BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Suggestions for new battery

Hi guys, long time no post - been too lazy

Anyway, I think my battery is on its way out because when I try to start the car after 1 week of not driving it, it turns over but is almost out of juice

I used an optima red top on my rx8 and it works really well and stores the charge so well as I am lead to believe that these AMG batteries are good for it.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Optima would be my choice but not sure if it suits a diesel - got the 640d like most here
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

You need an AGM battery correct equally dont forget it may need coding and the windows etc. Reprogramming to drop when open and closed...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
You need an AGM battery correct equally dont forget it may need coding and the windows etc. Reprogramming to drop when open and closed...
Oh never mind that then - too much hassle

What is the best battery that can be swapped directly without reprogramming the car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

There is no battery that does not need to be "registered" with the car. The charging system alters how it charges a battery through the life of the battery. Your system is now in a mode for charging an old used battery. When you install a new battery apparently the system can not automatically recognize that fact and will treat it as an old battery and overcharge it. Registering the batter just tells the system to start over with the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
There is no battery that does not need to be "registered" with the car. The charging system alters how it charges a battery through the life of the battery. Your system is now in a mode for charging an old used battery. When you install a new battery apparently the system can not automatically recognize that fact and will treat it as an old battery and overcharge it. Registering the batter just tells the system to start over with the new battery.
Wow, seems pretty complex. I thought it would be a direct swap. Is this because of iDrive?

So the best thing is to let BMW change the battery ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

This only has to do with the "charging system" of the car and nothing else. I'd look for an independent garage that specializes in BMW's to have the battery registered AFTER I replaced the battery myself if you want to save money. I haven't done it yet on my 6 series but I did on my previous 1 series and the "registering" cost ~$75 and took about 1/2 an hour. You can drive the car with the system overcharging for a while before it will do any harm to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
This only has to do with the "charging system" of the car and nothing else. I'd look for an independent garage that specializes in BMW's to have the battery registered AFTER I replaced the battery myself if you want to save money. I haven't done it yet on my 6 series but I did on my previous 1 series and the "registering" cost ~$75 and took about 1/2 an hour. You can drive the car with the system overcharging for a while before it will do any harm to the battery.
Thanks bud
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

yes for sure needs coding, don't go to halfords or LEx what ever you do, some years ago i had my 330d pack replaced and i had no end spurious issues, such as interior lights, sunroof initialisation etc, best to find a good independent
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'd just have BMW do it. If the window drops need to be reprogrammed, that seems like it would be an immediate problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Just bring some vaseline with you if you let BMW do it. If you loose window indexing when you disconnect the battery here is what I found on the internet to correct the problem.

Control procedure for initialization:

Press the window 'open' switch beyond the second switching position. When the window has reached the lower final position, operate the switch for at least 15 seconds but not longer than 25 seconds.

Then let go of the button and immediately pull the switch beyond the 'close window' position. Do not let go of the switch!

The window now moves into the top final position, stops, then moves to the lower final position, stops again and then moves back to the upper final position. The switch must be held in the "pulled beyond engaging point" position during the entire procedure.

Once the window has reached the upper final position, the initialization is complete.
Appreciate 0