BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Rear wheel offset and rubbing

See a lot of people asking about offsets and wheel sizes. And if they will end up rubbing or not. Well if you use any website to calculate the offset for different size widths like willtheyfit.com you can use my experience to help.

I had a 10" rear made and we went with what I thought would a good offset 33. Tad aggressive but good for a daily driver. Had some rubbing up hills and big bumps. Figured when I lowered it, there might some extra camber to rid it. But it was still there

Tires cleared when I compressed suspension when I parked one side of car on an incline. Then I figured out where it was rubbing. It's where the fender and rear bumper meet. Seems the fender at that point is changing direction and the underside where it's rolled is thicker cause it's 2 like rolled edgess right next to each. Couple mm's but enough to make or break wheel fitment for some of you guys. I'm running a wider wheel than usually 285/30/20 Hankook vs a 275. So running a 275 might not cause it to rub.

This is on coilovers with a very agggresive drop. Will probably raise it a tad if it doesn't go away with the tire wear at the rubbing point. Can post pics of any one wants them.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps some of you when deciding a good rear offset.
Appreciate 0