BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

What is this instrument display all about?

the "analogue" display under the speedo as catagorised by the setting on Idrive that turns it off.

According to the owners manual it's some kind of range indicator.

The number displayed doesn't corollate at all with the range figure on the OBC, it's much lower andthe bar underneath is sitting on 3/4 abouts, while the proper fuel gauge shows a virtually full tank.

Please can someone explain what I'm missing/what this actually does?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
On my U.S. 650i GC, the gauge under the speedo is a range gauge. As the gas tank gets more empty, the gauge moves left in the same direction as the gas gauge. But the scale of the range gauge is different than the gas gauge.

I don't know how the metric gauge is marked, but in the U.S., the midpoint of the gauge is marked as 200 miles. Therefore, "full" on the gauge is 400 miles. When I fill up the gas tank there's about 310 miles of range. So the gauge is at 3/4 and slowly moves toward 0.

If you press the button on the end of the turn signal, a different number will show up above that gauge. One of the numbers will have an arrow before it which represents the distance until empty. That number should match the value in the analog gauge. It's important to look at the number in the middle of the gauge to understand what units the gauge is in.
Appreciate 0