BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
cortwagner
CDub
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The M Brand has lost it's way:

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have, for the past 5 years been daily driving two E60 M5's and an 09' dct M3 for the last year. All brilliant cars with perfect driving ergonomics (seat position and support, steering wheel design and thickness, controls in the right place), the right motor noises and driver engagement.
Now, I have just spent 3 weeks and a thousand miles in a new M6 (yes it was a convertible so I know it's on the soft side), but regardless, seriously, they honestly put an M badge on this thing?
Seats are terrible flat boards with no latteral support. Yes, they look good, but I guess because I am not 300 lbs and dont even come close to the sides, they are pretty much useless for any type of sporty driving. Steering wheel is nice, not great, not thick enough, again it looks good but doesnt feel right. All the new M seats are just wrong, I have driven M5, now M6, they all just suck.
Yes, the motor and transmission are very strong and work well together bu the chassis cant do anyhting with it as it just falls all over itself when leaned on or hustled in any way.
EDC, as with most M cars works well but just makes the car too stiff in "high speed bump" for the shocks, does not control the weight, just stiffens everyhting up to harshness.
Did I say big, I mean really, do we need the flagship M car being the size of a 2000' 740i, I mean the car has tons of mass, it is always in a state of confusion.
The brakes have th be the best part, great feel, big stopping power, no fade and overall excellent.
I AM PRAYING THE M4 COUP DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO THESE TRAITS. I saw it in Monterey and my first thought was that it looked like a 5 series coup, again, why do all these cars have to be so big? Oh yeah, so they can make a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7 series and 5 varients of each......wrong direction if you ask me.
I am still loving my 09' M3 with DCT and lots of Dinan goodies, this is a true M car.....maybe the last but I hope not.
BMW has a chance to get it right with the new M3 and M4 but my guessing is that the main reason why Audi and Mercedes are doing so well has a lot to do with the fact that they wont.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Try a 6MT M5 or M6.

I have also owned an 02 E39 M5 6MT, 06 E60 M5 SMG, and currently own an E92 M3 DCT along the F10 M5 6MT, and I would not say that BMW has lost its way at all. The cars are little numb compared to the previous mentioned but if you push them hard with a manual, they are amazing machines. As much as I loved the E39 and the E60, the F10 is best M5 to date.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0