BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Child seats F06 GC

I've got a GC with sports seats that gives quite a wedge of a headrest on the rear seats. My kids child seats fit like crap and was wondering if anyone has found a car seat for kids 3+ that don't have a big air gap between the back of the seat due to the top of the seat sitting on the headrest of the seat.

My daughter's seat is maxi cossi of some sort with isofix. Any recommendations? Booster seat won't cut it with the wife so that's a non starter.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I haven't tried putting the car seat in my 650xi GC yet, but I was thinking the seat may be a problem. Looks like the seat sinks in quite a lot in the center, and most car seat bases would probably dig-in and sit more on those bolstered edges of the seat cushion - wondering if they may also do harm.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Child seats definitely don't fit well. When I have to do it, I always take an older coat or sweatshirt, fold it in half, and put it between the leather and the carseat. This eats up some of the gap under the middle of the carseat, and protects the leather around the perimeter where pressure of the carseat will rest. Generic seat protectors are available to buy at baby stores if you prefer. The headrests on my F06 don't mate up with our carseats very well, but its good enough that we feel its safe... and its not an everyday thing anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Gwaxman34
Rep
Drives: 11x35i SA

I have Clek Foonf in mine. Sits pretty flush against the back at a nice angle. Anchor goes over headrest and holds it snug.

Edit: I gues "flush" was incorrect but it fits pretty well with the top being flush and the bottom secure on the mat.

Last edited by Gwaxman34; 03-12-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Child seats definitely don't fit well. When I have to do it, I always take an older coat or sweatshirt, fold it in half, and put it between the leather and the carseat. This eats up some of the gap under the middle of the carseat, and protects the leather around the perimeter where pressure of the carseat will rest. Generic seat protectors are available to buy at baby stores if you prefer. The headrests on my F06 don't mate up with our carseats very well, but its good enough that we feel its safe... and its not an everyday thing anyway...
While I haven't tried it yet, this is what I imagine needing to do - I'm concerned the edges of the base would dig into the heavily bolstered seat bottoms. Our toddler typically rides in my wife's SUV, but I'm expecting we'll need to bring mine every so often somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
PIR3lly
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix

I'm using a Maxi-Cosi 2wayFix base, together with a Pebble Plus (for babies up to 1 year) and a 2wayPearl (from 1 till about 4 years).
The base looks like this:

It keeps nicely clear of the seat with isofix.

The 2wayPearl can be rotated to drive babies until 15 months in the opposite direction. From 15 months, they can be seated normally.
It has three positions, when attached to the base. One sitting backwards, for resting or sleeping:

In this position it's a tight fit, toutching the headrest.

In it's normal position, it stays clear of the seats (the third position is the middle of the two):

So, for up to about 4 years, this is a perfect solution. Unfortunately I have no idea how seats for children from 3,5/4 years until 12 work out in the 6GC and I would also be very interested in what kind of child seat I can use after this.

Last edited by PIR3lly; 03-13-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Cheers for the responses, I'd never heard of clek foonf but on googling it looked like it was for the US market. The bmw accessories page has the f06 listed for the group 2/3 seat. I may give that a go as the maxi cos I rests on the head rests and makes a very unsettling creaking noise.
Appreciate 0