you said they are designed for different purposes.
As a side note (since many people are referring to heavy weight and large size of M5/M6 compare to their predecessors) , the weight of these cars is exactly what it has to be. 10% more weight (compare to E6x) is the price of 20% more power and 50% more torque! Yes it's the law of physic...In order to handle 600+ HP and 550+ lb-ft torque of a front engine RWD car compare to 500 HP and 380 lb-ft torque you need to have a heavier car and this is exactly what is missing in F8x M3/M4. That much torque for that light car is a lot. You really cannot use the low end torque. I do not have F8x, but have read many threads and have test driven the car twice both in DSC ON and MDM. Indeed there is not much difference between DSC ON and MDM since DSC is always interfering because of that much torque while in M6 with more torque (as I mentioned before) and more weight, always I drive the car in MDM with no issue except the rainy days and I feel the difference between DSC ON and MDM. M5/M6 are not true track cars while M3/M4 are track cars and that's where you need that torque but as a DD car, I believe something between S55 and S65 is a perfect match for this chassis.
Agree....it depends on what the owner wants and is looking for mostly. Each car represents something different in hp/torque, looks, fitment both interior/exterior, and ride dynamics. M5 combines a bit more space and luxury and gives up some performance as the M6 adds more sport and luxury on the same chassis and both are great autobahn stormers able to handle great speed and luxury and even some track dynamics thrown at them when asked. But neither are built for it routinely or primarily...sort of like the X5M/X6M who you can take on a track and be amazed that it doesn't fling itself off in turns or just implode..but should they be dedicated track vehicles and driven in such a manner daily/routinely. I'd say not unless you own a BMW dealership or are great friends with your independent/service mgr oh and have your insurance paid up BOTH auto and life.

The M3/M4 are more comfortable on the track due to their dynamics and build as well as design. More nimble and now with the new versions more torque than probably the MDM can handle at times. Many folks do say that is the problem...traction with the car to some which folks are fixing with sway bars and other mods. Driving dynamics are improved and for once it looks like they didn't make the F8x hugely larger than its predecessors in an effort to remember that weight is the enemy mostly of performance. Yes you can add torque and hp and solve some of it with electronics but at a cost to the overall design at some point. So its nice that BMW did remember that with this design I think.

As their model line expands...waiting to see the M4 GC and X4M they soon will have a line/product that caters to each buyers particular needs. So going from a 4 to a 6 or 6 to a 5 or even an X or vice versa ultimately becomes a personal issue that combines buyers needs, driving habits/style, preferences, and oh yeah how much of their soul they want to sell to BMW (aka the old wallet transfer!)
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #25
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Looking at a 650i X coupe (not gran) and wonder if any one on here can comment on the seating position of the coupe versus the 5 series. Does the 6 have a "step down" feel to get into the seat or more "step in" feel?

Basically, has anyone compared the seat height level to a 5 series or other cars? Appreciate the thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #26
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

The 6 is definitely lower. Nominal H-point is about 3 inches lower, but it of course depends where you put the seat. I would say I feel like I am stepping down slightly into the 6, but not as much as say a Corvette. But I have my seat pretty much bottomed out. With the 5 I feel like I am stepping in.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi
Looking at a 650i X coupe (not gran) and wonder if any one on here can comment on the seating position of the coupe versus the 5 series. Does the 6 have a "step down" feel to get into the seat or more "step in" feel?

Basically, has anyone compared the seat height level to a 5 series or other cars? Appreciate the thoughts.
Lower most definitely. You step in a a sit down and lower in the 6. Seats are comfortable but could be better. Some like those in the 5 more as they seem to have more padding/support. However the Sports seats in the M3/M4 beat them by miles. No comparison as far as being comfortable and sporty with great support. Always felt as if there was something lackin in that area in both 5 and 6 series. But yes definitely a lower driving position in both 6 coupe and GC. GL
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #28
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
And the vert!
Feel way lower getting in than in my previous 5 ( though that was a GT and hardly comparable). But def down into my vert.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #29
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Lower most definitely. You step in a a sit down and lower in the 6. Seats are comfortable but could be better. Some like those in the 5 more as they seem to have more padding/support. However the Sports seats in the M3/M4 beat them by miles. No comparison as far as being comfortable and sporty with great support. Always felt as if there was something lackin in that area in both 5 and 6 series. But yes definitely a lower driving position in both 6 coupe and GC. GL
Sorry my friend, as much as I agree with you about the track oriented, sportiness and nimbleness of M3/M4, I completely disagree about yoyur comment on seats. The supper nice seat on 6 series if is not the best, it is one of the best seat in current BMW line-up. The reason M3/M4 do not have this seat is 1. cost, 2. weight. There is no way those seats can beat 6 er seats and even compete with them. Even the quality of 6 er seats is completely superior. Yeah you may like the "look" of M3/M4 seats because they look like race car’s seat, but the performance, the comforty, and even the design (ie the location of seat-belt) of this 20-way power Multi-contour seats with 4-way lumbar support, articulated upper backrest, adjustable backrest width, adjustable thigh support, and Active Head Restraints with adjustable side support plus Active and ventilated option are miles ahead of M3/M4 .... when I got behind the wheel of M3, the first thing disappointed me was the driver's seat... Maybe the M6's seat has spoiled me
You had 6 er for 6 months correct? let's wait for 6 months on your new M3 and then compare the quality at that time
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #30
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
That's why they offer lease programs.. Keeps you in a new car every 3 years and you are paying lower payments than owning one outright. It works for me cause I don't want to buy cars, I want to lease them and give them back, either way you're spending the money so why not do it in a brand new model every time? A car should never be looked at as an investment.
Yes, that's a dilemma (finance vs lease)...I've owned 4 bimmers and sold them all after 2 years or so of driving, with only approx. 15%-20% price drop compared to a brand new one... plus the fact that I saved on taxes buying the next one (convenience trade through a dealer- I brought my own buyer and I get to only pay the difference on taxes on the new vehicle- that has always been another $5-6 k worth of saving)...
So finance has been good to me...can't imagine paying for something I don't own...but that's just me talking.
but I understand your point as well...it's nice to have a new one every 3 years...
I've done the same believe it or not through financing, but I had control over my asset and decision...I sell it when I want to and keep it when I want...I've kept them all less than 3 years and didn't have to worry about mileage limit, accidents, wear & tear, etc. and sold it extremely well, every time...BMW's are generally a car that don't sit too long in your driveway, if you want to sell...The key though is that you need to keep your car in a shipshape condition so the first buyer takes it without haggling...my cars have always been like that...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #31
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Sorry my friend, as much as I agree with you about the track oriented, sportiness and nimbleness of M3/M4, I completely disagree about yoyur comment on seats. The supper nice seat on 6 series if is not the best, it is one of the best seat in current BMW line-up.
Not that we ever disagree

However, I personally believe the seats in my 6GC are some of the worst seats in the BMW line-up (they are without a doubt the worst seats I've personally ever had in any of my BMWs). There are numerous people here complaining about how bad they are in terms of comfort. Maybe the Coupe has better seats?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #32
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

6 and 6GC have the same seats, but the Ms are different. Same articulation, but different STO.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #33
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Not that we ever disagree

However, I personally believe the seats in my 6GC are some of the worst seats in the BMW line-up (they are without a doubt the worst seats I've personally ever had in any of my BMWs). There are numerous people here complaining about how bad they are in terms of comfort. Maybe the Coupe has better seats?
Disagree
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #34
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Disagree
I think it is the M6/M5 seats cause my 6 series seats were okay but not great...I do enjoy the M3/M4 sport seats better. As for ventilated option...shyt have had them in actually in a few cars and sorry I cannot for the life of me see the utility. Had them in a Panamera, a Cayenne, and my 650ix GC and I am sorry but never had my rear soo hot that I needed to soothe it with cool air ventilation from the seat. Now glad to see heated seats as standard in the M3! Man I use that on a regular basis in ALL my vehicles. But hey to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #35
jwblack750
MBACPA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 640xi Gran Coupe

Funny, because we have both cars. My wife drives a '14 435xi and I have a '14 640xi. I love, love, love the 640. The 435 feels more like a sports car, and it sounds better, imho (but, I think the '15 640 comes with the performance exhaust standard).

Here's my general opinions:

Fit and finish: Hands down 640 winner

Sporty feeling: 435

Acceleration: Seems pretty even, but I have a JB4 in my 640

Cornering: 435, but the 640 handles surprisingly well

Cool factor: I feel like a million bucks driving the 640, and it gets tons of looks

Trade-in risk: I would definitely want something different if I had a 435 for a while, but I feel like I could drive my 640 for a decade and still be thrilled to get in it

Cockpit: Seats in the 640 are amazing, and you really do feel like you're sitting in a fighter jet or something

Wife's thoughts: She thinks my car is awesome, but she prefers a smaller car, and she thinks my car feels huge, which it kind of does

I'm not a very technical car guy, so I can just give you the subjective thoughts above. But, I think it comes down to whether you are more interested in the driving experience or the aesthetic experience. Feel free to ask any specific questions you have.

Last edited by jwblack750; 03-06-2015 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #36
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. It's a bit of a funny story - bought a 428i and drove it for a month, was happy with it, but couldn't get the 6 out of my head...so I am picking up a 640i this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #37
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Good for you!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #38
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
I have a 4 gran coupe and a M6 gran coupe.

Outside of the almost $70k price difference between the two, the 6 is more of a BMW than the 4, but on long hauls Id rather take the 4, cause of the extra trunk/hatch space, but the M6 is on a whole other level.... TOP of the BMW food chain IMO

If you can take the price, get the one you want, but drive em.
interesting on your choice and take of both cars. If they offered the M4 GC would you take it over the M6 GC? Curious as to your thoughts after living with both cars and owning them. I thought the 4 series GC offered the right amount of size and fuel mileage and also driveability versus the 6 series GC chassis which for everyday urban driving and parking proved to be a bit much! Now if I had to valet my car daily and had reserved parking and longer distances to drive (my desk/office is like 20 min max/10 miles max from my door currently) then I may consider it as my old 650ix w/Dinan Stage 1 and Intercoolers really excelled on the freeway and drives between Portland and Seattle..very comfortable. But it was the day-day which was 90+% of my driving that it felt challenged by its environment. I think on the autobahn and in Europe where things are more spread out it would be excellent tho. Just my 2 cents but interested in others options.
Appreciate 1