BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

My new 6 series vert delivered at last WOW!

Delivered fantastic

06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

06-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Looks amazing! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
shap650
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 x5 4.8i vermillion red

Beautiful car . Interior looks very nice with the blue
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Sensational. Worth the wait no doubt? Glad the sun was shining, the weather has been terrible down here in Bath.

Look forward to more pics and first impressions of the drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats! Dark blue and white is one of the best colour combinations on the planet
Looking forward to read your first impressions.
This will be your best summer ever!
      06-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
Rancor
Registered
Bosnia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 320d

Congrats it looks astonishing! Can you please tell me the ups/downs of the 640d when compared to he Jaguars XFS? I have been checking this forum everyday for months but never posted, all post have been helpful especially southerns and his blog. This made it easier for me to decide that I will be getting a 640d with M sport package and LEDs in the near future (was also cosidering A5 3.0 sline and BMW335d coupe).
The price for a used 640d is 6Xk EUR, when it gets near to the 50k area I ll definitely buy one!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi there Rancor - as much as I'm delighted with my 640d M Sport convertible, it can't hold a candle to the XKR convertible I've just chopped in. Sorry guys, but just my honest opinion. I change my cars every 3 years and will be going back to a Jaguar when the time comes. I couldn't face 6 years without a change, but now the novelty of the BM has worn off, I can't help thinking I've made a mistake, and an expensive one at that. 50K would get you a stunning nearly new XKR.

Last edited by RDT; 06-15-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Bshtoler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650xi Msport

Beautiful!! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

Congratulations, the long wait is finally over! Nice combo...more interior photos please. I'm also interested to hear your views once you have covered a few miles. Enjoy!

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT View Post
Hi there Rancor - as much as I'm delighted with my 640d M Sport convertible, it can't hold a candle to the XKR convertible I've just chopped in. Sorry guys, but just my honest opinion. I change my cars every 3 years and will be going back to a Jaguar when the time comes. I couldn't face 6 years without a change, but now the novelty of the BM has worn off, I can't help thinking I've made a mistake, and an expensive one at that. 50K would get you a stunning nearly new XKR.
I'm interested to hear what you miss about the XKR?

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
I have never driven the XK, so it would be interesting to hear your pros and contras by comparing the two cars. Especially since your opinion is different from most (all) reviews I've seen.
      06-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Firstly my apologies to RPB, it was insensitive given you've just taken delivery of yours, and after such a long wait, but I replied to Rancor without thinking. Don't get me wrong I'm delighted with my 6, but if it's an 8 out of 10, whilst the XKR is 9.5 in my humble opinion.

When I first saw the Jaguar in the showroom, I was bowled over by its beauty and let my heart rule my head, fully expecting it to under deliver, be unreliable etc - but quite the opposite. It purred along beautifully for 45,000 miles and never missed a beat. It was fast, quick, quiet and smooth. Drive position was exceptional and I've never sat in such a comfortable car. It came loaded as standard with all the extras you could wish for in the real world and I loved every minute I used to spend in it.

The BM I find rather clinical and unemotional. It's pretty enough, but not as pretty as the Jaguar. I find it a bit big inside and can't quite get as comfortable as I did in the Jag. Performance is great (but it's no V8) economy good etc. I've read a few reviews that find the BM hard to fault, but say it's not a car to fall in love with. I have to agree. I feel a bit disingenuous saying this, especially as everyone else seems to be totally besotted by the 6, but I guess that's why we're all here.

Happy to discuss further..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was very tempted by the XKR given its looks and exclusivity, but the touch screen nav. and reliability were major problems in my mind. I know that these have nothing to do with the car's driving dynamics, but they were important to me nonetheless. Luckily the 6er still affords me that exclusivity while simultaneously giving me a better reliability history, iDrive and HUD, and still a drop dead gorgeous car. I guess what I'm saying is the Poor Man's Aston Martin was a better car in my mind than in reality. While I tried to check practical concerns at the door when building this $100k car, I could not completely disregard these glaring issues. These are very personal issues, so I can see how some would easily take the XKR over the 6er. If I were older and more willing to deal with potential reliability head aches and didn't care as much about car tech, then I think I would've taken the Jag in a heart beat given the rarity of the Jag badge (compared to the BMW badge that has been slightly diluted by 1s, 3s, 5s, X5s, etc.). No regrets, but I can see why some would pick the XKR - it is a beautiful beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I first saw the Jaguar in the showroom, I was bowled over by its beauty and let my heart rule my head, fully expecting it to under deliver, be unreliable etc - but quite the opposite. It purred along beautifully for 45,000 miles and never missed a beat. It was fast, quick, quiet and smooth. Drive position was exceptional and I've never sat in such a comfortable car. It came loaded as standard with all the extras you could wish for in the real world and I loved every minute I used to spend in it.

The BM I find rather clinical and unemotional. It's pretty enough, but not as pretty as the Jaguar. I find it a bit big inside and can't quite get as comfortable as I did in the Jag. Performance is great (but it's no V8) economy good etc. I've read a few reviews that find the BM hard to fault, but say it's not a car to fall in love with. I have to agree. I feel a bit disingenuous saying this, especially as everyone else seems to be totally besotted by the 6, but I guess that's why we're all here.

Happy to discuss further..
Interesting that you mentioned the reliability as being a non-issue. I hope that this becomes the new trend for Jags as I would like to own one in the future - until I can bring myself to buy a Virage

I understand what you mean about the Jag having more character than the BMW. I think the 6er helps break that "BMW mold" with the sculpted, contrast stitched and Nappa-covered dash, but I still understand that feeling. I'm a major nerd, and I kinda like the clinical, OCD special that is the BMW 6er. I can't remember who wrote this specific review, but one person compared the driver of an XKR to the F12/13 driver, and they essenially said:

- The XKR driver is the British gentleman (very Bond-like) you'd expect to emerge from the car wearing a tuxedo and holding a bouquet of flowers in front of a chateau.

- The 650i driver will emerge wearing a white lab coat holding a cage filled with rats that were used as test animals for a number of G-force experiments.

These two stereotypes may be a bit extreme, but I think they're pretty accurate. As much as I would like to be the XKR driver, I am a scientist and nerd through and through - and proud of it . The 6er just seemed to make more sense to me.

Question, RDT: Have you driven the 650i to see how it compares with the 640d? I'm just curious for a side-by-side comparison of the two. I completely understand why y'all go for the diesels in the UK given the prices y'all pay for petrol.

I appreciate your opinion about the Jag as hearing a different opinion around here is a welcome change. I'm glad that almost everyone agrees with me on the brilliance of the 6er, but I really appreciate hearing what others (with far more experience with cars, brands, etc. than I have) have to say. We have a great gentleman's club going on this forum with a group of respectful, intelligent men (and women? I don't mean to be sexist ), so I am alway eager to learn what all of you have to say.

Last edited by southern6er22; 06-15-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Rancor
Registered
Bosnia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 320d

I do not doubt that the XKR is great, but the thing is that Jaguar doesnt have a diesel in the XK lineup
I know you are all suprised why I am saying that, but in this part of Europe the resale value of a car that runs benzin has lots of hp and has such a low mpg is horrible. Our roads are nothing to be proud of and also the speed limit is 50,60 km/h most of the time - which means a ticket every two weeks(besides I use the car for city driving 99%). Also I change cars every 2 years (had an Lexus IS 220d Premium Lexury before the XFS) so I would be losing too much money on the XKR.
The only alternatives for me are the Audi A5 or Bmw 335d coupe...

P.S. diesel price right now is 1,23 Euros per liter
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor View Post
I do not doubt that the XKR is great, but the thing is that Jaguar doesnt have a diesel in the XK lineup
Pardon my neglect:

Welcome to the forum, Rancor! Thank you for the previous kind words about me and my blog. I'm glad some are finding it helpful. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have any questions. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'm always happy to weigh in with an opinion

I understand your reasons for the diesel. I wish I could provide some kind of guidence regarding the 640d. I have compared the 550i to the 650i back to back, and there was definitely a difference. Straight line acceleration may be similar, but the way the cars handle and feel are night and day. I'd imagine that the 535d and the 640d would show a similar relationship to their petrol cousins.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

wow congrats!

that's the best color combo

what interior trim did you get, if you don't mind my asking
      06-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Love that Blue color with the black top it looks amazing congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for everyone’s comments – delighted with the car my initial impressions “pure joy” – where have I heard that slogan before? I will post some more pictures and comments later. I am struggling with the media a little but getting there, my only minor issue is the key remote programming and functionality re: lock window close and mirror fold it’s not working as it should.
I will be sad to see my Jag XFS go on Monday I’m sure I will return to the XF or at least the Jaguar brand again. It’s been overall the best car I’ve had to date and from a driver’s point of view as near perfection as you can get. The 6 series was not initially on my radar as I thought it out of reach due BIK tax, monthly lease rates and practicality( as I have two children of school age) and this car is approaching £80k ish – so Maserati/Aston Martin territory. However the CO2‘s are very low so the BIK % is only 22% so the tax is similar to XF worth half the price! It has as much torque as the star ship Enterprise will do 50mpg the tech goodies are awesome (make the XF quiet Victorian) and we won’t mention the 0-60 time! The test car I drove was a delight so fell head over heels immediately. The broker we used had an amazing deal with their BMW dealer so with this massive discount and the support offered by BMW means the monthly lease was less than the XF!

I now love the BM it’s awesome.
      06-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Congrats! Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0