BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Bryphe
Rep
Drives: 650xi

Front license plate?

Has anyone taken off the front plate on their 6? Did it leave big holes or any damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Most opt out of the dealer putting holes in as these days you can attach a license plate to the tow hook thread with a bracket. You will have at least 2-4 8-10mm holes in the bumper. If you already have a plate and bracket I would leave it, maybe get a Euro plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Even if your state require a front plate, don't mount it. If you get a ticket, slap a USMill bracket and prove to the Judge you fixed it. Then remove it again.

Never mounted front plates before, not sure about holes. I believe there will be.

http://www.usmillworks.com
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Bryphe
Rep

I definitely would've avoided it, if possible. Our state requires front plates so the dealer had already drilled into it before I ever drove it.

I removed the front plate from my previous car (Audi A6) but with that grill, it wasn't even noticeable.

My 650i is white so I think the holes would be pretty obvious.

Bummer!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryphe View Post
I definitely would've avoided it, if possible. Our state requires front plates so the dealer had already drilled into it before I ever drove it.

I removed the front plate from my previous car (Audi A6) but with that grill, it wasn't even noticeable.

My 650i is white so I think the holes would be pretty obvious.

Bummer!
That's crap. If your car was brand new, they don't have the rights to drill into the bumper unless you asked for it. If there are holes, ask them to repair it so you can use the "no drill" brackets.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

The dealer is required by law to put in the plates but you can sign a waiver, tell them you won't take the car with holes in your bumper and you'll go to another dealer, see how fast they draft up that waiver. Next time..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

http://www.hidetheplate.com/ answer to all problems
i have it on my 2014 650 GC... looks amazing...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgcoupe View Post
Those things are pretty cool, but I would stay far away from them if your car is lowered, you'll be losing that entire assembly and your plate.

If you like that kind of stuff you should check out TricPlate for the rear, that system is cool! I don't know if it's worth 500-600 but it's like an LCD screen in front of your plate with a remote that makes the screen go black when you want to hide it for photos, a car show, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Even if your state require a front plate, don't mount it. If you get a ticket, slap a USMill bracket and prove to the Judge you fixed it. Then remove it again.

Never mounted front plates before, not sure about holes. I believe there will be.

http://www.usmillworks.com
Sigh...
I think that is a really bad idea.

Not having a front plate is a reason to get pulled over.

"Did you really just have one beer at the bar sir?"

To me, if you live in a place that requires front plates, either
1. Put one of the tow hook plate mounts on (I personally think they look just terrible on the GC - but that's a personal opinion)
2. Have BMW drill the bumper and put a plate on- if you don't like the way it looks, bitch to your state government.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Sigh...
I think that is a really bad idea.

Not having a front plate is a reason to get pulled over.

"Did you really just have one beer at the bar sir?"

To me, if you live in a place that requires front plates, either
1. Put one of the tow hook plate mounts on (I personally think they look just terrible on the GC - but that's a personal opinion)
2. Have BMW drill the bumper and put a plate on- if you don't like the way it looks, bitch to your state government.
I lived in TX for a little bit, never had my front plate mounted. Some of the BMW members I met down there lived in TX their whole life, didn't have an issue with it. If they did get pulled over, they would tell the cop that they're ordering the bracket in since the old one broke off.

If you drink over the limit and drive, you're an idiot and deserves to be locked up.

If you're a model citizen, you have nothing to worry about. You would get a warning, prove to the judge you have the plate mounted, then do it again until you really get a cheap ticket. It's worth not having the front ugly plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I lived in TX for a little bit, never had my front plate mounted. Some of the BMW members I met down there lived in TX their whole life, didn't have an issue with it. If they did get pulled over, they would tell the cop that they're ordering the bracket in since the old one broke off.

If you drink over the limit and drive, you're an idiot and deserves to be locked up.

If you're a model citizen, you have nothing to worry about. You would get a warning, prove to the judge you have the plate mounted, then do it again until you really get a cheap ticket. It's worth not having the front ugly plate.
And I'm sure you are a model citizen. That said, and my point was clear - you are going to get pulled out of your car, get to do a sobriety test, and get a ticket for not having a plate. Then, if you do something completely idiotic, like remove the plate after you prove you put it on and get another ticket, you are going to get in a lot more trouble and trust me, they will see that you have pulled this stunt before.

As my friend from Texas once said to me "I love this state, they don't pull you over for sh.. Nothing like the other states I've lived in....."

So be careful doling out advice that might (won't) apply to other areas of the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I'm sure you are a model citizen. That said, and my point was clear - you are going to get pulled out of your car, get to do a sobriety test, and get a ticket for not having a plate. Then, if you do something completely idiotic, like remove the plate after you prove you put it on and get another ticket, you are going to get in a lot more trouble and trust me, they will see that you have pulled this stunt before.

As my friend from Texas once said to me "I love this state, they don't pull you over for sh.. Nothing like the other states I've lived in....."

So be careful doling out advice that might (won't) apply to other areas of the country.
Sounds like you're speaking from experience... If not, you watch too much TV.

Your friend and I had different experience in TX. I got my first ticket in 7yrs after being in TX for 3mos, it was something extremely minor (and no, it wasn't because I didn't have my front plates). You will run into a cop who's a d*ck anywhere you live.

Let me revise my advice: If you find yourself driving drunk often, then I do not recommend removing the front plate. Otherwise, your car without the front plate looks nice and may cost you a small ticket. Risk vs reward, your call.

And seriously, people on this forum are old enough to make their own judgement. They're not going to go out to break the law because I gave them advices to do so, c'mon. We take appropriate risk when modifying the car to suit our tastes, which most likely break the law and increase the likelihood of being pulled over (example: tint your windows too dark or remove cat converter or lowered suspension). I share my opinion, you share yours.. There's no right or wrong here.

Last edited by JNoSol; 09-24-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

In California you would be incorrect. Police have to have suspicion of something to pull you out and search you, it cannot be based on not having a front license plate, they can site you for that but cannot accuse you of drunk driving simply because of the plate. I am 32 and have had over 25 traffic violations, most of which I have beaten in the court system. In regards to front license plates you can get that "fix it" ticket as many times as the police would like to give them to you and they are always $25. Now if you're a mule carrying narcotics, I would say put on a front plate to minimize run ins with the law.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
In California you would be incorrect. Police have to have suspicion of something to pull you out and search you, it cannot be based on not having a front license plate, they can site you for that but cannot accuse you of drunk driving simply because of the plate. I am 32 and have had over 25 traffic violations, most of which I have beaten in the court system. In regards to front license plates you can get that "fix it" ticket as many times as the police would like to give them to you and they are always $25. Now if you're a mule carrying narcotics, I would say put on a front plate to minimize run ins with the law.
Thank you. That was my point, police don't just yank you out of your car given you sobriety test b/c you don't have the front tag. They usually give you a warning, which you have to prove that it is fixed (show photo to the judge) or an actual ticket then off you go. If you have a DUI record, then they're more likely to give you the breathalyzer if you look or smell remotely drunk. If you don't have a record, just keep your mouth shut and sign the ticket/warning even if you had a few drinks within the limits.

You're more likely to be pulled over for having dark windows tint, than not having the front tag. Just from experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

So let's get right to the facts...
If you don't like the law, you just don't follow it and pay the fine. Right? Just making sure I have this.

And to be clear, not having a front plate is enough reason to be pulled over in Illinois. I doubt it is reason to search your car (they can always ask). I personally prefer not to be pulled over. Then again, maybe I'm just a law abiding citizen
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So let's get right to the facts...
If you don't like the law, you just don't follow it and pay the fine. Right? Just making sure I have this.

And to be clear, not having a front plate is enough reason to be pulled over in Illinois. I doubt it is reason to search your car (they can always ask). I personally prefer not to be pulled over. Then again, maybe I'm just a law abiding citizen
Be a law abiding citizen and pray that one day some cop doesn't throw a bag of coke in your backseat and throws you in jail for 6 months just because he doesn't like that you have a better car than him. They are still just people, that badge doesn't mean anything to me. I am a good moral abiding citizen that knows right from wrong, laws are for the sheep, bahhhhh bahhhh...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
Jamescc75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 640i Xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:

I took my front plate off of my previous Porsche and now the GC. Ruins the aesthetic to have a front plate. I am a model citizen so not too worried I'm sure I can come with something to tell the cop.

Anyway, there are 2 small holes remaining after I took the license plate bracket off. A body shop can fix this quite easily. I'll keep you posted on what I find
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
Bryphe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescc75
Quote:

I took my front plate off of my previous Porsche and now the GC. Ruins the aesthetic to have a front plate. I am a model citizen so not too worried I'm sure I can come with something to tell the cop.

Anyway, there are 2 small holes remaining after I took the license plate bracket off. A body shop can fix this quite easily. I'll keep you posted on what I find
Got a pic of the bumper with the holes?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #19
AgustaF4M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryphe
Has anyone taken off the front plate on their 6? Did it leave big holes or any damage?
Took mine off...
Will be fixing the F@@@ holes soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
C's Bimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC,'08 M5,'14 958 GTS

US Millworks is the best license plate mount for the tow hook.

Current Garage:
*2015 Singapore Grey F06 M6 Gran Coupe (The Beast)
*2014 Black Cayenne GTS 958 (Wife & Kids Beast)
*2008 Imola Red E60 M5 (My Other Beast)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C's Bimmer View Post
US Millworks is the best license plate mount for the tow hook.
Can that be mounted in such a way to not block the fog lights? the picture on their website shows that it will block at least part of the fog light.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgcoupe
Used this in the past and loved it. You got a pic of it up and stowed away?

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0