BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-28-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
xito_a
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi GC

Tpms upgrade

I have a f06 650i built April 2013 and I only have the abs sensors detecting low tires pressure and no actual Tpms system in place. I was wondering if it was as simple as installing sensors into my tires and coding it in BimmerCode? I have turned on the code in BimmerCode for tire pressure but nothing shows confirming I don’t have the sensors however I’m wondering if I need modules and things like that or if they’re already installed and I just need sensors?

If so do you guys recommend oem or aftermarket sensors?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I believe you would need a module (the RDC module). In later TPM/RDC systems the RDC is incorporated into the DSC/ABS module...thus coding to change from the
FTM/RPA system (the one you have) can be upgraded.

You can see in the diagrams below how the sensors in the wheels send data to the RDC module...the RDC module then relays that data that ends up on the iDrive display for Temp & Pressure.

Again, on the 2013 six series...the RDC module is a separate module...thus the coding you read about in some BMWs that didn't come with TPM/RDC originally...can upgrade by coding and then installing the sensors in the wheels.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
xito_a
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi GC

sorry im just a little confused, so i would need the module + everything else or do i just need sensors and coding?

on real oem i put in my vin and one of the wheel parts is this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=36_1605

which is the rdc unit i believe ur talking about however im unsure if realoem gives me my specific specs or just all options avaliable for the build month of my vehicle. When i go into bimmercode it does give me the option to "show tire pressure" (obviously doesn't work because i dont have sensors in the wheels) but that may be a sign that the rdc module is in my vehicle

Last edited by xito_a; 06-29-2023 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:40 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You would need the RDC module, wheel sensors, and coding.

When looking at the part database site (like realoem.com) you have to take note of any additional info that is listed in the supplemental column.

For example, the link you posted does list the RDC module…but it also lists in the supplemental column that you have to have S2VBA=Yes. Since you have the FTM/RPA system instead of the TPM/RDC system…the answer to that question in the supplemental column would be NO (in your case) not YES. So that means that the info listed for that option code does not apply to your car.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0