BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Snap, crackle and pop!

I took delivery of my 2013 M6 F13 01 Sep 12. It spent 11 days under recall downtime. Just prior to and since the recall was accomplished, I have noticed static like snaps coming from the speakers along with crackling static when I adjust the volume. It continues when the radio is turned off. It is intermittent. It appears to be tied to filling up the car with gas. It has occurred now three times in a row after I tanked up the car. Once the car has sat awhile with the vehicle completely off, the problem ceases. My vehicle is not quite six weeks old. I am concerned about some form of static charge build up while fueling. I am unclear as to how serious or dangerous this might be (recall cell phone static discharge igniting fuel tanks during filling a couple years back). It will be adressed at the 1200 mile service. I am simply curious if anyone else has had this issue and whether or not it is a known issue with perhaps other models.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

I have never heard of crackling static/popping being associated with refueling. You said it happens even when the radio/media is off? Is it through any one speaker, particular side, or moves around?
      10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6, 2016 x5m,2019 m5

i picked up my m6 coupe on friday from the dealer and mine is making that noise to i called up the dealer right away and he said he doesnt know y its doing that. so im bringing my car back next week to check it out..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
I have never heard of crackling static/popping being associated with refueling. You said it happens even when the radio/media is off? Is it through any one speaker, particular side, or moves around?
I've never had anything like this before either. As for the refueling, it may just be a coincidence but the last two times happened after I refueled. The first time I'm not sure. It has happened three times now. The sound comes from all the front speakers. I assume they are coming from the others as well. At first, I thought bugs were just hitting my windshield until it began to increase. When I went to turn the radio down to hear it better, the dial knob caused the static noise. I turned the radio off and it persisted. I believe that is because I just put it in a mute state. I do not believe you can actually shut it off completely. Rather it goes into a standby mode. It is going in next week for its 1200. It will be looked into then. Otherwise, I have no other issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
I've never had anything like this before either. As for the refueling, it may just be a coincidence but the last two times happened after I refueled. The first time I'm not sure. It has happened three times now. The sound comes from all the front speakers. I assume they are coming from the others as well. At first, I thought bugs were just hitting my windshield until it began to increase. When I went to turn the radio down to hear it better, the dial knob caused the static noise. I turned the radio off and it persisted. I believe that is because I just put it in a mute state. I do not believe you can actually shut it off completely. Rather it goes into a standby mode. It is going in next week for its 1200. It will be looked into then. Otherwise, I have no other issues.
Usually static like that is a grounding issue probably with the amp. Maybe a wire in the harness was crimped by accident and you are getting some interference. I've had similiar issues with aftermarket stereo installs and relocating the grounding point fixed it for me. Could even be an issue with the amp, which I hope that it's that because thats an easier fix. Just pluck and chuck for the dealer than to trouble shoot the endless cable runs in a high tech vehicle.
      10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

It is going in to the dealer tomorrow for its 1200. Thanks for your input. Makes sense. I'll update you on how it turns out in case others run into this problem. Looks like someone else already has. I hope it is not a common problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

I got the car back from the dealer. All went well with the 1200mile checkup. They were unable to reproduce the snap, crackle and pop problem. Of course. Typical on intermittent problems. They never seem to show up when you need them to. In any event they made a case file and sent it off to BMW to work on. If this occurs with others, the problem will likely become more well defined.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds good. Hopefully the glitch never returns and was cleared up during the service. Feel any difference with the butt dyno?
      10-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Question holy crackle Batman!

I am sorry for your static issue. Could it have anything to do with the engine sounds that are supposed to come thru the speakers?
      11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed BMW Viscous View Post
I am sorry for your static issue. Could it have anything to do with the engine sounds that are supposed to come thru the speakers?
I did think about that. However, I do not believe the M6 have the pseudosound. It would explain alot. I also believe it may be a short. So far, have not been able to reproduce since before the service. I am counting my blessings. When it occurred it was extremely annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Sounds like the radio RCA leads are shorting on something or there is an earthing issue somewhere

BMW should be able to resolve easily or take it to a hi end sound shop to check it out
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Happened again today. This time it did not occur after refueling at a gas station. Instead it occurred after stopping at a hardware store across the street from the gas station it occurred previously! Now I am wondering if there is something in this area triggering this problem. Otherwise, it has not occurred. I am compiling data such as location, date times etc. Dealer still has no info for me. Now, it has become intriguing. It does not appear to be causing major issues. I pulled over, turned off the vehicle and waited several minutes and the problem resolved. I will track the time it takes to recover.

Is there a pseudosound generator in these cars like the M5? This is the only way I can think of that this continues after I turn off the radio.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

I got the crackle.....

posted this in another thread....

I just picked up my M6 coupe yesterday and have already heard the same / crackle form the speakers. Sounds like grit and sand hitting the car,,,

We should group together and get BMW investigate this fault and issue a fix notice.
I have no interest in taking it to a dealer and have then rip the car apart trying to find the cause. Bottom line; its a $110k + car and BMW solve this asap.

As so many of us have had this issue I'd bet it's most probably present in all M6 coupes...
Anyone with a vert have the same issue?

Also, maybe coincidence but I only noticed this after I started messing around getting bluetooth audio to work...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Now that I am hearing multiple other individuals with this issue, I believe BMW will need to address it. I also thought bugs, sand or some other particles were hitting my windshield when I first encountered. When I went to turn the sound down to hear it better is when I heard the crackle static. It was volume related. Fortunately for me it is infrequent. It remits if I stop the car, shut it off for a few minutes then restart. I drove with it for awhile to see if would eventually go away and rapidly realized I would go nuts. I will post any new information I receive.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
LTDPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC & 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands
Now that I am hearing multiple other individuals with this issue, I believe BMW will need to address it. I also thought bugs, sand or some other particles were hitting my windshield when I first encountered. When I went to turn the sound down to hear it better is when I heard the crackle static. It was volume related. Fortunately for me it is infrequent. It remits if I stop the car, shut it off for a few minutes then restart. I drove with it for awhile to see if would eventually go away and rapidly realized I would go nuts. I will post any new information I receive.
I have the same problem on my M5, what should we do?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man stonehands, the technician in me is always trying to fix equipment and I hate intermittent bugs. They are always the worse to trouble shoot.

Have you played around with the bluetooth anymore? Checking to see if it only happens on days you synced a phone? Or after hitting any bumps potholes. Do you use the navigation alot? Does it after using nav with route directions or anything?
      11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Man stonehands, the technician in me is always trying to fix equipment and I hate intermittent bugs. They are always the worse to trouble shoot.

Have you played around with the bluetooth anymore? Checking to see if it only happens on days you synced a phone? Or after hitting any bumps potholes. Do you use the navigation alot? Does it after using nav with route directions or anything?
That is a nice graphic you put together. Is that your actual vehicle? Very sharp. I use bluetooth everytime I sync my phone entering the car everyday. Not related as far as I can tell. Not related to bumps or potholes. Does not have the loose wire characteristic. It is more an external interference feel. Has not been related to my NAV. It resembles the static old attenuators make when they develop corrosion on the coil over time. Cleaned up with lectric spray. I have only been able to correlate with location and possibly refueling but it has also occured when not refueling but in the same area. I am checking back with my dealer's master service tech tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a nice graphic you put together. Is that your actual vehicle? Very sharp. I use bluetooth everytime I sync my phone entering the car everyday. Not related as far as I can tell. Not related to bumps or potholes. Does not have the loose wire characteristic. It is more an external interference feel. Has not been related to my NAV. It resembles the static old attenuators make when they develop corrosion on the coil over time. Cleaned up with lectric spray. I have only been able to correlate with location and possibly refueling but it has also occured when not refueling but in the same area. I am checking back with my dealer's master service tech tomorrow.
Thanks, yeah I figure since i have made more than a few random posts I might as well make up a little sig pic to top it off. That is my car just used one pic and made 4 versions of it and then blended them. It's not as elaborate as some but it gets the job done.

Electrical interference sounds interesting, a particuliar area or equipment frequency that your system isn't shielded from. Thats good they have their master tech on the hook. He should be able to come up with a good solution or atlest a good diagnosis.
      11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I figure since i have made more than a few random posts I might as well make up a little sig pic to top it off. That is my car just used one pic and made 4 versions of it and then blended them. It's not as elaborate as some but it gets the job done.

Electrical interference sounds interesting, a particuliar area or equipment frequency that your system isn't shielded from. Thats good they have their master tech on the hook. He should be able to come up with a good solution or atlest a good diagnosis.
I love your humility. Reflects well. I am still trying to figure how to downsize my photo files to be able to post pictures of mine. I'll get it eventually.

Intermittent problems are mind numbing. You just have to wait til it gets bad enough that it declares itself. No matter how sophisticated your diagnostics are there is always the mule. The next generation diagnostic accounts for it only to identify another mule...

Contacted the dealer today. They are now going to take it seriously. The service mgr and master tech are putting together an inquiry to BMW. Squeaky wheel gets greased. I am just glad it happens infrequently. I will update anytime I get any info.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love your humility. Reflects well. I am still trying to figure how to downsize my photo files to be able to post pictures of mine. I'll get it eventually.

Intermittent problems are mind numbing. You just have to wait til it gets bad enough that it declares itself. No matter how sophisticated your diagnostics are there is always the mule. The next generation diagnostic accounts for it only to identify another mule...

Contacted the dealer today. They are now going to take it seriously. The service mgr and master tech are putting together an inquiry to BMW. Squeaky wheel gets greased. I am just glad it happens infrequently. I will update anytime I get any info.
Cool, i would like to hear the conclusion so I can add it to my mental electronic bug database. I hope they do some good troubleshooting and not just pluck and chuck pieces and have you coming back and forth until they find it.

For your pics most of them are in landscape view prob, so as long as you knock the horizontal size down to 1400 wide you should make the forum's size restriction. If not resizing them with ms paint works easy because it automatically degrades the photo some to reduce the file size without any extra input.

If you want to do some "photoshop" stuff without having to buy an expensive program like that, http://pixlr.com/editor/ is a great online editor website to use and it's free...
      11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I had this issue in my new M5 a couple of times. Once you let it sit and restart, the issue goes away. Strange! I do not have the B&O system
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cool, i would like to hear the conclusion so I can add it to my mental electronic bug database. I hope they do some good troubleshooting and not just pluck and chuck pieces and have you coming back and forth until they find it.

For your pics most of them are in landscape view prob, so as long as you knock the horizontal size down to 1400 wide you should make the forum's size restriction. If not resizing them with ms paint works easy because it automatically degrades the photo some to reduce the file size without any extra input.

If you want to do some "photoshop" stuff without having to buy an expensive program like that, http://pixlr.com/editor/ is a great online editor website to use and it's free...
Awesome. I will try it out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0