F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Who Needs Estoril Blue II when there's Tanzanite Blue
Studio RSR

06-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

In my mind, the tanzanite blue is a more "classy" color, whereas the estoril is more "sporty". Both of them are beautiful.
      06-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
That was actually a really good answer. I guess I don't seem that much value in the color of a car since it will only make me more paranoid about driving it. Like you said, life is short, and I prefer driving to worrying about parking far enough away and getting rock chips on my expensive paint.

Regardless, make sure you post pictures up because I think it's a beautiful color
Haha that was a good answer indeed. In the grand scheme of things, it probably comes down to overprotectiveness during honeymoon periods. Just like when you buy a new smartphone and you buy a case-- you are extremely protective of it for the first few months. Eventually, your case gets scratches and you realize (if you didn't already realize before) that your phone looks better with it off. You still love your phone, but now it's all of the sudden okay for the case to come off, or for you to be a little bit less paranoid about it in general. Similarly, at one point or another, you'll realize that you will inevitably get chips or small scratches on your car, but it won't change that overall, you are still extremely proud/happy to see it and drive in it every day-- I think that's where I would go the extra mile (if within my means) to get a unique set-up like ZMM was saying; because the little things are what make us happy right? To each his own! I don't know if I agree with BMW throwing around the M badge, however, but it does generate a lot of money for them.

Best,
crow
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
... Regardless, make sure you post pictures up because I think it's a beautiful color
Trust me, there will be pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
In my mind, the tanzanite blue is a more "classy" color, whereas the estoril is more "sporty". Both of them are beautiful.
Agreed. Both are great choices. I was planning to put the black kidneys on the car and think they might go better with Estoril due to the contrast. Guess we'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
... In the grand scheme of things, it probably comes down to overprotectiveness during honeymoon periods. Just like when you buy a new smartphone and you buy a case-- you are extremely protective of it for the first few months.
When I first got the e46, I actually made more than a few friends take off their shoes! Nowadays, I toss my biking gear in the car, leave a few drops of Gatorade on the 'ette, and say, "Meh... I'll clean it later." Ah, how times have changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #26
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerswede View Post
I ordered a tanzanite blue 328i F31 with m sport package last week. I haven't seen the color other than in the web configurator and the shots of the BMW 6 series that was referred to earlier in the thread. I really hope it is as nice in reality as I think it is. As for the interior, I chose alcantara/cloth.

In Sweden, the price for tanzanite blue is 19 000 SEK inkl. VAT (1700 GBP or 2700 USD).

The car is supposed to be delivered by September.

If anyone have more pics of the Tanzanite blue, it would be appreciated

I cant wait to see your car. I wish we could spec alcantara in the States
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I cant wait to see it. Just as a point of reference I had an e92 M3 painted Barbera red for a customer and that alone was $3,500. The indivdual paint with interior will run 8-10K for sure. It cost about 11K plus on a 750li I sold as well. Deep Sea blue with Champagne (Stunning BTW)
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
I cant wait to see it. Just as a point of reference I had an e92 M3 painted Barbera red for a customer and that alone was $3,500. The indivdual paint with interior will run 8-10K for sure. It cost about 11K plus on a 750li I sold as well. Deep Sea blue with Champagne (Stunning BTW)
I always liked Barbera Red. I bet it must've been stunning on an M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
...If, OTOH, I walk away from the car and can't help but look back (which I still do with my Topaz e46), then it's worth spending the money. Life is short. The car represents a major investment of cash. I (and everybody here) should buy something they're thrilled about and enjoy it every day.
Couldn't agree more. I have a base F30 in Imperial Blue...my first Bimmer. All I want to do is drive the car. I think it's the best car in the lot at my work! I can't wait to wash/detail it so it will look brand new all over again. I know this feeling will fade with time. Or maybe not...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
Couldn't agree more. I have a base F30 in Imperial Blue...my first Bimmer. All I want to do is drive the car. I think it's the best car in the lot at my work! I can't wait to wash/detail it so it will look brand new all over again. I know this feeling will fade with time. Or maybe not...
Congrats on the car! Don't be surprised if that feeling doesn't fade. I still love polishing my e46 to a mirror finish, even after 11 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I was doing some further sleuthing to find out more about Tanzanite Blue and came across the attached "real life" shots.

This is WAY darker than I thought from the "showroom" shots taken at Geneva and it looks a lot like Imperial Blue. Looks like you were right, crowed. Too dark for my tastes.

Guess I'm back to Estoril. On the plus side, looks like I might save some $$ on the exterior. I'm still not ruling out that Individual interior, though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #32
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

I was doing some further sleuthing to find out more about Tanzanite Blue and came across the attached "real life" shots.

This is WAY darker than I thought from the "showroom" shots taken at Geneva and it looks a lot like Imperial Blue. Looks like you were right, crowed. Too dark for my tastes.

Guess I'm back to Estoril. On the plus side, looks like I might save some $$ on the exterior. I'm still not ruling out that Individual interior, though.
Wow if that is TB, it looks almost exactly like IB! Not that it's a bad color, but I feel the EB stands out a bit more when it comes to appreciating a truly unique blue color. Either way you can't go wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
That looks sweet to me, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Estoril will be on my car, nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Does anyone know for sure, is Tanzanite Blue similar to Imperial Blue (except more iridescent, with bigger metallic flakes)?

Or is it a lighter shade -- almost like Deep Sea Blue?

Very few photos are on-line yet, and the few examples under indoor halogen lighting are never reliable. The configurator is obviously not much help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #35
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
Wow if that is TB, it looks almost exactly like IB! Not that it's a bad color, but I feel the EB stands out a bit more when it comes to appreciating a truly unique blue color. Either way you can't go wrong
Right. Neither is a "bad" color. I guess I was just hoping that Tanzanite was more of a medium shade. It would be nice to have something in the palette along the lines of Interlagos, Le Mans, Deep Sea, Topaz, or Avus blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #36
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
I ordered a tanzanite blue 328i F31 with m sport package last week. I haven't seen the color other than in the web configurator and the shots of the BMW 6 series that was referred to earlier in the thread. I really hope it is as nice in reality as I think it is. As for the interior, I chose alcantara/cloth.

In Sweden, the price for tanzanite blue is 19 000 SEK inkl. VAT (1700 GBP or 2700 USD).

The car is supposed to be delivered by September.

If anyone have more pics of the Tanzanite blue, it would be appreciated

You've got good taste!! I would have choosen the same thing if the F31 was made available 6 month ago...

... Your F31 TB M-sport would totally rock my boat!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

After a few weeks of umming and ahhing I have finally decided to swap from the Estoril to the Tanzanite blue. As if that wasn't enough I went for the Cashmere beige leather and also the high gloss black interior. It may have added a huge chunk of cash onto the budget but I reckon it's going to be worth it!

Just need to tell the wife now.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
After a few weeks of umming and ahhing I have finally decided to swap from the Estoril to the Tanzanite blue. As if that wasn't enough I went for the Cashmere beige leather and also the high gloss black interior. It may have added a huge chunk of cash onto the budget but I reckon it's going to be worth it!

Just need to tell the wife now.....
LOL! You might have to add some more cash to the budget to reserve a hotel room if the wife is unhappy with your planned purchase configuration.

Though I've decided against Tanzanite, I do think it'll be a great combo and look forward to seeing your pics. In particular, I'm really curious to see some real-life pics of the Cashmere Beige interior. When is your estimated delivery date?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
LOL! You might have to add some more cash to the budget to reserve a hotel room if the wife is unhappy with your planned purchase configuration.

Though I've decided against Tanzanite, I do think it'll be a great combo and look forward to seeing your pics. In particular, I'm really curious to see some real-life pics of the Cashmere Beige interior. When is your estimated delivery date?
I'm sure she'll be fine, although I reckon I'll wait until she sees it before I slip into the conversation just how much it cost

My delivery isn't due until September 3rd so an agonising 2 months to go. It's already been on order for nearly 6 weeks and in that time I think I've added at least one new option each week
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
bimmerswede
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 -09

Too dark...?

Thanks for your replies, I will post some pictures once delivered!

I must say that I also am a bit concerned about the pictures from ZMM_OMG.. I had hoped the color would be a bit brighter.

I guess there will be more photos online soon - keep 'em coming!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #41
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your replies, I will post some pictures once delivered!

I must say that I also am a bit concerned about the pictures from ZMM_OMG.. I had hoped the color would be a bit brighter.

I guess there will be more photos online soon - keep 'em coming!
Yeah, I was surprised at how dark it appears as well. If you want to see some more examples, google "Tanzanite Blue 650i" It'll turn up examples of cars that have arrived at dealerships in a wide variety of lighting conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
bimmerswede
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 -09

Quote:

When Googling Tanzanite blue, some of the cars in the results are San Marino Blue, some are Tanzanite blue and some are Deep Sea Blue. My guess is that the first of your three pictures is Deep Sea Blue, and the other two are Tanzanite blue.

Deep Sea Blue:

Last edited by bimmerswede; 07-04-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
When Googling Tanzanite blue, some of the cars in the results are San Marino Blue, some are Tanzanite blue and some are Deep Sea Blue. My guess is that the first of your three pictures is Deep Sea Blue, and the other two are Tanzanite blue.
Yeah, the searches turn up a lot of different colors, but that really dark shot was definitely taken of a Tanzanite Blue car. It was from a dealer listing similar to this one: http://www.mikesmithdirect.com/detai...LZ3C54CDL73404
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
mmanes1
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30-320D SPORT

great cars... looks very nice...

Appreciate 0