BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

F13 Coupe Rear Rattle / Parcel Shelf?

I've noticed an annoying knocking / rattle when driving over rough road surfaces, or lateral bumps. It seems more like trim than suspension, but have been trying to narrow it down. I've isolated the boot floor using cushioning to rule that out, but when cleaning the inside rear window, noticed the parcel shelf when tapped, seems to sound very similar.

Not being able to see how to remove it, I accessed the underside from the two openings in the boot, and there is simply a void between the shelf and the boot roof metal, with insulation either side, and a few stacks of insulation that cross the void to support the shelf maybe.

Having only a couple new large car sponges to hand, I've folded them and inserted them in the void, with the hope of giving more support to the shelf and see if this reduces the rattle.

Anyone else had this sort of noise, and done anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Apr1962
Rep
Drives: 640D

The rattles I have had have been the unoccupied passenger seat. My F12 did it and now my F06 has started.

Seats seem a very poor design. I'm expected my drivers seat to start rocking next which was happened to my F12
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

I had a passenger seat knock, occupied or not, which was stopped by applying some thick grease to the under workings, especially on the rubbing parts.

The sponge fix hasn't removed the rear rattle, so I'm back to thinking it's the top mounts or the actual suspension, as some do say the electronic dampers make this noise. Plenty of complaints from other series of BMW with these dampers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
a1rtran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 640i

I believe I have the same issue. Clunking rattling noise from top suspension driver rear. It's so annoying. Have you figured out a solution? It seems to be getting worst. Drives gone tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Not yet, but it will go in for a service and inspection soon. I may try more sponge inside the parcel shelf though, as if you get in the back and tap the shelf lightly it sounds somewhat similar. A hollow thud.
Appreciate 0