BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Common issues or favourite things

What are the favourite things about your 640d?

And what are those most common reported issues or gripes that you have come across?

Shooting a video next week. The only issue I have found is the parking it one in UK spaces or car parks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch
What are the favourite things about your 640d?

And what are those most common reported issues or gripes that you have come across?

Shooting a video next week. The only issue I have found is the parking it one in UK spaces or car parks
I love everything about mine. Just can't fault it
My only gets parked on end bays if any lol
My roof bars aka the ones that run either side of the roof bubble so mine is with Bmw now getting replaced under warranty.
      06-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
chris.t
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640d msport

Garage List
Love everything about mine, have a couple of niggles ( flickering idrive screen and creaky drivers seat) which i will get sorted out when it goes in for service or if they really annoy me sooner.

Present 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Mine has been in for the drip rail to be replaced and found one cut in the one tyre (tyre seem a familiar problem for the ones running 20's).

Overall I love mine it feels a cut above interior wise many of the lower series cars, I must admit I disliked the interior even on the M3/4 as it still felt cheaper than the 6...even the F10 we had when mine was in felt horrible.

I do love mine for all it's faults, and today I finally I found the service dipstick on the N57 engine in my 6....

Last edited by NINJA59; 06-26-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Niggles
1. Front seat rails wear on some cars after about 30k miles causing a knocking noise in the seats as you corner. Mine were replaced under warranty
2. Front seat belts are very tight across my shoulder. I use one of those belt stops to take the strain to keep it comfortable. Not exactly elegant but it does teh job
3. Some have reported rattling seat belt inertia reels under the seat
4. It's easily the most difficult car to park that I have ever owned or driven. Parallel parking is especially hazardous because all round visibility is particularly poor. I have a reverse camera which helps a little but not surround view, sadly
5. Soft close doors are lovely, but why not the boot lid too? Boot lid remains an old-fashioned hard slam.
6. Run flat tyres. Ugh. Now fixed with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
7. Impossible to avoid regularly scuffing the alloys, especially front kerbside
8. CIC iDrive is slow to respond to commands. The newer NBT system seems much more responsive
9. CIC iDrive does not properly integrate with iPhones for email. Only for SMS
10. Voice commands rarely works properly. In phonebook when I speak a name to dial, it invariably suggests the wrong one.

But all this is forgiven because
1. It just looks so good from any angle
2. Even after nearly 2 years of owning it, it still always makes me smile when I give it a bit of hardfootdown.

BTW, a diagnosed my flickering iDrive screen. It only flickers on mine if i stick my iPhone in the cupholder well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
Niggles
4. It's easily the most difficult car to park that I have ever owned or driven. Parallel parking is especially hazardous because all round visibility is particularly poor. I have a reverse camera which helps a little but not surround view, sadly
5. Soft close doors are lovely, but why not the boot lid too? Boot lid remains an old-fashioned hard slam.
6. Run flat tyres. Ugh. Now fixed with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
7. Impossible to avoid regularly scuffing the alloys, especially front kerbside

But all this is forgiven because
1. It just looks so good from any angle
2. Even after nearly 2 years of owning it, it still always makes me smile when I give it a bit of hardfootdown.

BTW, a diagnosed my flickering iDrive screen. It only flickers on mine if i stick my iPhone in the cupholder well.
Totally agree about the parking issue, fortunatlely I have surround view and it makes a huge difference.
Know what you mean about the tyres, my 2011 1 year old AUC came with 20" wheels, I hated the crashy ride and lacklustre steering. That and the kerbing issue was sorted by switching to 18" non-RFTs.
Another niggle for me is the reversing light, or should I say the lack thereof - reckon I'd get a better view if I stuck a candle on the back bumper! I've got a new car coming in a few weeks and I'm hoping they might have improved them with the 2015 LCI.

However, all negated as per your last two points. I've been looking to change for the past 18 months and couldn't find anything better. My new car is coming with 18" rims and I'll be refitting the original 20s before trading in. Fortunalely my 18" Conti Sport Contact 5 tyres are virtually new so I'll be fitting them ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

Unfortunately the candle is still standard on 2015 gc LCI...
Appreciate 0