BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Standard dash material?

I've not optioned the leather dash with contrast stitching. The standard spec has stitching and a leather look and feel so what material is it alcantara dakota leather or something else?
      05-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I've never seen an actual name of the material. It has the look of Dakota leather (pebbly ? for lack of a better word), but I don't know if it is actual leather.It's definitely not plastic, like the X5/X6 as, like you said it has stitching, and you can see that it is a sheet of material covering it. It's not alcantara - the suede-like material used on the M Sport roofliner.

I guess it is either Dakota or some type of synthetic leather material.

The first is a close-up I took at the dealership of the non-Nappa, and the second is mine with Nappa and contrast stitching:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Stop it Southern! You're making me regret not getting the leather dash. Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Although I opted for the nappa, there is a whole lot of the 'other' material in the car, so if you've not gone for nappa, I would not worry, it will look great and match the rest of the interior. For me DAB was a much better option.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT
Although I opted for the nappa, there is a whole lot of the 'other' material in the car, so if you've not gone for nappa, I would not worry, it will look great and match the rest of the interior. For me DAB was a much better option.
Yes!!! Exactly why I didn't get the nappa dash (other than the fact that im not a fan of the contrast stitching).
I am really big on consistency and the standard dash seems to flow better with the rest of the interior's materials. Also, not all of the stitching is contrast stitching which I wasn't a fan of either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB1 View Post
I've not optioned the leather dash with contrast stitching. The standard spec has stitching and a leather look and feel so what material is it alcantara dakota leather or something else?
Here's a quick shot taken of the door, although not a great photo (dark and my iPhone won't focus close up) still I hope you can see that most of the door is covered in what I think is the same material as the dash. The bars either side of the windscreen are the same material (sorry not very good on the lingo) I was thinking the other day, the interior may well look better without the nappa.

Hope this helps. I'd certainly not be worried.
Attached Images

Last edited by RDT; 05-14-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Carbon Black 650i M Sport

I have the Nappa dash with contract stitching. I wish I had the stock dash. That dakota like leather on the stock car is much more durable and easiter to care for.

-of course the nappa looks better. I have not kept a car longer than 15 months in 10 years, so I guess it doesn't matter. I told myself I would drive this thing for 4 years his time, but I always say that.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Mr.Burgandy
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT
Yes!!! Exactly why I didn't get the nappa dash (other than the fact that im not a fan of the contrast stitching).
I am really big on consistency and the standard dash seems to flow better with the rest of the interior's materials. Also, not all of the stitching is contrast stitching which I wasn't a fan of either.
I agree, the nappa dash is cool, but a bit too delicate for me... Can easily be scratched...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

In my opinion, the nappa leather dash with contrast stitching refines the interior dramatically and gives it more upscale quality which makes it stand out more in terms of details. Honestly, I have it in my X6 and wouldn't hesitate to order it in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
rajkohli81
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport Convertible

I understand the post-July 2012 640d M Sport Convertibles now come with leather covered dashboard and contrast stitching as standard.

I confirmed this with the local dealer (dubious source, I know), latest brochure and online configurator.

If anyone knows any different, please advise..
Appreciate 0