BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

convertible talk. was going to get a 07/08 335 but considering a 650.

So....Ive been searching high and low for the perfect e93. I have a 02 330cic that I drive in the summer. I am going to sell it, and my daily driver and get 1 car. I was going to get the 335. Im concerned about the turbos though but I have a good deal on an 08 with 35k miles. In the mean time I came across some 650s. The thing is, simialr year and mileage is only a few thousand more. So, I may do an 06/07 6 series convertible instead. What are your thouhts comparing the 2 cars? My only experiece is my friends 2013 m6 convertible which isnt a fair comparison but a pretty sweet car. How reliable is the v8 vs the turbo 6, and overall when comparing the 2 what are pros/cons? Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
So....Ive been searching high and low for the perfect e93. I have a 02 330cic that I drive in the summer. I am going to sell it, and my daily driver and get 1 car. I was going to get the 335. Im concerned about the turbos though but I have a good deal on an 08 with 35k miles. In the mean time I came across some 650s. The thing is, simialr year and mileage is only a few thousand more. So, I may do an 06/07 6 series convertible instead. What are your thouhts comparing the 2 cars? My only experiece is my friends 2013 m6 convertible which isnt a fair comparison but a pretty sweet car. How reliable is the v8 vs the turbo 6, and overall when comparing the 2 what are pros/cons? Thanks guys!
I would look towards an '09 e93 335i personally. The '09 features the new CIC iDrive unit that is massively improved. You can also upgrade your unit with a combox so you can stream live music, etc.etc.

My e93 m3 was a '08 and the CCC nav is absolutely horrible. You will still have the twin turbo n54 motor, as opposed to the newer single twinscroll n55, but the UI update is a massive improvement.

I did have some wastegate rattle issues and eventual oil seal failure on the journal bearings of one of my turbos, but I was running FBO putting down around 400rwhp.

I would not be overly concerned with the turbo's or HPFP failures. The HPFP will be replaced free of charge should anything occure with a 10yrs/100k warranty and it likely already been replaced once.

They are pretty reliable cars, those two issues aside, I loved my e93 m3, and while you wont have the same glorious exhaust/engine note, performance will be very close.

I personally think the old 6 series look tired, while the 3's still look fairly fresh.

BTW. I've had a e46 M3 vert, e92 335i (n54), e93 M3, and now a F06 GranCoupe 640i (n55).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

The 3 series a 50kish car is plentiful, looks great, always a top choice and is tough to go out of style. Cost to work on it, not to bad.
old 6 series 90kish car, bland big car look imo, horrible resale (as you can see with the current pricing). Something goes wrong, it requires low production 90kish car parts to fix!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
zeelimit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i convertible

Go with the 6

Last year I traded a 2011 328i for 2009 650i (both convertibles). The six is a far superior car (especially in handling and comfort). Biggest downside to the six is the back seat is unusable for human beings with legs and the three can be used for short drives. But the trade off is the six has enough storage space to go on a week or two vacation, while the three is good for a Weekend case.

The six shares many parts with the five series so parts will generally not be a problem.
Appreciate 0