BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Stargunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

NYC - potholes torn sidewall on rft and bent rims

Hi All,

So I never bought the tire/wheel insurance when I leased the vehicle.
Bummer.

So just the other day living in NYC car was assaulted by a pothole the size of godzilla which destroyed 1 tire tearing it and damaging the rim.
It also damaged the rear by adding a bubble/nipple to the sidewall and cracking the front bumper and kidney grill.

Good news I have Geico and have been a loyal and accident free driver by Geico for 10 years now. (Thank god)
So I did a bit of research and road hazards are considered no-fault meaning no points or premium increase.
Given that my deductible is $1000 that is still cheaper then even out of pocket expense for a single tire+rim.

Now onto the repair question:
Any recommendations on a place that will replace all 4 tires as 3 have bubbles and 1 is torn beyond repair?
In addition replace or fix all 4 rims?
This is the sport package with 20" wheels.

Please note this recommendation will need to work with Geico and I've already had the estimate quote around $3000.

Lastly I am also hoping they will replace the chrome kidney grill with a high gloss black to match the shadowline exterior.

thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Not sure what dealer in or around NYC would let you drive away with RFTs and no Road Hazard Insurance. I had Geico for my 2 5 series wagons and the 5 GT (don't ask) but when I got the 6 Progressive came in much cheaper. (yes, same coverage). In the past Geico refused to cover the run flats when they burst/ bubbled/ exploded/ or even just picked up a nail. I've had Road Hazard insuranc separately since the first mistake and have always come out ahead.
As far a straightening the rims, Manhattan BMW sends then out to be done. I had 5 so far fixed. I believe they go to NJ.
If Geico's paying, see what they suggest.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Bruh, you need tire and rim ins. on a M5. Especially living in NYC. No brainer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargunz View Post
Hi All,

Bummer.

So just the other day living in NYC car was assaulted by a pothole the size of godzilla which destroyed 1 tire tearing it and damaging the rim.
It also damaged the rear by adding a bubble/nipple to the sidewall and cracking the front bumper and kidney grill.

Good news I have Geico and have been a loyal and accident free driver by Geico for 10 years now. (Thank god)
So I did a bit of research and road hazards are considered no-fault meaning no points or premium increase.
Given that my deductible is $1000 that is still cheaper then even out of pocket expense for a single tire+rim.

Any recommendations on a place that will replace all 4 tires as 3 have bubbles and 1 is torn beyond repair?

Please note this recommendation will need to work with Geico and I've already had the estimate quote around $3000.

Lastly I am also hoping they will replace the chrome kidney grill with a high gloss black to match the shadowline exterior.

thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Bruh, you need tire and rim ins. on a M5. Especially living in NYC. No brainer!
+1 ^ Yes for sure!

I thought this was another one of those dupe and gloop deals car dealers used to do when I first heard of tire insurance 20 years ago - d & g was the term dealers used for undercoating many years ago. Fortunately I thought about some of the potholes we occasionally got around here and opted for it. Without any doubt, it was one of the smartest things I've ever done. Some packages come with a $50 deductible now (I hear - mine didn't) but it's still worth every penny. Think of your current situation - I think the insurance runs around $1,500-2,000 (mine was part of the car deals and don't remember the figures for sure - it probably will vary with area of the country too) and your Geico deductible is $1000. All you would need is one more and you'd be ahead on the deal. That's history now. The question for now is do you think you'll have two more of these during your lease term?

I can't see why they wouldn't let you switch to a black grille. I think they are about the same cost. Why would a dealer care which part was ordered as long as the cost was covered?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

I am also having an issue with one of my tires. I don't know if the wheel is cracked, but I have to basically fill it up with air each day because it loses 15-19 PSI overnight. BMW patched that tire when they were driving it a few months ago and patched it, but a few weeks ago the TPMS light would turn. BMW said they pressure tested/leak tested the tire up to 70 PSI when I took it in for service last week and said it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As I just posted on the "other". Brought the car in this morning: 14 months old, 17.5 K miles, have had rims repaired 5 times and am now getting my NINTH (9) REPLACEMENT TIRE.
Insurance cost ~ $2100.
5 rims repaired @ ~ $ 150 each = $750
9 tires @ ~ $450 each = $ 4050
Total $4800.
So far $2700 ahead.
Better than going to Vegas! (Almost)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargunz View Post
Hi All,

Bummer.

thanks all!!
Sorry to hear about your incident, but I have to ask, how the hell did you damage the kidney grill by hitting a pothole? does not make sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
As I just posted on the "other". Brought the car in this morning: 14 months old, 17.5 K miles, have had rims repaired 5 times and am now getting my NINTH (9) REPLACEMENT TIRE.
Insurance cost ~ $2100.
5 rims repaired @ ~ $ 150 each = $750
9 tires @ ~ $450 each = $ 4050
Total $4800.
So far $2700 ahead.
Better than going to Vegas! (Almost)
So that's not the BMW offered insurance is it? What insurance do you have?

edit - never mind, I see you have Progressive. Did the dealer offer that or were you able to get it direct? Do they prorate the tires? I think that's the nice thing about BMW -they give you a brand new tire as long as it is above minimums - however, they won't fix a rim unless it won't hold air and somebody curbed one of my wheels! (not me!)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Car insurance thru Progressive
Road Hazard sold by Manhattan BMW was thru Allstate. Never had a tire long enough to require prorate!
No deductible. No cap.
And same as BMWs insurance, won't replace a rim as long as it still holds air. Hence the 5 repairs so far.
Believe my SA told me after this winter, Allstate in no longer selling these policies.
Not sure what options are left besides the BMW which was about $2900 when I got mine plus a $50 deductible each time
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
And same as BMWs insurance, won't replace a rim as long as it still holds air. Hence the 5 repairs so far.
Believe my SA told me after this winter, Allstate in no longer selling these policies.
Not sure what options are left besides the BMW which was about $2900 when I got mine plus a $50 deductible each time
So did you have to pay for the fixes? Or does the warranty (including BMW) pay for a fix if the rim is damaged and can't be balanced but still holds air?

and no wonder they are getting out of the business
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haven't paid a penny.
The disadvantage of the Allstate policy originally was that an adjuster had to approve all replacements and repairs. This was only an issue the first time. The car was a week old, Cross Bronx Expressway. Monster pothole. All 4 rims required straightening. Allstate needed to see for themselves 4 one week old bent rims before agreeing to pay for repairs. Took them 3 days to come look and then 2 more days for repair.
Manhattan BMW felt bad having the week old car for a week they gave me a free detailing. (And of course a loaner 3 series during).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Have you looked into filing a claim with the city or entity responsibility for the roadway?

http://time.com/50101/your-city-coul...probably-wont/
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

I just got my 2015 650i. I read these horror stories and wondering what to do as far as tires. I did not get the tire insurance. I have an extra set of wheels and tires (that's my insurance for now) but the second set is also the same Dunlop summer tires. I am considering selling the second set and getting all season/ winter tires and perhaps a bit smaller than 20' rims since I am also in (pothole central) Northern NJ/ Manhattan. Any suggestions?
      04-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitaka View Post
I just got my 2015 650i. I read these horror stories and wondering what to do as far as tires. I did not get the tire insurance. I have an extra set of wheels and tires (that's my insurance for now) but the second set is also the same Dunlop summer tires. I am considering selling the second set and getting all season/ winter tires and perhaps a bit smaller than 20' rims since I am also in (pothole central) Northern NJ/ Manhattan. Any suggestions?
I am a fellow Northern NJer, for the spring - fall, I have 19" (245/45/19) Mich Pilot Super Sports. I have now done 2 winters with the stock 19" Goodyear LS 2 run-craps. I do very little NYC driving. If you are encountering poor roads daily - you may want to consider going with a meatier tire such size such as 245/45/19 or if you want to keep rolling with the 20s then 245/40/20. I keep a space saver spare and pump in the trunk and have AAA along with BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

What is the space saver spare? Can you post a picture?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Is it too late to get the Road Hazard Insurance from your dealer?
If you're driving this car year round in this part of the world, I'd get the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitaka View Post
What is the space saver spare? Can you post a picture?
Here is the one that I have:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F12-KIT.html

I had it mounted to make sure it fit on the GC and it does.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargunz
Hi All,

Bummer.

thanks all!!
The wheel and tire insurance is BMWs admission that current RFTs are flawed.

The low price of the insurance conveys a subsidized premium.

Next, be careful with a standard insurance company. They may view each tire as a separate incident. This would result in 4x deductible.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

Next, be careful with a standard insurance company. They may view each tire as a separate incident. This would result in 4x deductible.
If the policy has a deductible.
My Allstate policy doesn't.
NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES SINCE POLICY PAID FOR!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #20
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

If the policy has a deductible.
My Allstate policy doesn't.
NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES SINCE POLICY PAID FOR!
Wow! You got a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #21
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

And people wondered why I wanted to get a 35 aspect ratio tire.

I think the potholes are like rabbits run amok on ED meds and aphrodisiacs - they are multiplying with wanton abandon.

Several years ago my wife and I were in Tulsa, on our way to pick up our boys at summer camp in Branson MO. On the way out of town on an interstate level highway I hit a pothole that looked more like a crevasse from the glacier period. Not 10 minutes later while we were sitting on the shoulder waiting for a tow truck to get us here comes a road crew filling the holes all along the road with asphalt. No kidding - it was within 10 minutes at the most.

Now it is all over down here. Driving along day or night, these things are well hidden by other road surface disturbances, sometimes filled with rain. Then BANG!! It feels and sounds like you hit a wall at speed. Even if lucky enough that it did not immediately cause a flat there is almost invariably a sidewall bubble. And the repeated freeze thaw cycles we had this past winter are still producing these caverns like crazy. All it takes is a good rain to wash out some of the freeze damage.

For the last several cars I have had I buy the tire and wheel insurance without hesitation - I ask for it if the dealer doesn't mention it. But the way things have been the price is going to go up. When I first bought it the price was like $800-900. Now it's pushing 2 grand. But like several of the posters before me on one car it saved me that and more, and that was on top of the cost of the insurance. They aren't going to keep offering this at the cost of repair and replacement. Insurance companies are in the business of making money too, just like everyone else. Can't say I blame them.

I think the real problem is with the city, county, state and federal government. Of all the things we spend money on they seem to be scrimping on maintaining our roads and bridges. The roads and bridges are a fundamental government function - our safety. IF they are going to build them they need to do it right in the first place. It's been years since I lived in MA, but I distinctly remember going up to NH for foliage, hiking and just hanging around for a weekend in the mountains. Their roads were fabulous; almost like brand new. And talk about the conditions for freeze-thaw problems. I'm sure they will eventually have problems too but I didn't see any in the 11 years I was up there. Everybody ought to be building roads like that and repairing them properly. I've heard they don't even follow federal guidelines around here on the interstates (miss out on some supporting funds too). If true, that's just wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Of my 9 replaced tires, 8 of them were from NYC potholes. The one in Vt (crevasse) was repaired within the week.
The ones in the city I got to know and do my best to avoid. Most of them still exist.
Thank you Mr. DeBlasio, but please let's get rid of those dangerous carriage horses in Central Park. MUCH HIGHER PRIORITY!

Last edited by WWnyc; 04-29-2015 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0